How hard do you run your FJR, and how often?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode my FJR today and didn't even start the motor. The power sucked, but it got Hella gas mileage.
Downhill both ways? Kinda tough on the shoe leather otherwise.
unsure.png
No, he sat on it and made "Vroom, vroom" noises.
While dressed like the biker guy from The Village People.

I rode my FJR today and didn't even start the motor. The power sucked, but it got Hella gas mileage.
unsure.png

No need for that. He has the gay VP police uniform that he entertains the captain with at review time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was always wondering since it is a sport touring bike, how often do you take your FJ to 6, 7, 8k RPM's?
<snark>Only twice with every gear shift. Once as I go to 9k RPM (by the way since R stands for "Revolutions" and makes the 's redundant) and once back through the 6-8 RPM range as I let off.</snark>

Seriously, I've spent multiple hours at a time for multiple days in the 7-8 RPM range and it runs just fine. It does, however, start to throw error codes if you run at 9200 rpm after 15 minutes or so if you forget to shift into 5th gear. But, the error light goes away when you settle back to 7-8.

But, I've only got 168,000 miles on my FJR...so I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last doing this.

unsure.png
No need for that. He has the gay VP police uniform that he entertains the captain with at review time.
Fuck...I wish it was that easy!

unsure.png
Fuck...I wish it was that easy!
Please tell me you don't have to dance and sing!
omg2.gif

The frequency of red-line is exponentially correlated to the frequency of rear tire replacement.
punk.gif
There's a reason the front tire lasts longer than the rear. It's just a matter of simple math:

Less time on the pavement = less wear on the tire...

Besides, it's not how high ya run the engine - it's how high ya run the front wheel.

fjr1300wheelie_zpsbb4726a0.jpg

Sorry, shafties get equal time on the ground per tire. Stop with all that photoshop nonsense.

Sorry, shafties get equal time on the ground per tire. Stop with all that photoshop nonsense.
What you fail to realize is that the bike pictured is an '06. It was an accident that the front wheel came up. It was all due to the abrupt, jerky, uncontrollable throttle response of the early Gen2s.

Also, his saddlebags were heavily loaded which contributed to the unintentional wheelie. He was carrying a full load of new cam chain tensioners and valve guides for emergency repairs to the Gen1s.

Or, more likely, it was photoshopped. No way a bike that heavy could pull a power wheelie.

My first time ever on an FJR rode I like I stole it, then I remembered oh yeah I did, Co worker said hey take my bike for a ride, 1800 miles and three days later I remember where he lived, then went out and bought my own, have been on one since

I ride mine hard ALL THE TIME. But my opinion of riding hard may be different than yours.

By the way, if you're in second gear at 6,000 rpm or higher, you sho'nuff can get into trouble.

Awesome looks like I stirred up a little bit of controversy. First off, apologies for the incorrect terminology. By me putting FJ, that would be my laziness of not feeling like typing another letter on the end. I figured enthused on the forum here could decipher the difference I meant from the 80's FJ1200 and 1100's from the current FJR's but apparently not, so I will be more specific and grammatically correct.

The main reason for asking the question since I suppose you cannot get a straight answer on this forum without fully explaining yourself would be the reliability of the bike is your are consistently running the piss out of it. Sure the bike will last 200k miles if you never take it over 5k, but will it if your are running it close to double digit rpm's all of the time?

I had a 2003 R6 I did track days with that I consistently shifted at 14.5k all day long every day, knowing it was built for it and never had a problem. I have a Suzuki B-King that makes 180 at the wheel that I abuse pretty well and know that most likely it will not have any problems due to the second gen bullet proof Busa motor.

So to be more specific, no one knows when or how a bike will break, but how will does the FJR1300 hold up to abuse. It's not an R6 or R1 that is taken on a track and putting a knee down on the asphalt..though I have, but just looking for some opinions, that's all.

Give me a break here, how many 25 years olds do you know have an fjr :cool:

I'm pretty sure Ignacio already answered that question a while back.
wink.png

These bikes are built for the long haul. There's issues here and there, but otherwise, they are designed to take abuse and there's a reason why they do so well in the Iron Butt Rally. If you think those guys are putt putting from bonus to bonus you would be wrong. Although, this past year it seems they put the squash on some of the antics by monitoring speeds.

Redfish Hunter, the only way that wheel came up in the air is if they lifted the front of that barge with a crane and dropped it. Shafties can't wheelie, it's physics sir and it's plain impossible.

I'm pretty sure Ignacio already answered that question a while back.
wink.png
I did not read past this admins shit first post, just skimmed over the 3 pages.

And I really hope your kidding about the picture of the FJR pulling a wheelie...ive had mine at that height multiple times.

eyjohn, you really need to take a moment to read all the responses. On this forum you will get the information you need or want but it often comes with a healthy dose of sarcasm. Almost all of it is worth your time.

There are several responses that answered your somewhat goofy question. If you ask the question and then do not read the responses how are we supposed to help you?

And go easy on our admin guys. They are hugely unpopular here and that makes them very grouchy.

Hmmmm.....I never thought about this. Being deaf I damn sure cant hear it. I usually just pull out and "let er eat" Eyelids get to flappin at speed and I cant read the tach. Only have one good eye so I tend to use it to see where I am going. Tried to use it to see where I have been, but all I can see is a friggen elbow. So in answer to your question: I honestly don't know.

Can't be bothered to type the extra letter and can't be bothered to read the replies? Sorry, I've tried my best here. I'll do one final bit of the work for you. Here's the response I was referring to.

Seriously, I've spent multiple hours at a time for multiple days in the 7-8 RPM range and it runs just fine. It does, however, start to throw error codes if you run at 9200 rpm after 15 minutes or so if you forget to shift into 5th gear. But, the error light goes away when you settle back to 7-8.
But, I've only got 168,000 miles on my FJR...so I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last doing this.