How is the FJR around town?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teleios

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering the FJR. I love the power, the sleek look, the comfort. But, I'm wondering how it works for you gents around town.

It seems like I'm either riding 5 miles (around town) or 500 (road trip).

Is it difficult to manage around town (parking lots, grocery store runs, restaurants)?

Thanks.

Steven

Teleios,

although the FJR is heavy, to me the weight , or center of gravity is low. My previous BMW was 80 lbs lighter but seemed more top heavy than the FJR. After a few rides, the weight and bulk seems to be very manageable.

I ride it to work every day, have since I got it in 2007. Thing is, my employer's location moved, and it's now less than 2 miles to work. Some days I go straight there, some days I try to make at least ten or fifteen miles in an indirect loop. It's not fun in traffic, though, so the loop usually happens on the way home from work.

As for groceries, if I know the weather's good I leave the rain gear at home (usually kept in the right side case, and between the side cases and top case I can get 1/3rd of a grocery cart onto the bike.

Dense traffic sucks in the summer heat, but the bike can make moves in traffic no car ever will, and you can usually move along on your merry way pretty well.

The FJR is not any worse handling than any other comparable size scoot. IMHO, it is one of the best at slow speed handling, once you get proficient with it. As with any new bike, hit a parking lot and practice, practice, practice those slow speed maneuvers and when you can ride a circle nearly against the steering stop, you'll be ready for the blue hairs in their Buicks at the grocery store.

I use mine for grocery shopping/errand running, back and forth to work, and an occasional long trip. I find it to be a very good swiss army knife type bike that leans toward touring.

To be honest it's not my favorite bike in town. I had a Bandit 1200 that was a lot more fun to ride around town. The FJR is at its best haulin' at high speed. Not that it's bad--it's just such overkill for 25mph or 35mph....

That being said, your 500 mile day will convince you that you made a good choice if you get one.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's your first bike get the frame sliders for low speed tip overs.

If it's not your first bike still get the sliders.

The FJR is no big deal around town (you still have to do that on long trips) however she is 650 lbs and IF she goes over in that slow speed situation you can't stop it but the sliders will save you $$.

I think there may be one or two of us who can attest to the value of frame sliders.

If it's your first bike get the frame sliders for low speed tip overs.

If it's not your first bike still get the sliders.

The FJR is no big deal around town (you still have to do that on long trips) however she is 650 lbs and IF she goes over in that slow speed situation you can't stop it but the sliders will save you $$.

I think there may be one or two of us who can attest to the value of frame sliders.

I've owned a dozen bikes including a BMW GS Adventure with a 9 gallon tank, so I know heavy. My current bike is an 800GS and it's great around town but I'm sick of riding such a tall bike.

Sliders are a good idea. Several I've looked at used have them.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

I prefer a lighter, nimbler bike (dl650) when in traffic/town. The FJR is a great 'do it all' bike. It doesn't give up much in any arena. Sure, other bikes are better at specific tasks, but few, if any do it all like the FJR.

Around town: personally, I prefer something with no fairing or windshield for slow speed duty from April through October... too hot around here. For example, I just helped my daughter buy a 1973 cb350 four Honda. What a blast from the past. I can go through the gears hitting the 10 k redline and still not break the speed limit. That little four cylinder sounds like a symphony. How can you argue with the fun factor and the handling of a lightweight like that for around town duty? Obviously, the FJR just doesn't compare. But then, I don't have the luxury or the room of owning more than one bike. And for everything above 40 mph, the FJR is the hands down winner, no matter which bike ya compare it to. The combination of handling, power, weight, appearance, comfort, storage space, price and reliability puts the FJR in a class of its own.

Gary

darksider #44

If you can only have one bike, the FJR is fine in town but somewhat out of its design element. True, it has good low speed characteristics and its been used as a police bike. But its not optimal for slow speed city commuting. My FJR is used for trips. My daily commuter is a 250, 2008 Ninjette Kawasaki. Nimble, cornering dream, great gas mileage and way superior to my FJR in city stop and go traffic. I've got soft bags to carry rain gear etc. but hey the FJR will get you there if that's all you have.

Bill

Kind of agree with what most have said... as in "around town" is no issue.

I mean, are you going to be on dirt bike trails around your town? cuz it won't do well there. But there isn't a u-turn I can't make where I live. When there's some construction it might be wise to avoid the make shift gravel drives into the affected business' ...

But honestly, I've no issues whatsoever around town... none. Would a smaller bike be more easy to handle? yes, absolutely. But you can get use to a bigger bike without too much effort, and when you get on the "open road"... yer good to go :)

Maybe the best way to put it would be "I don't hesitate to ride the feej around town, there aren't any roads that cause me consternation or anything like that".

good luck with your choice.

The FJR is not a lot of fun in stop and go traffic, mostly because of the heat it throws off. And you will start to feel the weight after a while. But it does handle better than most bikes at low speeds, and with the low center of gravity, you almost never have to put your feet down. Of course, on the longer trips you can't beat it. I also have an 85 Yamaha Maxim-x I preffer in town. Being a water cooled Yamie, it also gets hot in stop and go, just not quite as hot.

Agree with what's been posted above, not bad around town, but in summer heat and stop and go traffic, once the fans kick in it can get toasty.

They work great as grocery run mobile though!

2 weeks worth of food and a 55lb bag of dog food!

GroceryRun.jpg

I love it. I did several runs to Lowe's and Home Depot today for various bits of hardware and such. I live 5 winding miles of road away from the local shopping area, unless I'm out for lumber, the truck stays in the driveway! :-D

The heat doesn't bug me, and I think it handles like a dream. (I learned to ride on a 550lb+ 400cc cruiser though)

I guess I can consider myself lucky in getting the FJR as my VERY FIRST bike I owned and I can attest to it's nimbleness in one collision avoidance maneuver and a bad parking lot maneuver. But that nimbleness betrays the tip over momentum generated by it's 600+ lb. frame. It's not tippy, but heaven help you if you set your foot down on an off-camber slope or traction deficient surface. Funny thing is I never dropped the bike (close, but not as of yet). but a momentary brain fart in the garage nearly caused the FJR to pin me to the wall and bust a mirror off.

And the AES' "manumatic-like" clutch is sweet in stop and go traffic. B)

It's great going up to the checkout counter in ATGATT with my helmet in the cart with half a shopping cart full and a bag of dog food. The clerks never believe that I'm putting it all on a bike, priceless!

Mine has been a great around town bike for years. :yahoo:

As with autorotate....the truck sits in the driveway and the bike is used 5:1.

My commute is 20 miles one-way, but I used the FJR for errands around my local township, too.