How long can you balance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black mamba

Reaction score
Just curious about this one. Like all of us, I'm sure, when stopping at red lights, etc. I'll often try and see how long I can stay balanced before having to put my feet down. As I focused more on this endeavor, I found myself getting a little better at increasing my times.....but still only reaching 3-4 seconds under ideal conditions ( no wind or other extraneous influences ). The type of tire has a lot to do with it. Big, fat tires like one would find on a cruiser would be a big help. Our more performance oriented tires with somewhat of a " point " on them don't help matters.

In any event, I reached a personal record today of approximately 10 seconds. I say approximately because I was using the old one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two timing system....could hardly look at my watch. I wonder if any cagers around me found my body maneuvering interesting as I was trying to hang on as long as I could. I'm claiming a world record.

That's easy. Just as you come to a stop, grab a fistful of clutch with one hand, a fistful of throttle and two fingers of front brake with the other, and DUMP THAT CLUTCH. Dialing up 8 grand of tire shredding revs on the motor is MORE than enough to give you the centrifugal stability to hold that pose through an entire red light. Cagers love this, plus, it saves wear on the bottom of your boots.

Interesting....so I'm not the only one! Though I've never timed myself, I do try to time stop signs and signals so that I can pull up, stop, wait for the intersection to clear and drive through without putting my feet down. One problem, I think that putting one foot down is how the CHP determines you've come to a complete stop, so one would need to be extra careful.

One problem, I think that putting one foot down is how the CHP determines you've come to a complete stop, so one would need to be extra careful.
Ever heard the term, "California Stop"? I thought stopping in CA was merely optional.

In NC you are required to put both feet down, by letter of the law. At least that's what the trooper told me who was looking for a reason to turn on his blue lights.

I have no idea how long I can keep both feet on the pegs. I think I'll try Ari's technique next chance I get. Anybody got a spare Metzler?

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever heard the term, "California Stop"? I thought stopping in CA was merely optional.
Then someone should tell the CHP and local enforcement officers. I DO come to a complete stop. Enough so, that the suspension levels itself and the bike settles. The issue would be exactly what Jeff posted about the "letter" of the law, the overall actions of the motorcyclist vs. the mood of the officer. One would hope that a squidly sportbiker had not just evaded said officer when he witnessed my "stopping technique" without putting a foot down.

Be careful out there for its a troubled world we live in.

One problem, I think that putting one foot down is how the CHP determines you've come to a complete stop, so one would need to be extra careful.
Ohhhh, no. The constabulary loves to tag roll throughs. Easy-peasy pickin's. One foot down and you're stopped, though I never heard of a roll through with foot down - Hmmmm, guinea pig anyone? :lol:

As for the balance stop... Never counted, but maybe 5 seconds - tops.

How long does it take to go from vertical to horizontal? I know I could keep my feet on the pegs for at least that long. :eek:

Interesting....so I'm not the only one! Though I've never timed myself, I do try to time stop signs and signals so that I can pull up, stop, wait for the intersection to clear and drive through without putting my feet down. One problem, I think that putting one foot down is how the CHP determines you've come to a complete stop, so one would need to be extra careful.
+1

Ohhhh, no. The constabulary loves to tag roll throughs. Easy-peasy pickin's. One foot down and you're stopped, though I never heard of a roll through with foot down - Hmmmm, guinea pig anyone? :lol:

As for the balance stop... Never counted, but maybe 5 seconds - tops.

Roller skates? :p :p :p :p :p

I have thought the same. I try to hold it but I usually have to put a foot down 2-3 seconds after I stop. I have seen bicyclists maintain the entire red light without putting a foot down. But, then again, they are 600 lbs lighter.

"Also in Oklahoma putting your feet down is indication of a stop. "

yep, found that out the hard way. He was pretty cool and didn't ticket me.

Putting a foot down as an indication of a stop is stupid... since I can lower my left foot, and keep right on rolling....

Putting a foot down as an indication of a stop is stupid... since I can lower my left foot, and keep right on rolling....
You've missed the point. It's not whether you've stopped or not, the letter of the law says you must put your foot down while stopped.

If'n yuh puts yer leff phoot down en jist keepsa rollin' en yewer gunna git a tikkit, fore shore.

You've missed the point. It's not whether you've stopped or not, the letter of the law says you must put your foot down while stopped.
But if I'm rolling really really slowly, how's he gonna know if my foot made contact or not? I don't see what value my foot being up or down has to do with it. If the bike is completely balanced, and my feet are on the pegs, and I sit for 5 seconds, what benefit is my foot hitting the ground? It's an indicator to the cop that I've stopped. Well, if I can do the same balancing act, and have my foot skimming the pavement... he'll never know the difference.

Last edited by a moderator: