How long can you balance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious about this one. Like all of us, I'm sure, when stopping at red lights, etc. I'll often try and see how long I can stay balanced before having to put my feet down. As I focused more on this endeavor, I found myself getting a little better at increasing my times.....but still only reaching 3-4 seconds under ideal conditions ( no wind or other extraneous influences ). The type of tire has a lot to do with it. Big, fat tires like one would find on a cruiser would be a big help. Our more performance oriented tires with somewhat of a " point " on them don't help matters.
In any event, I reached a personal record today of approximately 10 seconds. I say approximately because I was using the old one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two timing system....could hardly look at my watch. I wonder if any cagers around me found my body maneuvering interesting as I was trying to hang on as long as I could. I'm claiming a world record.
Congradulation! You are not alone in this. I suggest you attend a trails event. By the way if you move the front end slightly a few degrees left then right etc. you will be surprised with the results. In the motor cycle classes I taught for over 20 years we taught the students to use the rebound of the front end to allow the placement of the left foot on the groung to allow the right foot to cover the rear brake for safety. Let us know when you can balance for the whole light it's a rush, but nerve racking.
I'm a trials rider and I do this all the time. I never put my foot down at stop signs (yes I do stop) but a just turned light is tough.

Here ya go.. balance forever. This is the special order TWN is placing for his new beemer! :rolleyes:
BMW-F650SC-Training.jpg
Sweet! Yet another reason not to go KTM... Those don't look long enough for the 990! :fuck:

For a minute there I thought that picture really was TWN. Then, I realized the guy in the picture is much too young.

Can't recall the last time I came to a complete stop, except for a light of course, and I'm working on that one. ;) My invisibility seems to know no bounds, apparently.

My best is about 8 seconds, and I think that was a fluke because I only average about 4-5 seconds.

In NC you are required to put both feet down, by letter of the law. At least that's what the trooper told me who was looking for a reason to turn on his blue lights.
I have no idea how long I can keep both feet on the pegs. I think I'll try Ari's technique next chance I get. Anybody got a spare Metzler?

:lol:

+1 on the feet down for the Leo's - Stefano (Teerex51) and I had an opportunity to 'discuss' it with an occifer last summer outside Asheville, NC. :blink:

JW

If they want you they will get you. Sometimes its just blind ass luck that either gets you a ticket or not.
Luck? Nah.

While some may not like hearing it, luck is not the primary factor - attitude, and how you communicate with the LEO has a much more profound effect.

If that was the case I would have been totally ticket free when I was getting them.

Hmm, are you MO taught by the MSF instructors?
No, we are trained by fellow motor officers. Many differences between learning to ride safely as a cop vs. learning to ride safe, in general. However, nearly all of our motor officers are or have been MSF instructors themselves for Team Oregon. So, maybe the answer to your question is...yes? :huh:

Our motor officers are trained to only drop the left foot, not both. The right foot is covering the brake so our right hand is free. The left foot is on the ground and the left hand is sucking in the clutch so that the bike can remain in gear...for when dummy comes flying up from behind too fast and I want to get out of the way.
So how are they taught the low-speed balance skills? I usually marvel at the balance of the motor officers, especially CHP. What's the drill like?
Hey, I can't give away all the secrets now!

This just reminded of: A buddy of mine was at bike week at Daytona looking at bikes at the curb and an old fart (or is it "old phart"?) comes cruising up on an old 45 inch HD. The guy stops and looks back over his shoulder (keeping his feet on the floorboards), reaches down and puts it into reverse (must have been a sidecar tranny) and backs into the parking space! :dribble: He put the side stand out, leans the bike over then puts his foot on the ground!

He totally ignored the crowd watching him and started to walk away... A guy asked him "How did you do that?", Totally straight faced he answered "Its got reverse." and kept walking. :yahoo:

I still wonder how long he practiced that. :lol:

Hmm, are you MO taught by the MSF instructors?
No, we are trained by fellow motor officers. Many differences between learning to ride safely as a cop vs. learning to ride safe, in general. However, nearly all of our motor officers are or have been MSF instructors themselves for Team Oregon. So, maybe the answer to your question is...yes? :huh:
I would suspect that as well. We do have a few bike cops in the program as well.

What surprised me in your answer is your guys are taught by another guy in the department. Here in IL, at least those departments that I know cops from, send their guys to a special school in FL I think. I had a chance to take it as well, but just could not afford to shall out few grand from my pocket. And had a hard time convincing my director that this school would make me better geek :yahoo:

I will often stop 15 ft or so short at a red light and just roll at a snail's pace until it changes.

In NC you are required to put both feet down, by letter of the law. At least that's what the trooper told me who was looking for a reason to turn on his blue lights.
I have no idea how long I can keep both feet on the pegs. I think I'll try Ari's technique next chance I get. Anybody got a spare Metzler?

:lol:
Interesting. I did not know that was NC law. I would challenge that in court. I would simply tell the judge that my right foot was on the brake pedal and I did not want to roll into the vehicle that was behind me or in front of me.

Just curious about this one. Like all of us, I'm sure, when stopping at red lights, etc. I'll often try and see how long I can stay balanced before having to put my feet down. As I focused more on this endeavor, I found myself getting a little better at increasing my times.....but still only reaching 3-4 seconds under ideal conditions ( no wind or other extraneous influences ). The type of tire has a lot to do with it. Big, fat tires like one would find on a cruiser would be a big help. Our more performance oriented tires with somewhat of a " point " on them don't help matters.
In any event, I reached a personal record today of approximately 10 seconds. I say approximately because I was using the old one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two timing system....could hardly look at my watch. I wonder if any cagers around me found my body maneuvering interesting as I was trying to hang on as long as I could. I'm claiming a world record.
This is something I do all the time. I'll come up behind a line of cars at a stop sign and try to stop, advance, stop, advance, until I get through the stop sign without ever stabing a foot down. I often keep the feet up as long as I can at red lights but have never made it through a full red yet.

As far a getting a ticket goes, I don't think 3-5 seconds at a dead stop, feet up would get you a ticket, at least not in the town I live in.

We have a couple of Moto-cops that I have followed up to stop signs and they rarely put a foot down.

by the way, 10 seconds.....thats pretty good! :clapping:

I like to masturbate while I am waiting for a light to change...of course, I have to put the kick stand down first.....it's just a habit.

Nevada states you must come to a "controlled stop" which leaves much subjectivity to the occifer and the dujde as to what "controlled" means. Sure, 10 seconds both feet up and you holding still may be controlled. 10 seconds of you waving the handlebars side to side to maintain balance would not be viewed as controlled. Where the dividing line is at is unclear. Gotta love law.

I was a trials rider in my 20s, and have raced bicycles for years - in my prime I measured my balance time in minutes, now that I'm older and my balance is shot I have trouble balancing my bicycle through a full red light cycle, and I'm in the 5 - 10 second range on the FJR. In trials riding, putting a foot down is a major sin, and this message is burned into my brain; any time I'm on two wheels it becomes a matter of honor to keep my feet on the pegs (pedals) unless I'm planning on getting off.

One of the drills I was taught during my last skills upgrade course was to try riding in stop-n-go rush hour traffic (~20km from the office to home) without ever putting your foot down. It takes total concentration, but it sure beats sitting there fuming about the @$%@ traffic. I've actually managed to do it a couple of times.

Chris

Latest posts