How long can you balance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here ya go.. balance forever. This is the special order TWN is placing for his new beemer! :rolleyes:
BMW-F650SC-Training.jpg
Those aren't training wheels! THESE are training wheels!!

GWtrainingwheels.jpg

and these?

14848.jpg

What surprised me in your answer is your guys are taught by another guy in the department. Here in IL, at least those departments that I know cops from, send their guys to a special school ...
I probably could have been more clear. It's not a situation where an officer takes the new guy out in the parking lot for a little bit. We do attend schools, they're just taught by motor officers. The schools run two weeks up here.

I lucked out when I went thru it in 1999. My agency sent me and a co-worker up to a school put on the by the Washington State Patrol at their academy in Shelton, Washington. They have an outstanding driving track up there with every variable you could imagine. Fantastic place to train to be a motor cop.

I was a trials rider in my 20s, and have raced bicycles for years - in my prime I measured my balance time in minutes, now that I'm older and my balance is shot I have trouble balancing my bicycle through a full red light cycle, and I'm in the 5 - 10 second range on the FJR. In trials riding, putting a foot down is a major sin, and this message is burned into my brain; any time I'm on two wheels it becomes a matter of honor to keep my feet on the pegs (pedals) unless I'm planning on getting off.
One of the drills I was taught during my last skills upgrade course was to try riding in stop-n-go rush hour traffic (~20km from the office to home) without ever putting your foot down. It takes total concentration, but it sure beats sitting there fuming about the @$%@ traffic. I've actually managed to do it a couple of times.

Chris
I/We also started on bicycles...then trials riding there is no better sense of acomplishment than beating your bud's in a no foot down contest! Group rides turn into a hoot once you start the GAME! i.e. Harley/cruiser riders have a lower, wider, c.g and they

can't stay foot up if their life depended on it!!!