How old is too old when buying a tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyQuest

Reaction score
After reading many of the notes regarding tire replacements for our FJR's, I decided to bite the bullit and order a pair of Continental Road Attack 22 Evo's, for my 2005 gen 1 FJR, off ebay. Standard size front, but went to a 190 for the rear.  I received the tires shortly, and am a bit disappointed with the age.  The front shows a date stamp of 3018 (July 2018), and the rear 4116 (October 2016).  I did not get any special deal.  I read somewhere that tire age is really more of an issue when on the bike, exposed to the elements. But paying full boat for  new tires and getting a 3yr old and 5 yr old tire, seems like I wasted my money.  Should I send them back, and try again with another supplier to get "somewhat" fresh tires?   

3 years is ok if they were stored properly.  5 years is pushing the envelope a bit.  Again, storage conditions are probably at least as important as age.

Thanks Ross, that is pretty much what I thought.  Since I have no way of knowing how the tires were stored, I think I will contact the seller and see what he is willing to do, if anything.  

If there is no joy from the seller, I would carefully examine the tire for signs of oxidation and small cracks.  Personally, I might decide to use it but that might depend on where I was planning to ride.  Considering how little some people ride, I'm sure there are a lot of bikes out there with older rubber.  (I have never had a set last as much as a half season.)

If in doubt, it isn't worth the risk.  Certainly wouldn't use it for a track day or extreme twisties.  Or on a loaded bike with passenger and luggage.

I recently mounted a set of Bridgestones on both bikes and all four tires we dated in 2018.  I bought them when they had a rebate going and expected to use them more quickly.  At any rate, they were stored lying flat in my cool, dry shop, and I'm not the least bit concerned.

Edited:

Didn't proof very well.  Tires are dated 2018.  

My brother refused to spend the money on his used ST1300 for new tires. I went to ride with him (in another state) and found he was riding on 13 year old Bridgestones (not great to begin with). He said the tread is still good, but I said the checking and cracking and dryness is bad for anything!  I pitched PR4s for great all around performance.

Last Christmas he got a bonus of $500 or so, and that made him go get 2 new tires. His first comment was 'It rides like a whole new bike' .   Duh I responded.

My point is some folks ride old tires all the time.  It's their butt in the saddle.  I think 3-5 yrs old is fine (but not new) for most bikes.  Get some $ back, or ask next time.

New tires usually feel better than old, worn out tires.  Both my bikes feel much better now too.  :)

The tires on the FJR had about 10,000 miles on them, mostly highway.  It's amazing how much better the new ones feel.  

If in doubt, it isn't worth the risk.  Certainly wouldn't use it for a track day or extreme twisties.  Or on a loaded bike with passenger and luggage.
Ross makes a good point here.  Even if 'logically' you're ok with them but if there'll always be a little thought in the back of your mind then that could very well take away from both your riding enjoyment and maybe even more importantly how you're handling the bike at any given time.  If that's the case then it's just not worth it to keep them.

An old friend with terminal cancer gave me a 2005 Burgman in 2017 with less than < 1000 miles on the clock.  The tires were OEM and looked brand new, no checking at all.  Even so, I wouldn't even ride it until I'd changed them out.

I would agree that if you doubt them there's a reason and don't take the chance.  The tires I just mounted were three years old and stored properly.  I don't doubt them at all and will happily wear them out. 

I love this forum, I learn a lot and and always have to laugh at the humor offered.  Speaking of too old, my brother and I typically reserve a week each year, to spend riding together. I am 65, he is 67, I ride an 05, he rides an 07, coincidentally.  I am not too old, but he is! We are just a couple of old duffers on old FJR's. The girls don't notice us anymore, just the state police.  Good point made regarding two up and gear.  I think I will keep the 2018 tire, and return the 2016 tire.  After reading all I can, and with the comments offered, I am comfortable with a "new" tire of 2-3 years age, but not more that.  Thanks all, what a hoot. 

Okay, here is another question to this old, tired, and worn out thread.  But first, an update.  I did send back the one tire with the 4116 date code, re-ordered from another supplier, and guess what I got?  Another rear tire with a date code of 4116! So I am thinking the Road Attack 2 tire may be just to old, production wise, so I will send them both back, and probably go with Continental Road Attack 3's.  I like the idea of going to a 190 rear tire vs. the 180, to help turn-in a bit.  I have a 31" inseam (6' tall), so I think I can get away with it.  But my question is this?  Would the recommendation be to go with the RA3-GT, (which I can only get in the 180 size), or with the standard RA3's?  I believe the GT's have a little stiffer side wall, to handle more weight, (ie luggage and a pillion).  A set of each at RevZ are both about $350. What do you think?  (I appreciate your time to give me your opinion).