How R U Getting to the Start?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin24

IBA# 446
Reaction score
Saw a post in the "official" IBR forum where Matt comments on his strategy for getting to the start. (Towing with a few others). (Matt, who else is going to be in your caravan?)

This of course got me wondering what everyone elses approach is to getting to the start ready to go.

------------------------

For myself I am towing. I live up in Ottawa Canada which is about 500 miles from the start. My intent is to run the whole rally on one set of tires, which means having as fresh a set of tires on at the start as possible. If I were to run from home on the new set of tires I would use up about 3-5% of the tire just getting to the start. So I am strongly considering towing the bike down.

I considered doing what I had done in '11. Namely rode out to Seattle, got there a day early and had arranged for a local shop to install a fresh set. They did a good job, but having a strange shop work on my bike mere days before the start of the IBR made me incredibly nervous.

So this year I am doing all the pre-ride prep at home in my own shop. I can have the tire installed by a local shop I am used to dealing with. Bring them home, balance them myself with the Marc-Parnell balancer. Then install and _properly_ tighten all the bolts. (What is it with the shop mechanics that constantly want to overtighten everything!!!!) Plus it gives me a chance to do other last minute maintenance (oil change) and inspections in a climate controlled and well lit environment.

But that said, I keep thinking I might just eat the tire wear issue and ride down anyways.

I was wondering what everyone else's approach was (which would obviously vary depending on how far away you are from the start)

- Colin

I did look to see who I could find to provide the "oasis" nearby, but didn't find anybody. That method really worked well for me in '07 and '09.

You mentioned I'm trailering and coming out with Rusty Bachmann (newbie) and Paul Peloquin ('07 vet). Three of us driving makes the prospect of getting there a fairly business-like and direct plan. While I'm going to miss the acclimatizing process of living on a bike a few days before the event I do gain a ready-to-go bike that has 0 miles since a thorough service.

I'm a phat-ass so no way am I running one rear tire. I did with 10,000 miles on an ME-880 in '07, but it was a cupped unit by the end. I'll have my spare rim with fresh PR3 mounted and plan to put it on at the first checkpoint. Not having to remotely stress tires in '09 was by far better for me.

Right now my plan is to ride to the start. I will have the tires installed in West Palm Beach and ride the 1K to PA. My current tires have almost 16K on them now and look great. I rode out to Salt Lake City for the start of the 10n10.

I had tires installed there and took quite a hit on costs. So I think the 1k to PA will be sustainable and provide a scrub in period for the tires. Plus being a rookie, I will have enough to worry about without trying to line up tires there.

I really hope I don't regret the decision. AND everything for me is subject to change.
uhoh.gif

Iggy's trailering to the start???? What a pussy! :tease:

If I ever get to ride the IBR again, and I hope someday I get to, I will be Darksiding with a car tire so I don't have to worry about it. That being said, if using a moto-tire, I think I would try the whole IBR with a Pilot Road 2 on the front and rear, but have them installed very close to the start.

Even though I don't share Iggy's phat ass, I tend to run hard during the IBR and probably wear tires more quickly than many. Definitely more quickly than local riding. But I think the PR2s would last the whole rally for me. Though it would be close.

I live about 400 miles away from the start.... a huge improvement over the 2500 miles in 2011! My initial plan is replace the tires just prior to leaving... I have a second set of wheels which I will use to swap out for fresh rubber at the first checkpoint. I plan on running PR2s as I have not had enough run time on the PR3s.

I am also toying with the idea of changing the tires (ie wheel swap) just prior to the start and going the distance on a set of PR2s. Decisions.....decisions.....

I'll be riding to the start, about 750 miles. I will have a new PR2 on the front and probably a pretty new Darkside special on the back. Tires are not a concern.

I did look to see who I could find to provide the "oasis" nearby, but didn't find anybody. That method really worked well for me in '07 and '09.
You mentioned I'm trailering and coming out with Rusty Bachmann (newbie) and Paul Peloquin ('07 vet). Three of us driving makes the prospect of getting there a fairly business-like and direct plan. While I'm going to miss the acclimatizing process of living on a bike a few days before the event I do gain a ready-to-go bike that has 0 miles since a thorough service.

I'm a phat-ass so no way am I running one rear tire. I did with 10,000 miles on an ME-880 in '07, but it was a cupped unit by the end. I'll have my spare rim with fresh PR3 mounted and plan to put it on at the first checkpoint. Not having to remotely stress tires in '09 was by far better for me.
You mentioned in the IBR thread that your coming out with someone who's riding a Tenere'.

Did I miss something or has Rusty Upgraded his ride? (Last I heard he had a GS and had even built himself a fuel cell for it!)

- Colin

You mentioned in the IBR thread that your coming out with someone who's riding a Tenere'.

Did I miss something or has Rusty Upgraded his ride? (Last I heard he had a GS and had even built himself a fuel cell for it!)

- Colin
Here I assumed he was talking about Eric V.

Replying to old posts. Rusty has a Super Tenere, as do I. He's done a very nice job of setting it up for LD riding.

On topic, I'm riding out to the start, getting a fresh set of tires mounted there, (that I'll be bringing with me). I'm going on the wild side and running Heidenau K60 Scouts for the IBR. They hold up very well for me, and I'm doing a rear swap in NorCal just so I don't have to sweat it. I love the ability to depart pavement at 50 mph + and not worry about control on gravel or dirt. Probably not a lot of off pavement bonuses for the IBR, but if there are, I'll be all over it if it works for my plan.

Probably take 3 days to wander out to Cranberry Township from Utah. Riding with another IBR rider.