How to calibrate the TPS on a Power Commander V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Jekyll

Reaction score
For anyone trying to set / calibrate the Throttle Position Sensor or TPS for a Dynojet Power Commander V / 5, here's the method that I used:

1. Safely start your bike and allow it to idle up to it's operating temperature.

2. Connect your netbook, laptop or computer to your Power Commander using the supplied USB cable.

3. Launch the Power Commander 5 software / application and from the top bar, select: Power Commander Tools > Calibrate > Throttle Calibration.

4. A small box will appear with the "Minimum Voltage - Sensor Voltage - Maximum Voltage" and "Reset - OK - Cancel" buttons.

5. The sensor Voltage will show something near 0.6 volts, log this value down.

Do the next step as quickly as possible (within 3 seconds):

6. Turn the bike off with the key leaving the engine switch on. Turn the ignition switch to the on position and immediately open the throttle all the way. Write this value down (should be near 4.0 volts). This value will disappear. Repeat if necessary to find the WOT value.

7. Manually insert the first value in the Minimum Voltage box and the Maximum Voltage box. Press the OK button and you're done.

8. The Power Commander should automatically store this information, test this by closing the Throttle Calibration box and reopening it to verify your previously stored values are still there.

9. Turn the bike off, unplug you computer and you're done!

Great write up and I thank you.

Should be pinned somewhere for future referance.

I need to do this so thank you again.

Good info, thanks. Didn't like the idea of full throttle-no load to do this as discussed in other thread.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but the PC5 is specified for 2009 or later FJRs. Did you run into any problems installing it on a year model that is not officially supported?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but the PC5 is specified for 2009 or later FJRs. Did you run into any problems installing it on a year model that is not officially supported?

No, I have one on a 2006. Call FuelMoto Clicky and they will make sure you have what you need. I did go for the auto tune package also. I switched from a PCIII to V. There is quite a difference in the bikes repsonse.

Just as AuburnFJR did, I went to FuelMoto as well. I believe the only reason they say it's not 'supported" is they didn't want to realease all those extra maps. It runs just fine on mine and it was a simple plug and play. It's also readily accessable for any future mods as well. Unlike AuburnFJR I did not get the AutoTune, I do plan to have it reamapped and programed on a DynoJet in the near future.

I wanted to follow up on this a bit as well as thank Dr. Jekyll for the post.

I followed the instructions to the letter of the law and all worked as should have. Here is the difference though.

My original numbers were .674 .679 (which sets itself) and 1.347, on the testing I got .674 whatever and 1.346.

So I have set TPS voltage on TCFI fuel control units and know in a perfect world, as close to 4.0 volts you can set TPS the better.

So this is a 2010 0 Mile FJR (tomorrow may be the day) with PCV no auto tune, and O2 sensor disconnected.

I have a feeling that either my bike is drastically different, or the PCV interprets the difference or a calculation based on .674 and 1.347 to find TPS.

Not worried as it replicated itself many times so I never changed my settings and made sure they stayed.

Curious as to what others have found?