How To Legally Get A Car From One State To Another

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapnpop

Rest in Peace our Forum Founder
Reaction score
Ok... so I'm buying a car, that's in Rhode Island. I'm in Tennessee. A co-worker of mine is in Rhode Island by coincedence, and has offered to drive the car back down here for me this weekend.

My local county clerk says they can not issue a registration of any type without a bill of sale and title. The RI office says that as soon as the bill of sale is signed the original registration is no longer valid. The title is in bank limbo having the lein removed, so there's no possible way to get a new registration and mail it back up to RI. how do I legally have the car registered to get back to Tennessee. None of the involved offices can give me an answer, so I figured you guys might be able to. I dunno....

Have any of you purchased a bike out of state and ridden it home? How did you handle the registration for that ride?

You can't get a temporary transport registration?

Don't forget to insure it, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insurance is taken care of, that was easy.

Tennessee will issue a Temp Op license, but I have to take a notorized bill of sale to state capitol office in nashiville (300 miles in the wrong direction), and they will issue it there. This does me no good. Rhode Island will only issue registrations to state residents, and only dealerships can issue temp registrations. It's a private party to private party sale. None of the dealership's I've called are willing to this. I don't know whether or not they are even able.

Ask the seller not to turn in the paperwork until you get the car home (most states allow 10 days for that sort of thing). That way, it's still registered should Johnny Law come snooping around.

Also, call a couple of local (Tenn) car 'brokers' (ones who deal in classics or exotics will prolly be your best bet) and ask them how it works. They do this all the time for their clients...

You could check into having it transported. Allied Van lines,Horseless carriage,Or any flat-bad truck would work. I have a friend who drives flatbed and he does that stuff alot. It's not cheap, But may be a better way to go.

Adam

You have a bill of sale, and proof of insurance, and are transporting the vehicle to your residence. Unless the trunk is loaded with crack, towelheads, AK47's, or any combination of the 3, no LEO is gonna do a major fukwith. Just don't do anything worth garnering their attention. I used to deliver vehicles all over the country, with no plates, just a Minnesota temp license, a yellow slip of paper 4"X6" in the back window, which was totally invisible in a dark tint. I was pulled over for no plates exactly 0 times-this in 75 vans over a 2 year period. I think you'll be cool.

What Radman said!

Just make sure your co-worker has some supporting paperwork with him/her, and try not to get stopped. Even if he/she is stopped they are mainly concerned about whether or not the vehicle is stolen and might extend the stop a bit until they are satisfied there is no report of a theft.

A similar but worse situation happened to a friend of mine. I don't remember the details, but between his student ID, his DL, and the car's paperwork there were four different states represented. They grilled him good then let him go on his way. No harm, no foul.

I've always put a sign in the back window that read "IN TRANSIT". Proof of insurance is all you really need.

Recently bought a used car in NJ and I live in NY. Got it from a dealer so he did the paperwork. I ended up with a temporary paper plate from NJ and then had to do the permanent registration in NY when I got it home. No sales tax paid in NJ. So, you might want to check with RI to see if they offer something like that.

Your friend should have the insurance card,bill of sale, a letter from you explaining the problem of not being able to register the m/v until it arrives in-state [time problem],your phone number and the seller's phone number in case the LEO needs to verify the m/v isn't stolen, and a good attitude if he does get stopped ! Once he is out of R.I. most LEO's will probably give him a break once the problem is explained. Have him stay in the flow of traffic , watch his speed and the odds are he will get the m/v to you without getting stopped.

I bought my FJR in Cullman,Alabama and they don't have temporary m/c tags. I rode it back to Maine without a plate at all and expected to get stopped numerous times but wasn't stopped once for the 3,327 mile ride. I was a little paranoid on the way back as I was eyeballed byseveral LEO's but never stopped. In Maine if you don't have a plate on a m/c it's either assumed it's stolen or unregistered.

I bought my FJR in Cullman,Alabama and they don't have temporary m/c tags.
I had printed and laminated a temp tag for my 03 so I could use it on the way back from Cullman. Cracking a rib a week before "the call" meant I had to trailer it back home after a very careful hour-long test ride nearer the shop.

[SIZE=14pt]TEMPORARY[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]stand clear of afterburners[/SIZE]

I agree. All you should need is the bill of sale, insurance, and if you get stopped just explain. Unless they are a half-wit, they should cut you slack.

Did Radman actually say "towelhead", so wrong...

You wouldn't use some other racially motivated words on here.. or maybe you would...