How to rebuild front brake master cylinder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAFFJR

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good link to step-by-step instructions on how to rebuild the front brake master cylinder? Kits are pretty cheap and I think it's worthwhile since mine is acting up. I just want to see what it takes to make it happen (tools, time, etc.).

Thanks!

Been on the forum since '05 and haven't seen a step-by-step of a master cylinder rebuild. Not to say one hasn't been done, but I ain't seen it.

In truth, don't recall ANY posts about master cylinder problems 'til you broke the mold. :p :p

Been on the forum since '05 and haven't seen a step-by-step of a master cylinder rebuild. Not to say one hasn't been done, but I ain't seen it.In truth, don't recall ANY posts about master cylinder problems 'til you broke the mold. :p :p
In that case... FIRST!! :yahoo:

Decided to bleed the brakes this afternoon. Figured it was cheap to do and, since I have a mightyvac, wouldn't take long at all. The brake fluid wasn't bad (like I said, changed it last year), but wasn't crystal clear either. The two front bleeders went fine. Got to the linked bleeder and couldn't get hardly anything out at all. Took off the body panels and found the rear reservoir nearly empty! :eek: Hadn't had any issues with my rear brakes and not sure if something else caused that during my bleeding efforts. Needless to say, I filled it up and finished the bleeding job. Everything seems far better now (although my rear brakes are squealing a bit when applied now). Even sitting in the garage pulling on the lever over and over again it doesn't seem to fade at all.

Didn't go out for a long ride, so I really won't know how effective this was until tomorrow. BTW, I did check the pad thicknesses all around -- rears seem to be the thinnest, but still well within norms. Fronts look great. Also went ahead and greased up the brake/clutch levers while I had a minute.

More to come (so to speak)...