How to remove GSG Mototechnik sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StickyC

Reaction score
I bought a used '06 that already had the sliders installed and now I need to pull the right fairing off the bike, which is trapped by the GSG Mototechnik slider. In looking at the slider, it looks like there's actually a lock-bolt of some sort that's supposed to clamp down on the engine bolt I need to remove. The trouble is, the lock bolt is under the fairing and not easily accessible.

What's the procedure for removal? Can I just unscrew the main engine bolt going through the slider, or do I have to do some tricky maneuvering to loosen the clamp bolt as well? Also, do I need to support the engine while removing that bolt?

Also, the torque value on the engine bolt is 40ft-lbs? Is there a torque value on the clamp bolt?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove the bolt in the center of the slider puck and the puck will fall right off. No need to remove the aluminum bracket at all if all you need to do is remove the fairing. Not sure about torque specs off-hand. I just usually follow the German torque specs.

"GOUTENTITE"

Remove the bolt in the center of the slider puck and the puck will fall right off. No need to remove the aluminum bracket at all if all you need to do is remove the fairing. Not sure about torque specs off-hand. I just usually follow the German torque specs.
"GOUTENTITE"
Ditto the above.

Torque on the '06 engine bolt is 35 pounds. Some say with locktite some say with out. I elected to go without on my '04 and my '06 with no problem. Do a search of the threads and you will find plenty of discussion on the subject.

B)

Also, be careful not to over tighten the fairing screws when it goes back on. They only need to snug up. They will crack the fairing if you go much more.

Also, be careful not to over tighten the fairing screws when it goes back on. They only need to snug up. They will crack the fairing if you go much more.
Yeouch, How much did that cost z?

:jester:
It was just a small crack in a smaller left side one... I could live with it, but one of the forum members had one for sale for $20 so I replaced it just before I sold the bike.

B)

"GOUTENTITE"
On the '06, the bolt goes directly into the frame, it doesn't have the bracket - hence my concern. I went ahead and unbolted it anyhow. Required a heck of a lot of force to get out and more than the 40ft-lbs of torque the spec says to drive back in after, but it did seat correctly and the threads and hole looked fine.

And the best part is, I did manage to find the $%$#@&% battery terminal bolt I dropped into the fairing that prompted this whole project in the first place.