How to remove OEM hand grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peter K

I'm planning to remove stock hand grips of a 2007 FJR, does anyone have reccomandations on how to do it? It appears that Yamaha puts glue between the grip and the white plastic. Is there an easy way to remove it?

I ended up cutting mine off when I replaced them with BMW sport grips. One could theoretically try and get an airchuck under there, but it would probably be a fair amount of work.

I know when I put grips back on that I cleaned off all the glue and went without.

I removed mine fairly easily. Here's how:

-Remove the bare end weights.

-Use a small, long scewdriver (I used my old CBX carb adjuster) to slip under and around each grip to break the adhesive bond. It's not too tough.

-Use a compressed air chuck inserted under the grip and slowly work it off the bar. The compressed air creates a small cushion to allow the grip to release from the adhesive and slide off of the bar/throttle tube.

Good luck!

-Use a small, long scewdriver (I used my old CBX carb adjuster) to slip under and around each grip to break the adhesive bond. It's not too tough.

-Use a compressed air chuck inserted under the grip and slowly work it off the bar. The compressed air creates a small cushion to allow the grip to release from the adhesive and slide off of the bar/throttle tube.

Good luck!
If you don't have compressed air, get a small can of WD-40 and slip the little red tube under the grip as you hold the grip away from the handle bar with the screwdriver. As you squirt a little oil, continue to work the long screwdriver around the handlebar under the grip. Squirt and work the screwdriver until the grip slides off the bar.

Don't forget to put a towel under the grip to keep spills off your paint; and wash the inside of the grip thoroughly with soap to remove all of the oil before reinstalling.

Did the same thing "hit the road Jack" did and it worked (air chuck+screwdriver+soap and water).

AZ

Same thing here with the long thin screwdriver. Except if you don't have access to compressed air, get a can of contact or brake cleaner and squirt a little inside the grip. Let it sit for one second, then just twist it off.

MAKE SURE you put a towel underneath to prevent any paint damage.

Stihl 024 Wood Boss...

It aint pretty but they'll come right off!! :dribble:

Compressed air works wonders for removing the OEM grips. You just need the right extension to your blow gun. Try something like the first three of these:

d-07.h7.jpg

Good luck!
If you don't have compressed air, get a small can of WD-40 and slip the little red tube under the grip as you hold the grip away from the handle bar with the screwdriver. As you squirt a little oil, continue to work the long screwdriver around the handlebar under the grip. Squirt and work the screwdriver until the grip slides off the bar.

Don't forget to put a towel under the grip to keep spills off your paint; and wash the inside of the grip thoroughly with soap to remove all of the oil before reinstalling.
+1 jab the little red piece in squirt, twist, repeat. Make sure you clean it the wd40 off with alcohol before you put the new grip on.

Latest posts