How to remove Plexsus from Shoei pinlock insert??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I've been using Plexsus almost since I bout the bike in '05.  I use it on all of the lights, mirrors, windscreen, helmet visors, and car headlights.  Never had any fogging or haze where I've used it.  Last week I took the pinlock insert (clear) and cleaned it with Plexsus - not good.  It came off and dried; but it dried with hazing and distortion in looking thru the lens.  I'm going to try just soap and water but would be interested if anyone else has gone thru this.

Thanks. Jim

I would try the soap and water but I have found that once damaged, Pinlock inserts don't recover very well.

I've been using Plexsus almost since I bought the bike in '05.  I use it on all of the lights, mirrors, windscreen, helmet visors, and car headlights.  Never had any fogging or haze where I've used it.  Last week I took the pinlock insert (clear) and cleaned it with Plexsus - not good.  It came off and dried; but it dried with hazing and distortion in looking thru the lens.  I'm going to try just soap and water but would be interested if anyone else has gone thru this.

Thanks. Jim
Can't give you a cure, but just for your information the Pinlock piece is designed to absorb water*, this is part of its anti-fogging mechanism. It has probably absorbed some of the Plexus. Maybe a good soaking in (warm?) water would draw it out, followed by natural drying (I would think heat might damage it).

* I learned about the water absorption after mine stopped working. I was keeping my helmet in an unheated garage, it obviously couldn't dry out between rides. Keeping it indoors made it much better. 

The insert is also very soft relative to the visor or other plastics you’ve been cleaning.  It may be scratched.