How to remove Yama-GLUE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Here goes: this is my first actual maintenance on my new (to me) 05 Feejer. The rubber piece and Yamaha emblem is missing from my left saddle bag cover. All that remains is about a 7x3/8 strip of black Yama-glue. Tried the hair dryer trick, but alas, no luck: the glue(feels like silicone)is stuck fast. The plastic got just about too hot to touch, but the yama-glue was unfazed. I remember that the hairdryer trick worked pretty well on various auto body applications years ago, though it was slow going. Any ideas? Are there solvents that can remove Yammi-goo w/o damaging the paint? Would I dare try scraping?

Gary in Tampa

Try taking a piece of monofilament fishing line and work it under the edge of the adhesive at one end. Lubricate the line with a little WD40, and use a sawing motion up and down as you work your way to the othe end.

Should take it right off without messing with the finish...

You'll probably like the clean look so much, you'll jump right on over to the other side and do it next! :yahoo:

Don

Try taking a piece of monofilament fishing line and work it under the edge of the adhesive at one end. Lubricate the line with a little WD40, and use a sawing motion up and down as you work your way to the othe end.

then try soaking and rubbing off remainder with more WD40 or "Goo B Gone"

If the glue resists most common goo removers get thy self to a quality auto parts store and look over some of the various 3M automotive adhesive removers. They are all paint safe and do a great job of dissolving and removing all types of adhesives.

flamethrower.jpg

then try soaking and rubbing off remainder with more WD40 or "Goo B Gone"
I've got some goof-off in the garage. Is that about the same stuff?

Gary in Tampa

Please ignore Mike's suggestion, this is the way to go.

belt-sander.jpg
I did try using the fishing line, but I forgot to take the hook off ended up in the hospital having the hook removed from my but. Then I tried your sander idea, but the mono filament line got caught up in the belt and now I can't get the sander to work. So I traded the broken belt sander and the bike for that nifty military flame thrower and I'm gonna hunt down both of you rascals.

Actually, my first attempt with the fishing line failed. I'm having a very hard time getting the monofilament line to work because the area with all the left over glue on it is recessed about 3/16 of an inch. Getting the line under the "edge" is proving to be a real challenge.

Gary in Tamnpa

Last edited by a moderator:
Final note.

It took a while, but I finally got around to completing this project. The Yamma glue was impossible to get off. No way in this world to do it without grinding it out with a dremmel. HOWEVER: the Yamma glue formed a perfect negative image of the old rubber piece that was once glued to it. Therefore the new one fit perfectly over all the raised bumps of solidified Yamma glue. Truth is, Yamma glue doesn't stick real well to rubber. But contact cement does. I put a thin coat on both surfaces with a tiny paint brush, waited 10 minutes for them to dry, and pressed it into place. Seems to be stuck on there pretty good.

Gary

darksider #44

Whew!

Thanks for the update... I had been sitting here holding my breath, afraid that you would be found sitting next to your saddle bag out in the garage with your cold, dead fingers still wrapped around that piece of monofilament fishing line! :eek:

Glad that you were able to re-attach the original rubber rub strip! Good thinking!!! :clapping:

Don