How top heavy is the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 32" inseam, and can flat foot the bike so I wouldn't be too concerned about the inseam. The bike certainly is not "slim" so there is weight concern in low speed maneuvers but that is true with most any motorcycle.

Center of gravity is a strange thing. Here in SC they have an insane test that was designed by ex-MC cops. Those HD cop bikes have a very low CG and can creep through the pylons very easily. Sport bikes which totally outhandle the old cop bikes and modern cruisers have a heckuva time passing the test. Another perspective on cc's. When I started out in the mid-sixties a 250 was a BIG bike. My old CB350 had a top speed of around 90 but would cruise all day at 70. Both Kawasaki and Suzuki have made 500cc twins that are in my opinion the best beginner bikes on the planet. Don't know which, but one of them is still in production and used ones can be had pretty cheap. Those stats on middle aged crazies killing themselves on bikes - I sure wish they could brake out those stats by manufacturer and type. My bias would mention what brand I would guess most of them road. My bias also says that brand runs on alcohol as much as gasoline. Gas for the bike, alcohol for the driver. The stats do bear out the alcohol part.

Alcohol and public roads don't mix well for anyone.

It takes a whole 'nother level of idiot to ride while under the influence of alcohol. If you really want to be an organ donor, there are less painful ways to do it then riding a motorcycle under the influence.

Sid,

I am pushing 65 yrs old and went back to biking at age 62. Prior life had honda 350. Bought a Suzuki vs 800, rode it for a couple of years and loved it. Then saw the FJR and fell in love. I have a 29 inch inseam and was most concerned about the seat height. Got an 06 A model. Love the bike. Embarrassed to say I dropped it early in learning to ride it at about 300 miles with a stupid move of front brake, 1 mph while coming to a stop and it just laydown on the right side before I could catch it. Minor damage which one can barely see. Now have 4500 miles on it, will probably never get another bike as the FJR is just what I want. Torque, you got it, good looking, yes, good dealer nearby. Everytime I stop now, I put my brain into 100% being careful and have had no more problems. However, if you are not comfortable at first, get the lighter bike, ride it for a while and when you are more comfortable, FJR time.

"I definitely see myself on a new FJR when I grow up!"

Dang! You mean I gotta get rid of my Feejr since I aint' ever gonna grow up? :(

Mary

Center of gravity is a strange thing. Here in SC they have an insane test that was designed by ex-MC cops. Those HD cop bikes have a very low CG and can creep through the pylons very easily. Sport bikes which totally outhandle the old cop bikes and modern cruisers have a heckuva time passing the test. Another perspective on cc's. When I started out in the mid-sixties a 250 was a BIG bike. My old CB350 had a top speed of around 90 but would cruise all day at 70. Both Kawasaki and Suzuki have made 500cc twins that are in my opinion the best beginner bikes on the planet. Don't know which, but one of them is still in production and used ones can be had pretty cheap. Those stats on middle aged crazies killing themselves on bikes - I sure wish they could brake out those stats by manufacturer and type. My bias would mention what brand I would guess most of them road. My bias also says that brand runs on alcohol as much as gasoline. Gas for the bike, alcohol for the driver. The stats do bear out the alcohol part.
Kawasaki does, if not the 500, then and 800 cruiser.... my friend had one... no problem keeping up, she sold it for more than she paid for it... and it was totally stock.... she kept it clean and didn't ride too much due to health problems.... had the stomach staple thiing done since she weighed over 300 lbs. So that Kaw can haul some weight just fine.

mary

Hmm...an FJR and a KLX250S...what a good idea ;-) Wish I'd thought of it!

Oh yeah, and I'll throw in a 32" inseam to boot!

You really can't go wrong staying with something you are comfortable with in both power and size and ride it until you work your way back into your comfort zone for riding. The FJR is a very fast and comfortable touring bike. If your not planning on spending much time taking advantage of the touring aspect there are probably better bikes to meet your needs for short trips and one up riding. I do not find the FJR heavy but you need to consider I put a lot of miles on BMW K1200LT touring bike and anything else feels light and not top heavy. If you decide to go with the FJR you need to keep in mind there were a lot of positive changes that were made for the 06 model year. RIDE SAFE

I'll never forget a guy that worked with me at Hewlett Packard when I was there. He was a really short guy and when I met him he was riding a Suzuki S40. It was a single cylinder cruiser style and frankly was perfect for his size. Apparently it wasn't cool enough. He showed up one day on a new BMW R1150?RT (late 90's sometime). He also had the BMW system helmet, BMW riding suit, BMW boots, gloves, briefcase...he must have had $2,500 in gear alone. I thought, "wow, this guy loves riding and he knows what he likes."

At the time I was still on my 77 R100RS.

He dropped his RT 4 times in about as many weeks in the HP parking lot just backing it out of MC parking. From the look of the bike, he dropped it at home and on the way to and from work too. He was just too short for the bike.

One Monday, he showed up clad in a black leather HD coat, chaps, HD boots, beanie helmet, yadda yadda and a big HD with a very short seat height. He found his home and stayed with that set up.

Every rider has their own needs and wants. I hope you find what it is you are looking for. You seem to think enough about riding that you'll quickly become bored if you buy too little bike.

I recommend the R1200GS if it's a comfortable fit, or the new Kawi Concours (coming out in early 2007) as it is supposed to have a much lower center of gravity (if you believe their marketing speak.

I recommend the R1200GS if it's a comfortable fit.
I wouldn't if you have a short inseam. I tried one and even with the low seat option, you've still got to get your leg high enough over the pillion seat to get astride it. My test ride gave me back-ache for a couple of weeks. Even then, after coming off an FJR, I found the boxer motor a little breathless and quite lacking in top-end grunt. :(

Hey Sid! I took one look at the 06 998cc Yamaha FZ1... It was a no brain-er to me at that point... this FZ1 handles the mountain passes like an R1, and has big power on tap that makes the bike something you won't out grow anytime soon.
I tried one of these while my FJR was in for a service. It was fun for a loaner but not a long term proposition to my mind. Below 6000 rpm, it has less grunt than the FJR and feels definitely lethargic. Above 6000 rom, it takes off like a scalded cat and you have to hang on. Yes, it's fun but I didn't find it practical to ride unless I was on a track and could keep the engine above 6000 rpm all the time. Around town the FJR is better, on country roads the FJR is better, on open freeways the FJR is better but on a track, the FZ1 is the surefire winner that will make you grin from ear to ear. It all depends on what you want from a bike and if Sid wants the same as you then the FZ1 might be a good choice. If he wants a friendly tractable all-rounder that will suit a range of riding conditions then the FZ1 may not be a good choice.

How did a discussion of beginner bikes get spun off into the power characteristcs of FJR's vs. FZ1's? It's fine to toot your own horn, but somehow I don't think an R1-engined FZ1 is a solution for a newbie worried an FJR may be too much bike for him.

- Mark

Hey Sid! I took one look at the 06 998cc Yamaha FZ1... It was a no brain-er to me at that point... this FZ1 handles the mountain passes like an R1, and has big power on tap that makes the bike something you won't out grow anytime soon.
I tried one of these while my FJR was in for a service. It was fun for a loaner but not a long term proposition to my mind. Below 6000 rpm, it has less grunt than the FJR and feels definitely lethargic. Above 6000 rom, it takes off like a scalded cat and you have to hang on. Yes, it's fun but I didn't find it practical to ride unless I was on a track and could keep the engine above 6000 rpm all the time. Around town the FJR is better, on country roads the FJR is better, on open freeways the FJR is better but on a track, the FZ1 is the surefire winner that will make you grin from ear to ear. It all depends on what you want from a bike and if Sid wants the same as you then the FZ1 might be a good choice. If he wants a friendly tractable all-rounder that will suit a range of riding conditions then the FZ1 may not be a good choice.
I think a true sport bike would be a very short lived affair for me. Yes, it would be fun to run around on one for a while but I think I would grow tired of it very fast after the initial thrill ride was over.

Insurance on something like that even when it is a smaller 600cc motorcycle is outrageous for me. Clean record, no tickets, no at fault accidents etc. and my quotes were high enough to almost buy a Kawasaki KLX-250S.

Also, I don't like motorcycles that have to run 6K to make any power. Sure it's fine on a racetrack or maybe for stunting on the streets but, I'm not that kind of rider. I want the motorcycle that I can pull away on in 3rd gear because it has huge torque down low. I want the one that will run highway speeds at lower engine RPMs and won't buzz the handle bars and make my ears ring. That's not a direct knock against HD but, I just don't understand it from a rider perspective and see a lot of that crowd riding them for image only.

I'm not out to impress, I'm here to ride! :D

I got a reasonable insurance price quote on a Kawasaki Ninja 650R so, I may end up going that route. It is a better match for my body profile then the Suzuki Vstrom and I suspect it will have good secondary market resale potential at a reasonable depreciation rate. If the KLR-650, XR-650L, or DRZ-650 were less portly and had better suspensions I might go that route but, they lack power for their weight and have marginal suspensions that I would likely over extend like I have in the past.

And, THANKS for all the help so far! Everyone is giving me great points to consider before I commit to a purchase.

Sid, here is another alternative that might meet your needs others have not mentioned. You might never look back after a ride on this bike fresh off the presses....Triumph. PM. <>< B)

Sid,

If I lived closer to southern AZ, I would offer up a test ride, so you could get a feel for the bike.

I think there's a guy around here somewhere, who lives in southern AZ and recently crashed his bike, who might be able to help you out.

My opinion, FWIW, you do NOT have a short inseam. There are some little people out there, who try to ride big bikes, with much shorter inseams. (Mine is 27")

However, I do agree that the FJR is not a beginner bike. It has too much potential for getting you into trouble. Once you've learned the skills to get out of said trouble, is the time to choose your big fast bike.

Check out Kawasaki's Ninja 650R. It was been touted as a baby FJR. It has weather protection and moves pretty quick. I've ridden one, and loved it.

Jill

Sid,

Have you actually test-ridden any of these prospective bikes? I saw where you said you had tested a V-strom at the showroom, I guess you meant you just sat on it. If this is the case, you should shop dealers until you find one who will allow a test ride--many will do it on a used model, some will do it on new ones--be persistant. Ruling out (or in) a bike like the V-strom from just sitting on it is a big mistake. The Strom is so nimble and flickable and only weighs 420 lbs (the 650 model). It would be a great trade-up for you. There are many aftermarket farkles for it including lowering links, and handles very well after lowering. It is very stable at 70 MPH freeway speeds for a bike of that weight. You can't make an informed decision by just sitting on a bike. I have never purchased a bike that I didn't ride prior. It CAN be done, even if you're short on experience. Persistance will pay off---good luck!

Sid, I had very positive things to report about my personal experience with the new FZ1 because it is a great choice for a mid weight, high performance, do-it-all "street" bike. I'm speaking with over 4 months and 1,700+ miles of experience on the FZ1, not a few hours. The bike is a seriously fun hot rod for sure, and earned it's two titles of "Bike of The Year" for 06.

Don't just take my word for it! Here's what AMA has to say about the FZ1, and another link to some other owner's reviews.

https://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2006/FZ1/FZ1.asp

https://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusia...e.asp?veh=23636

Ownership of the FZ1 IMO, is a perfectly natural progression toward future ownership of an FJR, and that is exactly what I plan to do. In fact, you can go fully faired and bagged, and add a taller shield, all available from Yamaha, and do some pretty serious sport/touring on the FZ1 itself. Or you can leave it stock and enjoy some serious hooligan style shenanigans in twisties if you prefer. I do a little of both. :lol:

1joe20006.jpg

Sid, I apologize for someone coming here that obviously didn't understand the thread topic and trashed my own personal bike. He must have thought you were stepping from an FJR down to an FZ1. The two bikes can't be compared, but the FZ1 is well worth considering among your choices of lighter weight bikes as a forerunner to bigger and better things like the FJR.

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey steeld ...you won't see an argument that the FJR is a "better" bike, but the FZ1 is much less weight to deal with if you aren't ready to move up to the FJR quite yet. The FZ1 you rode must have been broken. No power??? That's a ridiculous statement. I rarely ever even run mine over 6,000. You simply don't need to to accelerate hard. My bike weighs in at 438 dry and makes 60 ft. lbs. of torque at 4,500. Like I said, more torque and HP than the 1000 V-Strom at anything above 3K. Someone on the Strom forum had to point that out to me per dyno chart comparison when I was shopping. How about letting Sid make his own choice based on facts rather than BS. Not trying to start a confrontation.
Roger
"Not trying to start a confrontation." - but you're tyring hard!

"How about letting Sid make his own choice..." - I quite agree which is why I posted my view of the FZ1 after you sung its praises as if it really is the best buy for Sid. What suits you might not suit Sid or others.

" ...based on facts rather than BS." - Don't confuse fact with BS. I consider dyno figures to be BS. I'd much rather judge a bike by the way it behaves on a road in real conditions and not by comparing figures on a spec sheet. Power isn't the be all and end all of choosing a bike. It's the way the power is delivered that makes the difference as well as numerous other attributes that makes a bike 'work' for one rider and not another. I made my observations based on a full day loan of an FZ1 where I put several miles on the bike over a variety of roads to see if it could be my next bike. I also have over 3 years experience of riding an FJR so what do I know? I suggest you put your brain into gear before accusing others of BS.

Sid, here is another alternative that might meet your needs others have not mentioned. You might never look back after a ride on this bike fresh off the presses....Triumph. PM. <>< B)
I would have considered this Triumph to be an alternative to an FJR (well, it's on my list of bikes to look at). It seems to be a lot more nimble and the only drawback is that it has a chain but after reading about a dry PTFE-based lube that doesn't plaster the rear wheel in grease, I might just get used to a chain again.

I have 32 inch inseam and can nearly flat-foot my FJR but on a GS I am on tippy toes so even though it's lighter it felt unstable to me when coming to a stop.

Since most tip-overs occur at low speeds or no speed, if you can't get your foot down far enough to save it you are done.

Have you thought about an SV-1000 or Suzuki or one of the other big V-twins that don't have a high saddle?

Last edited by a moderator: