How wide is Gen 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

Reaction score
I am trying to figure if I can shoe horn a FJR into the free space I have in the garage. I have seen the standard measurements, but don't know if that is at the handlebars or widest point with the bags?

Would any have or be willing to grab quick measurement both with bags and without and give me the widest measurement in each config and identify what the widest point is in each config?

Thank you in advance.

L x W x H
87.8 in x 29.5 in x 52.2 - 57.3 in (from Yamaha specs)

widest pt = mirrors, followed by side bags, followed by grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I would be comfortable enough standing off the left of the bike in a space just wide enough to clear the grips and put an FJR up on the center stand, so would need to add some additional space to allow for the bike lean when on the side stand.

I am trying to figure if I can shoe horn a FJR into the free space I have in the garage. I have seen the standard measurements, but don't know if that is at the handlebars or widest point with the bags?
Would any have or be willing to grab quick measurement both with bags and without and give me the widest measurement in each config and identify what the widest point is in each config?

Thank you in advance.
Time to sell a few? Maybe you could rig a couple of "hoists" to the rafters and stack them vertically. LOL

Funny enough I have my 2K road bicycle and 1k Mt bike hanging from the ceiling...

I expect I will get some type of dolly to wheel it around on.

Thanks for the input to date.

These things tip over pretty easy. Don't ask how I know. You may want to plan for what it will take down with it when it goes. The saddle bag guards stick out past the bags but less than the mirrors.

Bags are ~36" wide. Mirrors - my '15 is a little wider than stock with spacers and light brackets under the mirrors, but for another data point [unfolded / folded backwards] they're ~38-1/2" / ~36". I typically don't fold them flat in the forward direction.

The 29-1/2" Yamaha dimension is the bar width. Hope this helps.

--G

While the grips and mirrors may be the widest dimension, they can be maneuvered above adjacent storage boxes and etc. You can remove the hardcases; that will make the bike a LOT narrower.

(Heh, heh, heh. In the noob section, robfilms was "considering." Now he's measuring. Got a live on the hook!)

It's SPRING, dude. Like, be spring cleaning half the junk in your garage into the dumpster. Gotta have room for tools and spare tires and summer/winter riding gear and, you know, stuff.

(Heh, heh, heh. In the noob section, robfilms was "considering." Now he's measuring. Got a live on the hook!)
It's SPRING, dude. Like, be spring cleaning half the junk in your garage into the dumpster. Gotta have room for tools and spare tires and summer/winter riding gear and, you know, stuff.
i see that uncle hud is one of those back of the classroom, spit ball and straw types!

i better watch myself and try to keep eyes on this guy.

thumbs up.

rob

i'm still shopping for a fjr and getting closer.

close enough for me to do my own measurements.

according to total motorcycle, the fjr1300 is 88.2" in length while my current ride, a 2009 suzuki v-strom/dl650, is 90.2".

so IF i get myself a fjr, it can be parked in my building's indoor garage spot behind my mazda cage.

woo woo!

thumbs up.

rob

You guys are going about this thing all wrong. The correct way to engineer the space is to bring the new FJR home and then start throwing out stuff until it fits! Thats what I did with my 3rd bike in my side of the 2 car garage that also has to fit a mud room and 3 ton of pellets in the winter. Luckily for me, the pellets are gone during most of the time that the two wheelers are moving!

BTW - No need to thank me. Like the government, Im just here to help.