How will the FJR hold up to some heavy loads?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of right now, if I decide to outfit the FJR, I will need to order the Givi SR357, shock, fork springs, seats, and tank bag. A total investment of 1500.00-2000.00. I'm thinking I could do it for cheaper and maybe more comfortable on the DL1000. What do you think?
How are you going to to do all of that and keep it around $1500-$2000? Rear shock will eat up a lot of that budget.
here is the list for a TX permit

Honors TX Permit:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming

TX Permit Not Honored:

Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont, West Virginia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

Right Denied:

Illinois, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands
Where'd you find those lists? I was looking at info the other day that had CA, AZ, WA on the does not honor TX CHL list.

Thanks, Lucas

As of right now, if I decide to outfit the FJR, I will need to order the Givi SR357, shock, fork springs, seats, and tank bag. A total investment of 1500.00-2000.00. I'm thinking I could do it for cheaper and maybe more comfortable on the DL1000. What do you think?
How are you going to to do all of that and keep it around $1500-$2000? Rear shock will eat up a lot of that budget.
SR357 - 135.00

Tank ring - 27.50

Engage XL tank bag - 175.00

Penske 8983 - 875.00

Traxxion fork springs - 110.00

Plus shipping on these items is roughly 1500.00. Then I still need seats. I'm hoping I can find some used Sargent's, Mayer's, etc. Like I said before, it's way too hot right now, so I won't be doing anything anytime soon. I'm just trying to get a list of things. I'll probably be bargain shopping for all the items, and trying to pick them up used. Whatever I can't get used, I'll just order at retail price.

Lucas

I wish I could find the picture I have of BugR,(Chris)with his full load going to WFO at Park City. He and Diana looked like the Okies heading west during the great depression.
Dsc00252.jpg

Amazing the front tire even stayed on the ground!

I'll be getting as TX CHL, which is accepted by many states. It is not accepted by CA, OR, WA, NV, CO?, and a few others. For those states, I will just wing it. Probably keep the magazines in a side case, and the gun in the tank bag with the slide locked. That way, if I get stopped, it will be obvious that I'm trying to respect that states laws.
I'm unaware that Calif. or Oregon honor ANY other state's concealed carry permits, and here is the list of Texas Reciprocity States

FWIW, in Calif., all you really need is to have it unloaded and in a locked container while on the bike, so putting it into a sidecase while on the road here makes you compliant (or in a pistol rug with a small padlock if in the tank bag). It's generally legal to have a loaded and concealed handgun in your campsite or motel room on the theory that it's your temporary residence. It's also generally legal to transport it from one temporary residence to another (unloaded in locked container). However, we have convoluted and idiotic gun laws that keep getting worse and some of our citizens overreact to any gun not in a LEO's holster. So be discreet and apply a stringent definition to "campsite", as opposed to "public place or road", and don't camp in "Calif State Parks" where there's a blanket prohibition. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Have a great trip. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could find the picture I have of BugR,(Chris)with his full load going to WFO at Park City. He and Diana looked like the Okies heading west during the great depression.
Dsc00252.jpg

Amazing the front tire even stayed on the ground!
That's about what my Large Motofizz looks like right now. Except instead of sitting on the back seat, it will be on the rear rack, and the wifey will be on the seat.

Lucas

Man; I thought the FJR was a sport touring bike not a station wagon. You would think it would be cheaper just to UPS all that stuff to were you are going and the bike would be more fun to ride!!

Honors TX Permit:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming

TX Permit Not Honored:

Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont, West Virginia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

Right Denied:

Where'd you find those lists? I was looking at info the other day that had CA, AZ, WA on the does not honor TX CHL list.

Thanks, Lucas
Gun rights

Honors TX Permit:

TX Permit Not Honored:

Right Denied:

Thanks, Lucas
Gun rights
That's a great site, but with all due respect, you have read it incorrectly in reprinting that list to include California, Nevada or Washington as states that honor a Texas CCW.

Honors TX Permit:

TX Permit Not Honored:

Right Denied:

Thanks, Lucas
Gun rights
That's a great site, but with all due respect, you have read it incorrectly in reprinting that list to include California, Nevada or Washington as states that honor a Texas CCW.
I did not put in any of my on info or make any changes, I cut and paste directly from the site. Use the site your self make of it what you want don't shoot the messenger.

I did not put in any of my on info or make any changes, I cut and paste directly from the site. Use the site your self make of it what you want don't shoot the messenger.
No messenger shooting involved. When input for a Texas resident permit, the site properly shows that California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada do NOT honor a Texas permit. When I input my own residence and permit info, it also yields a correct result (as per other sources, including California statutes). Please don't get defensive, the instructions could be clearer for the use of that map, but when input correctly, it DOES NOT show Washington, California and Nevada as recognizing Texas permits. Like I said before ever checking that site, California and Oregon recognize no other state CCWs. Again, thanks for the link.

No messenger shooting involved. When input for a Texas resident permit, the site properly shows that California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada do NOT honor a Texas permit. When I input my own residence and permit info, it also yields a correct result (as per other sources, including California statutes). Please don't get defensive, the instructions could be clearer for the use of that map, but when input correctly, it DOES NOT show Washington, California and Nevada as recognizing Texas permits. Like I said before ever checking that site, California and Oregon recognize no other state CCWs. Again, thanks for the link.
That's what I'm seeing also. CA, OR, WA, NV are all "do not honor TX CHL". I plan on hitting the west coast, so I guess I'll just take my chances in those states. I'll have to look into the legalities for those states before take off.

Lucas

Why bring the gun?

And don't worrry, I'm not out on either extreme end of the gun debate. I don't have a problem with it, I am simply curious.

Why bring the gun?

And don't worrry, I'm not out on either extreme end of the gun debate. I don't have a problem with it, I am simply curious.

There are lots of critters (mostly 4 leg) out west here that make carrying a safety thing, especially if you are camping

Why bring the gun?

Let's put it this way. When you go on a long ride, do you take a tool kit with you? You certainly don't plan on breaking down. Nobody wants to break down so they can bust out their tool kit and use it, but you take it just in case.

I'd rather pack a tool kit and not need it, then to need my tools and not have them. Secondly for animals. It's fairly easy to diffuse a human with words, but much harder with animals. I could probably take 50 cross country rides, and never need a CH, but it gives me peace of mind having one along for the ride.

Lucas

Back to the topic at hand. Over the last few days, I've been looking real hard at V-strom 1000's. I keep thinking that cross country touring would just be easier on the DL1000. More luggage room (i could get some of those huge metal side bags), easier ergonomics, cheaper, and ease of packing. However, at the same time I think I should just make the FJR work. It's fully paid off, runs great, good mpgs, ABS, tons of torque, wind protection, shaft drive, and the list goes on. I think both bikes would be great for touring, but the FJR has a higher GVWR, and much more power. We'll probably be eating up some serious asphalt, so I think the FJR is it. With that said, where should I start with the suspension?

The FJR is my daily commuter, so it's use about 97% solo. For the other 3%, it will see 2up with about 65-75 lbs of camping gear and other various crap. So I really need a remote adjustable height and preload. I could do without the remote, as long as it's adjustable. Does anyone make adjustable for the FJR besides Penske? It pains me to spend close to $1000.00 on a shock. For the forks, can I get away with a stiffer spring and fork brace? Or should I do the whole GP revalving with new springs?

As for the seat, the stocker's gotta go. I'm 6'3", so I sit pretty far back. I sit right where the front seat meets the rear seat. This is the area that sweeps up. That little upsweep does a number on my butt. I know Russell's are the cat's azz, but I don't want the extra height, or the wings. The Sargents look nice, and the price is right, but I've been reading mixed reviews. Some like them, and some don't. All the Mayer seats look perfect, and everyone seems real happy with them, but I live in TX, and if I pay for a custom, I would really like to have it tailored for me. Are there any custom seat builders in TX or the surrounding states?

Finally, I'll be purchasing an Engage XL tank bag, and tank ring. Will I need the electric tank ring? I'm still on the fence about as far as buying a GPS. I've never had a problem reading maps, so I'm having trouble justifying the purchase of a GPS. What else could the electric tank ring do for me besides powering the GPS.

Thanks for all the help, Lucas

Sounds similar to our requirements except we don't carry quite as much stuff. Before that we had a 650 vstrom with Jesse bags and a givi 46. The vstrom definite packed more in, and was easier overall. No worries about the frame either (unless truly offroading) Also handled ok without a aftermarket shock. The fjr needed a aftermarket shock bad, so we went with an ohlins built for 400lbs, and that improved handling tremoundously (though she's still a handful 2up with gear for a week). I think you'll be fine, as long as you don't hit any huge bumps, and work to keep the heaviest items down low.

On a sidenote, are you just winging the handgun and flying under the radar, or have you found a law/license that allows you to legally carry in multiple states? (I know depending on your occupation it may be legal).
I'll be getting as TX CHL, which is accepted by many states. It is not accepted by CA, OR, WA, NV, CO?, and a few others. For those states, I will just wing it. Probably keep the magazines in a side case, and the gun in the tank bag with the slide locked. That way, if I get stopped, it will be obvious that I'm trying to respect that states laws.

On to your Wee Strom. How were the ergonomics for loaded 2up? More comfortable or less than the FJR? I'm still toying with the idea of a DL1000 with Happy Trail bags. How comfortable was the seat and leg position on your Wee? How did it compare to the FJR.

Lucas
I dident mean to start a big gun discussion, I was just interested. On to the vstrom I had a 650 that my wife and I did many longer trips on (3-6k miles at a time). I'm 5'10", 26 years old , and in good shape (wife is the same) and found the vstrom ergonomics to be much better than the FJR. The only ergonomic mod we had on the vstrom was a gel seat that raised the driver about an inch. With that combo we could get to about 500 miles before we started getting a little sore, and around 800 miles we were usally ready to call it quits. On the fjr we've tried a corbin seat, and now have a sargent, added riser blocks to the handlebars, and rear leg peg lowers/heat shields for her. Her knees start to hurt from being spread out at about 300 miles, and mine are getting sore around 400. The fjr has a much bigger motor, way better brakes among other things, but at this point the vstrom was a overall better touring/comfort bike for sub 70mph riding 2 up.

On the other hand plenty of older guys here claim to have no problem riding 800 mile days with no discomfort on the fjr. I have yet to get on that level yet.

Honestly I'd just choose whatever you like more. My biggest beef with the FJR for long trips is the extremely limited storage. The Vstrom with a 46l givi, and the jesse's had way more practical storage than the FJR with a tankbag, 52l givi topcase, 20L drybag. The FJR also being more sophisticated costs alot more to run (brakes, tire changes, gas mileage, suspension that wears out in 20k miles instead of 50k etc) on a trip.

Anyways if your wife likes the ergos of the fjr enough to travel pick up a penske or ohlins shock because it will make a world of difference for her comfort. Look around and do your research and you should be able to get a fully adjustable stock for $800. For us, I noticed much better handling, but she stopped getting killed by crappy pavement and ripples. The front suspension kind of depends but you can spend $300 all the way up to $1200, but I can't comment on performance.

Can't help much on the seats. The sargent is better than stock for us, but still not 100%. I like a wide flat seat, but don't want russel wings. Our old $150 suzuki gel vstrom seat was great.

Personally we have a zumo gps, and I just added xm radio and its amazing for riding distances. I like the ability to make it up as we go along, and see details on the road ahead, gas etc. I still know how to read a papermap if nesassary but it just doesn't compare to a full featured GPS. That and the autocom system for seamless conversation are some of the best investments we've made (85% of my riding is 2up). With a powered tank bag you can also charge cell phones, and other devices.

So you sold the strom and got an FJR, or got the FJR and sold the strom? Do you wish you still had it for 2up?

Lucas

So you sold the strom and got an FJR, or got the FJR and sold the strom? Do you wish you still had it for 2up?

Lucas
I had the strom as my first street bike in college and added to it over a few years. Put about 65k on it and really liked it. Got a little bored with the same thing for so long and purchased the fjr when more money came in and had both for awhile but the fjr being a newer bike got more attention so I sold the vstrom. My father has a 09 abs strom that I can ride if I get the itch.

Comfort wise the vstrom beats the fjr, but I do like the fjr too. My wife likes both but was more comfy on the vstrom too. I miss the comfort of the strom the lightness handling mileage luggage and operating cost. Dont miss the brakes, style, lack of wind protection below 50f etc. Either will make you happy just expect it to cost more to get the fjr to the same point.

So I test rode a DL1000 today, and it is a fun bike. The seating ergonomics seemed about on par with the FJR. It definitly felt smaller than the FJR overall. Wind protection was inferior to the FJR. Torque was about the same. The DL1000 seat was worse for me than the FJR. Being 6'3" I usually sit pretty far back in the seat. On the DL1000 I rode today, I was pushed all the way back where the driver seat meets the passanger seat. That little upsweep from the front to the back was kicking my butt after about 15 minutes. So I gotta give the plus to the FJR in the seat dept.

Overall, the DL1000 seemed like a very reliable, sturdy, easy to mantain bike. However, I think for freeway cruising, the FJR will eat the DL1000 for lunch. I'm still considering the DL1000, but only for luggage room. I still gotta lay out all our gear and clothes, and see if it's all going to fit on the FJR.

Lucas