Howdy, From Austin, TX. Y'all.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinTXyall

Reaction score
Howdy, From AustinTXyall,

Working to get my 2008 FJR1300 back on the road. Got bit by the ground spider and left her under a car port for years. Now working to get her back on the road. Looking for a Brodie harness, or something like that. Buying a battery, etc... Hoping to get back on the road before April, we'll see.

Cheers.

Check that you don't have corrosion in the gas tank. Hope that the ABS still works OK - brake (and clutch) fluid will need a thorough flush. Not to mention clean/grease clutch, front brake, rear brake and shifter levers and pivots.

How many miles on the bike? Due for a valve check while you are at it?

Which spider? Was the recall done for "S4"? You might be just as well off to "fix" the spider since the harness may be hard to get. Harness is a preventative and the burnt spider has to be fixed anyway.

Let us know what you end out having to do.
Good luck with the resurrection!

Thanks for your response. Plan to do all of the above and probably tires. I'm not sure on exactly which spider bit, but I'll make it a point to give a play by play on getting it back on the road.

Howdy from Ft Worth
Google Yamaha recall site, enter the 2008 vin# to see if its had the ignition switch and #4 ground wire done. #4 ground connector had the first " spider" distribution clip inside.

FJR30FAN and 2GENAE,

Thanks for the information. Coolant is a good idea. I've called 2 separate dealers. Both said that 1 recall was done and 1 had expired.

FJR30FAN and 2GENAE,

Thanks for the information. Coolant is a good idea. I've called 2 separate dealers. Both said that 1 recall was done and 1 had expired.
I thought that safety-related recalls didn't expire...?
Anyway, the 2008 had recalls for the grounding junction (S4 "spider") as well as for the ignition switch.

Which recall was done?
Any idea which "spider" burned?
Note: I had the S4 recall done and subsequently had the S6 burn - I fixed it by soldering the wires together. I also had another non-spider grounding problem that had symptoms similar to a spider bite. You may want to have a look at this...
(Some good info in this thread)
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/itsy-bitsy-spider.158418/

Wouldn't hurt to do the coolant but if you are due for a valve clearance check in the reasonably near future, I would do the coolant (and sparkplugs) at the same time since coolant needs to be drained for that anyway.

Last edited: