Hwy 20 North cascades

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
Can't seem to find a recent updates on road closures. I planed on going across Hwy 20 on the 14th of the month. Any of you PNW guys know if it might be open by then??? 

With the fires, I don't think you can count on anything but day by day Ray. News had been silent on fire progress other than smoke reports.

~G

Besides the Hwy closure I don't care for riding in filthy air. See https://www.airnow.gov/?city=Winthrop&state=WA&country=USA for air quality.

Fire containment is available at https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

Right now the air quality is very bad around Wintrop.  I suggest staying west of the Cascade Mountains.
I'll just have to see what it looks like that morning. I have reservations that night in Wenatchee.  If it won't work then I will head down Whidbey and over to Port Townsend and around the peninsula.  I Will Not go anywhere near the Seattle area.

I hear all of the National Forest is closed right now, been wanting to ride up to Hearts pass and Slate Peak but it's a no go for now.

I think i started up that road a few years back but it was early in the season and we met with snow, hiked a bit, but it was too far to go all the way that day. How many miles is that road?  How long a drive?

I read that travelers  eastbound on Hwy 20 have to follow a lead car through smoke and fire areas nearer to Winthrop.  Will WA DOT allow FJRay to be the Marshall of that parade?  Unable to drag advisory link from:

SR 20 North Cascade Highway between milepost 144 and 171 there is a reduced speed zone of 35 m.p.h. due to ongoing fire response activity in the area and near the roadway. Travelers should expect longer than normal travel times. Do not attempt to pass other vehicles or pull over on the side of the road within the reduced speed zone.Last Updated: 8/10/2021 9:58 AMFrom milepost 144 to milepost 171

Wish I could ride with you, otherwise see you in September!

I read that travelers  eastbound on Hwy 20 have to follow a lead car through smoke and fire areas nearer to Winthrop.  Will WA DOT allow FJRay to be the Marshall of that parade?  Unable to drag advisory link from:

SR 20 North Cascade Highway between milepost 144 and 171 there is a reduced speed zone of 35 m.p.h. due to ongoing fire response activity in the area and near the roadway. Travelers should expect longer than normal travel times. Do not attempt to pass other vehicles or pull over on the side of the road within the reduced speed zone.Last Updated: 8/10/2021 9:58 AMFrom milepost 144 to milepost 171

Wish I could ride with you, otherwise see you in September!
If they know what's good for them they will. :jester:

I did North cascades yesterday. People everywhere and smokey as hell. Left some of my brides ashes at her favorite spot. The fire damage is horrible  and burned to the road for miles. Smoke was thick all the way down the Methow and on down the Columbia to Wenatchee.  Less smoke this morning but still ugly all the way home.

I did North cascades yesterday. People everywhere and smokey as hell. Left some of my brides ashes at her favorite spot. The fire damage is horrible  and burned to the road for miles. Smoke was thick all the way down the Methow and on down the Columbia to Wenatchee.  Less smoke this morning but still ugly all the way home.
Real nice Ray.

I hear you on the smoke, today was our worst day yet. Good thing I only rode the S10 on a pre NAFO shakedown 185 miles. Up 49 and back via Truckee.

The thickest smoke was at home.

I'm wondering about the road to Gleenwood Springs???
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead Kevin!