Hydrophobic mirror film

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
Looks interesting. I can see doing both the inside of a visor to reduce fogging and the outside to disperse rain. I will be interested in seeing real-world reviews.

Looks like Google Translate was used to create the advertising copy!

Who needs mirrors? Usually I am passing everyone.
innocent.gif

Just sayin,

Dave

Great Viscosity -- With high waterproof and rainproof performance, it still fix on your mirror and window after heavy rain. Don’t worry about dropping with the rainproof films in terrible weather.

Prevent your rearview mirrors from dirty and blurring, avoid some dangers.

Who wrote the ad copy?

I found it moving.

Great Viscosity -- With high waterproof and rainproof performance, it still fix on your mirror and window after heavy rain. Don’t worry about dropping with the rainproof films in terrible weather. Prevent your rearview mirrors from dirty and blurring, avoid some dangers.

Who wrote the ad copy?

I found it moving.
You would.

Great Viscosity -- With high waterproof and rainproof performance, it still fix on your mirror and window after heavy rain. Don’t worry about dropping with the rainproof films in terrible weather. Prevent your rearview mirrors from dirty and blurring, avoid some dangers.

Who wrote the ad copy?

I found it moving.
It is pretty shitty

Who wrote the ad copy?

I found it moving.
Luv you long time tu!

Back on topic..for the outside maybe, but the pinlock works best to keep the inside clear.

Years ago I bought a product designed to wipe on the inside of my visor. It was supposed to prevent fogging. What i got was distorted vision when looking through the film. Likely not the same product, but I bought a pillock visor instead. Works very well.

I was puzzled by the title of this post as "Hydrophobia" is both the fear of water and the old name for rabies. Glad it's only Filmy Mirrors

I just ordered a set. I'll try it on the mirrors (have to trim around the spot mirrors I have mounted), another sheet on the side window of my car, and maybe try one on the outside of my visor. If I have enough, I'll put one on the inside of my summer visor (the one without the Pinlock mounted on it) and see ;how that works. Looks like it's removable, maybe even re-usable. I'll let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain-X for both glass and now available for plastic also. Works good for me.

From what I understand, there are hydrophobic treatments that work better than Rain X.

(Like this one I'm told)

https://www.amazon.com/Nanotechnology-Hendlex-Hydrophobic-Waterproof-Protection/dp/B01M04X75W

Rain X also needs to be reapplied periodically. I've used it myself on my car and it doesn't repel water as completely as the film in the ad does.(Yes I know it's their ad) Water on the rear view mirrors doesn't get blown off by the wind (on my bike) so was looking for an alternative, hence seeing if anyone tried this product.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand, there are hydrophobic treatments that work better than Rain X.(Like this one I'm told)

https://www.amazon.com/Nanotechnology-Hendlex-Hydrophobic-Waterproof-Protection/dp/B01M04X75W

Rain X also needs to be reapplied periodically. I've used it myself on my car and it doesn't repel water as completely as the film in the ad does.(Yes I know it's their ad) Water on the rear view mirrors doesn't get blown off by the wind (on my bike) so was looking for an alternative, hence seeing if anyone tried this product.
Considering the price of that product, I can buy 3 containers of Rain-x. I have been using rain-x on my car windows and home showers for several years and it works well. For the price difference I can apply more often and still be $$'s ahead.

I think that's the reason I was asking about the films and not the liquid treatments. I've seen them online from

$8.00 to $15.00 and it appears you never have to replace or "renew" them, they seemingly last forever.

Sometimes it's not about cost to me. Farkles are always an expense. If I add up all the money I've spent on motorcycles and motorcycle accessories, it be odd to quibble over something that costs less than a pizza and a six pack. ;)

I think that's the reason I was asking about the films and not the liquid treatments. I've seen them online from $8.00 to $15.00 and it appears you never have to replace or "renew" them, they seemingly last forever. Sometimes it's not about cost to me. Farkles are always an expense. If I add up all the money I've spent on motorcycles and motorcycle accessories, it be odd to quibble over something that costs less than a pizza and a six pack.
wink.png
Do you drink a six pac with every pizza? Perhaps Bud or Coors Light.

If Rain-X specifically offers a plastic-friendly formulation, I'll be on it like white on rice. The glass version, correctly applied*, works a treat on my cars. The glass version specifically rules out using it on plastics.

*Clean the windshield. Apply Rain-x, liberally squirted on a clean rag and not directly on the glass, with the same circular moves used with applying wax. Repeat as needed, to develop a thin haze, on all of the windshield. Repeat the process a second time, over the existing haze. After the full windshield is hazed over, get a second, clean rag. Use a small spray bottle to mist water onto parts of the windshield in the order that the Rain-X was applied. Mist on, haze off. Wax on, wax off. Repeat misting to sort out any remaining hazed bits. Depending on the amount of rain and windshield wiper action, a coating is probably good for two weeks before there's appreciably less beading.