Hydrophobic mirror film

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's that report I promised the other day--at least it will appear in the same year.

I was impressed at first. Two decent sized rectangles of material and two ovals for mirrors, well protected in a good quality shipping box. It had to wait, we had a holiday in this part of the country last week, but I tried to do it today.

NO IDEA if it would make rain disappear or not. I was totally unable to mount it, period. The plastic sheets are stiff--way too stiff to conform to the curve of a face shield, inside or out. And there was no apparent way to make them adhere to anything. You'd have as much luck trying to stick your Visa card to the inside of your shield or your mirror. And what I took to be an abundance of materials for applying to multiple helmets or vehicles was actually parts one and two of the same thing, so after you put the first one on, wherever you were going to put it, you're supposed to put the second part OVER the first part. So it ends up TWO layers thick. And there's a light blue tint on the material that didn't seem too bad, darkness-wise. Until I stacked the two parts together and got a nice "sunglasses" effect. But it didn't matter, since I couldn't mount it.

Finally, the instructions, feeble and inadequate as they were, were written by someone who spoke no English, and apparently no Chinese either. To wit: "The car mirror gush water, ensure the screen protector in mirror sliding into the place." Or maybe "Complete the sticker, the car mirror encounter rain can maintain a clear effect." Well, maybe.

But it was fairly cheap, at least.

Mmmmm. From what I saw in a video is they misted the mirror with water, then used a credit card to squeeze out the water and air bubbles. Not sure what you mean by two parts or layers, unless they didn't put that info in the video.

Oddly it shows them pulling one layer off BEFORE they squeegee the air/water out, which you'd think you'd do after..

Oddly there are several positive reviews (and a few very negative ones)

For this one, which seemed to be the same product... but by a different manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/Snowproof-Rainproof-Foseal-waterproof-Anti-scratch/dp/B07H7Z562F/ref=asc_df_B07H7Z562F/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312202698398&hvpos=1o8&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18190131676741415460&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022843&hvtargid=pla-569124248119&psc=1

Did notice there were no customer reviews on the one I linked to in my original post. :(

So maybe the Chinese one is a bad knock off or the crappy instructions are the issue?

IMNSHO films are nice but... For all of the films I've ever messed with, there is no way to get a 100% bubble-free application. Rain-X glass works big time. There is some wear over time (dunno why). The area swept by the wiper blades wears down, of course. If the plastic version works as well as the glass version, no question, Rain-X is, by far, the winner. My guess is Rain-X changed the carrier from a plastic to something isn't a plastic solvent. Check the glass version to see their "don't get it on plastic" warning, Probably the actual hydrophobic agent was tweaked to work with the carrier, so a change in performance is possible. NTL, follow the instructions fully, and forget bubbly films. (I've seen demos where the video "star" clearly didn't RTFM)