I am rich...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Reporting from the shadows of Paris Mountain...This was originally going to be a post aimed at indicating how nice it is not to be in the great white north anymore and glory in my new surroundings. This is not that post. That may come some other time...but this is not that post.

I woke up to a sunny but cool morning (high 40s) with a high of mid 50s today. I got up lazy like, had coffee and breakfast. My God-fearing wifey went to church and I geared up for a quick ride, not sure where I would end up...hopefully getting back for lunch with wifey.

I geared up, electrics at my disposal and snuck out to the backroads about 11:15. Headed west on Dacusville Rd, snuck around the north side of Pickens and took a right on 178...one of my favorite rompin roads up the hill into NC. But lets backup...on Dacusville Rd, I'm fully breathing in the scenery around me as I head west, passing cattle in the pasture on the left, goats in a hobby farm on the right. Enjoying the dips and lefts and rights and the roar of the 1300cc Gen3 motor. There are moments where you are so enjoying the moment, you just want it to last forever...then poof, on to the next. That was today. I am so rich and blessed to have this...a fine machine, a sunny day, rural scenery and roads that rock...all within a short hop from where I live. Well, I can revel in the uplands, but I also came out here to rock...so a right on 178 was called for.

I can't describe 178 up the hill...but trust me...it's a fun one...lightly travelled and second gear is your friend...all the way up the rpm range. I wanted some thrills and 178 was fun.

What's this...E. Fork Road?? Yep, take a right here...good backwoods connector to 276. Now a few weeks back I was in a bit of a mood to let the adrenaline out, so I ran hi revs and hooned my way from one side of E. Fork Rd to the other, with a certain 2007 FJR hot on my tail. This was not that ride. I kept it more mellow this time, just enjoying the time on the bike, hearing the engine, seeing the road's next curve, viewing the creek as it winds along with the road. Stopped for a photo.

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

So, I finally finish up my helping of E. Fork Rd...and take a right on 276, heading south...I sometimes pass where others may choose not to...I find that happens on 276...but I was generally a good boy and stopped in at the Caesars Head overlook before heading down the hill into the upstate.

IMG_1640.jpg

Table Rock Reservoir

IMG_1642.jpg

At the overlook...

IMG_1644.jpg

So before I head down the hill, I text Louanne that I will be home about 1:20. I head down the hill, a tight series of switchbacks...lots of fun if the roads are clear. I have a few cars in front of me but at the appropriate moment I take advantage of that fantastic motor and enjoy the twisting turning of 276 down to the bottom of the hill. (The elevations varied from 900 to 3100 on this 90 mile ride, mid 40s temps at 3100ft, 51 at 900ft...it was a very cool day for around here)

But the fun is not done yet...as I amble along behind the other cars on Hwy 11...I settle in as they are going at a comfortable 10 over and it is a very straight rd...so nothing to gain by hooning here. However, I expected some to turn left at 11, but they all ended up staying on 276 towards Cleveland and Marietta..and being a bit more pokey on the curves. Picked a spot and passed them and enjoyed some curvy roads outside of town. After passing through Marietta, I took a right on Dacusville Road again and enjoyed the heck out of that road. HOON time for sure. I arrived back at the appointed time...just amazed at what I had just done. Ridden a short 2 hr ride, covered 90 miles on some of the most amazing roads. I am blessed. I am rich beyond words.

Well I got home hungry...and my darlin wife already grilled the marinated chicken. Man oh man that is some good eatin!

IMG_1645.jpg

I am rich...

IMG_1647.jpg

Louanne enjoying some reading time out on the back porch....I am rich, I have the bestest wife ever

IMG_1646.jpg

Well after that awesome meal, we wanted to get out and walk in the warm part of this cool day, so we headed over to walk a couple miles at the nearby Furman University...

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Clocktower

IMG_1656.jpg

Most of the leaves have fallen around here, but the Japanese Maples are beautiful...

IMG_1657.jpg

Walked into their rose garden for a minute...

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

Lots of color on campus...

IMG_1665.jpg

Beauty, even in the late, last vestiges of fall

IMG_1666.jpg

Time to walk back up the Swamp Rabbit Trail...the local rails to trails path

IMG_1667.jpg

Lastly, the buildings of Greenville from 20 minutes away on Paris Mtn...

IMG_1669.jpg

Had an awesome day...bad cell phone pictures aside...hope you enjoyed the quick ride around my block.

Very nicely done, sir. You are indeed a rich man.

This week, on my way to work, I rode an entire cloverleaf three times. Then to balance it out, I rode four times around a roundabout on the way home. Sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts