I dropped her again.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaiderBill

Reaction score
I was out riding at a local lake just enjoying the day today. Decided to do a u turn but it was going uphill slowly, when i got halfway around gravity took over and down she went. I went rolling a couple times and listening to the bike hit the road was not nice. Only dropped her twice now last was 5 yrs ago. This time the t rex front guards and bag guards saved the day. Front mirror folded in and it does not seem like the stay is broken. slight scratching on back bag. Worst scratches on front left mirror. And of course on the bottom of the engine guard and trex plastic stop. Pride not hurt as no one around. Looked at the bike and wondered if I could stand her up as it was sideways on a downslope. I had no problem, at least lifting weights my whole life came in good for something today. Hit 120 on the way home smooth as glass. Cleaned her up and hit with blue and flat black touch up paint. Maybe will replace the front mirror but other than that cant complain I was not hurt whatsoever and Does not seem like I have to open the whole front end of the bike again to replace the stay.

Already touched up with paint. Probably just call it good.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for sharing! Not everyone would be willing to show the results of an error, but it surely helps the community.
Those exact same guards came on mine and I've been considering removing them:
  • I'm not crazy about the looks
  • I'm sure they're pretty heavy
  • and most importantly, the rears limit my wife's foot movement on her pegs.
I'm sure though that as soon as I remove them I'll end up dropping the bike.

How bad do you think the damage would have been without the rear guard with no bags on, but the front still installed?

Those u-turns will surprise you every time!

Something I do fairly often is take some time and practice them. This goes back to when I was teaching MSF. I used my FJR and my HD softtail to demo the exercises (taught on base, no MSF trainer bikes provided for that scenario).

In an empty parking lot, the width of 2 parking spaces is about what the normal 2 lane road is width wise. It's managing clutch and rear brake while keeping your eyes up and looking well through the turn.

Practicing solo helps when I'm 2-up and need to turn around or maneuver in a parking lot.

best of luck!

Wayne

What a bummer, RaiderBill. Dropping a streetbike just sucks no matter the outcome. Looks like you really lucked out with minimal damage.

My 2013 rolled off the sidestand because I'm an idiot and the damage totaled $4K. This happened about 3 weeks after I bought it. :mad:

My 2013 rolled off the sidestand because I'm an idiot and the damage totaled $4K. This happened about 3 weeks after I bought it.

Ditto twice!!! My new to me 2013 rolled forward (because I thought we were on level ground) and broke my left mirror and scratched the left plastic. I replaced them both @ my expense ($400+) and moved on.

Now I always park her in gear (unless I'm in my own garage). YMMV

Bionicpork, of course i am not sure how bad the bag damage would of been without the back bag guards but I would have been worse and there was some scratches on the guards. My wife commented on how the guards were uncomfortable on her leg position also. I dont ride with my wife on as it feels as I am slammed up against the tank.

I dropped my bike in my garage after only having it a week. Broke the stay and had to take the whole front end apart. Thats when i bought all the tipover guards. Glad I did.

extrememarine, Im sure I could use more practice doing u turns but I think the u turn and downhill thing is definately what got me. I am going to be more careful as I hate damaging my bikes.

Ditto twice!!! My new to me 2013 rolled forward (because I thought we were on level ground) and broke my left mirror and scratched the left plastic. I replaced them both @ my expense ($400+) and moved on.

Now I always park her in gear (unless I'm in my own garage). YMMV
My 2013 tipped over and skidded a small distance because the place we had to park bikes was slightly elevated. So scratching exhaust, left side engine cover , plastic and mirror. I decided to live with it, although it still kind of hurts.

What a bummer, RaiderBill. Dropping a streetbike just sucks no matter the outcome. Looks like you really lucked out with minimal damage.

My 2013 rolled off the sidestand because I'm an idiot and the damage totaled $4K. This happened about 3 weeks after I bought it. :mad:
Yeah...me too...bought my first FJR in '06...brand new & took it home to show my honey....off the stand it went while idling on my slightly-sloped driveway.
I couldn't understand why Yami had such terrible stands!?!? All other stands are harder to disengage -most have a small hump/dimple to overcome I could move this one with one finger. Yep...now be sure stand is all the way out and bike in-gear..

Those u-turns will surprise you every time!

Something I do fairly often is take some time and practice them. This goes back to when I was teaching MSF. I used my FJR and my HD softtail to demo the exercises (taught on base, no MSF trainer bikes provided for that scenario).

In an empty parking lot, the width of 2 parking spaces is about what the normal 2 lane road is width wise. It's managing clutch and rear brake while keeping your eyes up and looking well through the turn.

Practicing solo helps when I'm 2-up and need to turn around or maneuver in a parking lot.

best of luck!

Wayne
Yep...exactly how to get better...loved my MSF advanced course...
I watched police compete in obstacle courses with Ultra Glides doing lots of 180 turns in 8-9 ft...seems we can do it in at least 7 w/o front wheelies! Secret is - like you said. - to keep moving and turn your head all the back looking into your turn.
PS...unless you're really practiced, you will not out maneuver trained cops on Harleys...

@RaiderBill sorry to hear about the drop. I would've expected more protection from crash bars, but I have no experience on the matter. I've had my completely stock 2014 for a short while now and contemplating adding crash bars or going with frame sliders. I have no experience with either, just what I've researched. At slower (u-turn) speed I suppose either would do their job and not allow too much damage? But at higher speeds - I worry about high siding, bolts snapping off in the frame, and other issues? Maybe there is another thread on this topic? thanks all.

Dropping a bike and high siding are two completely different scenarios with two completely different outcomes. While cages and such may provide some cosmetic protection to the plastic , high siding will often times require a Homer bucket and a pick up truck to get what's left of the bike home. Most of us that have had the unfortunate luck of dropping a bike and I am one of them, usually worry about that ugly scratch to the mirror or bar end, wanting to return the bike back to it's pristine condition. High side and you won't be concerned with 400 grit wet n dry or color match shake can paint. I've thought of putting frame sliders on for SOME protection but I'd probably end up changing those out as well because they too look crappy. 😅 It doesn't take much nowadays to cause thousands of $$ in damage. Be safe

extrememarine, Im sure I could use more practice doing u turns but I think the u turn and downhill thing is definately what got me. I am going to be more careful as I hate damaging my bikes.
Exact same thing happened to me on my Banff-Jasper ride. Parking lot upgrade, uturn to the left, wham. The hill added too much lean and gravity took over. Three teenage boys came running and helped lift the bike. No engine guards at that time. Minor fairing damage. May I add the uturn is a ballet between clutch, rear brake, and gravity.

Basic rider "knowledge" (actually it's more experience than knowledge)... never do a u-turn on a hill, facing up OR down. It's like pulling into a parking space, nose first, with a down hill slope. Back peddling out of the spot will be a bitch. Need to think of these situations in advance.

Last edited: