I dropped her again.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whooshka, Well I wish you were there to flick me on the head before I did this. Bet I will not do it again.

Last edited:
Got my color match paint today and was doing some touch ups. Pushed up on the mirror and it was just moving too much. I took the front inner plastic off and yep broke the stay again. This time very clean break on the outer part by the mirror. Even without fixing it is was ok. I am not doing 10-12 hrs of work (i am slow) again and taking the whole front apart. besides a stay is 312 dollars. Jb weld new and improved 8 bucks.

Attachments

• fjr broken stay.jpg
    fjr broken stay.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2
And here the stay is with jb weld all over it. I put the dash back together and done for a long time hopefully.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1
Ok, now I have to buy a new front fender as it looks like someone hit me with their door or backed into me at work. Good thing is partzilla has it with shipping for 115 bucks. Rough time for the fjr lately.

Ok, now I have to buy a new front fender as it looks like someone hit me with their door or backed into me at work. Good thing is partzilla has it with shipping for 115 bucks. Rough time for the fjr lately.
Last year when I ordered my OEM mirrors I ordered a new front fender 2008 AE. Partzilla contacted me a few days later the saleman said Japan does not have any front fenders for my model. He researched the part# looking for one with no luck. I asked him if Yamaha had two pairs of mirror's if so order me two. They did so I have a pair if I drop it again as I have broken one mirror and scratched the other side. I have crash bars so my bags and fairing was not scratched. I hope you have better results as mine is a one year color for the AE only.

Adding to “you’re not the only one”. I too dropped my ‘06 pulling an uphill U turn on a particularly high crowned road with loaded bags, top box and pillion. I was late to the gate at a state park I’d planned to buzz thru so was faced with a $5 admission. Instead of taking a pause and think moment I pulled a no issue U - which became a yes issue U. Dumped rider and passenger (no boo boos, just a WTF? partner), broke external left mirror and decent scratches to left upper, pipe and bag. Embarrassing? Indeed! Learning potential… every day, always. Fix cost vs. the park fee? Well, I guess I’ll own that. Re: downhill U’s - I don’t see an issue there.

I dropped my '19 fjr in early spring this year. I was parked on street, I went to go, but a car pulled in front of me. I stopped & put my feet down......no ground.....slowly tipping to right.side. When I did touch ground, the angle was too much to pull the bike up and laid it down. I have SW-Moto engine guards installed, so no damage to bars or mirrors. I do have a slight scratch on right bag on the style line, but not noticeable. Speedbird

My 2008 AE mirror different color but I'll sell you a used spare :) lol
Louis
Wow, really nice of you but I am ok with my painting job on the old mirror. Unless you are really on it you dont even notice. I really should just change to mirrors that just fold in easy if dropped though.

... I really should just change to mirrors that just fold in easy if dropped though.
It is possible to allow the OEM mirrors to fold more.

As I post this, the internet connection to my web site server is down. I'll post a couple of images to the forum for now, when my internet issue is resolved I will put in links to my web site with more hopefully helpful images.

Two most useful images below:

Undo hex nut at mirror hinge. Watch out for the three ball bearings, easily lost.
1_IMG_2580.JPG

in the above picture you can see the stop tab on the mirror part.

Cut that off, the mirror will fold more. It could turn right round, nothing to stop it until it hits the windscreen.

Tab hacksawed off and filed smooth.
1_IMG_2584.JPG

I tried this on a damaged mirror, though never used it like this.

When you reassemble it, the spring washers are in this order: (())(())

Images I took when trying this:
(Click on image for larger view)

Can be viewed on my web site in a sequence about replacing the mirror mount here.

Last edited: