I forked myself.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A text from KFG Auburn says delivery parts in on the 26th ( I'm having the forks upgraded, surprise!) and then another text is to be expected.
The timing is getting tight as I am departing for places in Oregon on the 31st. BTW, thanks for the inquiry -G. Lasty, I've been riding every day on Panman's forks, and loving it!

Later gators

I know this is a year old post, but thought this might be helpful. I was replacing the seals in my '06 this weekend and had the same issue as Archer except my tube was compressed vs fully extended. I thought that if I could find a pipe that fit inside the fork, and sat on the collar of the fork cap , I could tap it loose. I bought a 24" length of 1-1/4" PVC with a 1-1/4" plug and a 10" 3/8 carriage bolt. I put the plug inside the PVC, slid the PVC (plug first) into the fork tube and screwed on the fork cap. Then I put the carriage bolt through the hole in the bottom of the fork . I was concerned that a hard whack could strip the threads on the cap so I tapped it gently. 4 or 5 taps and it loosened up and I proceeded to slide the tube up and down to remove the seal. When it came apart , I saw that the bottom bushing had come all the way off. I figure it got wedged in the tube somehow. Here's a picture of the parts I used.
BTW - thanks to FJRed for the great article he wrote on replacing the seals and bushings
(https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ForkSeal-BushingReplacement.pdf)

Attachments

• 20230620_074801.jpg
    20230620_074801.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 0