I forked myself.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I removed my forks, dumped the oil, unscrewed RH tube internals complete, same with LH, and began to separate the outer tube from the inner tube. The lower bushings (and maybe middle) moved around and then jammed tight, leaving the tubes still connected but fully extended. This was my fault because I then did the exact thing to second fork tube.

I took frozen forks to Yamaha shop on highway just east of Seattle and was told worst case ever. No available solutions. Was also told Yamaha no longer supports the 2013 (A) with available replacement forks (?).

Signing into Yamahamotorsports and selecting all parts related to Forks returns message saying contact local Yamaha representative. Searching eBay for used forks has nothing. Seems stupid for me to chase forks off a wrecked bike.

My questions for the Forum members, please, are as follow:

Firstly, what the Hell should I do?

Are new forks anywhere in the U.S. supply chain?

Does any member have forks that I could buy?

Thank you, fellow members.

Archer

Last edited:
Archer, fear not. The mid/lower bushing jam is a fairly normal issue. I might recommend calling Traxxion and asking their method for removing a particularly stubborn pair? I'm certain they would have a lot of experience on these.

While your talking to them, you can ask their availability on new fork tubes. It was a supply chain issue for a bit, but I don't know if that has relaxed over the last 6-months to a year.

I would first try to find an independent shop to see if they can separate them. You can likely collapse the forks again and heat the upper bushing before making another attempt. If you are unsure, take them to someone who knows. As Dale_I said, this is NOT uncommon. I do recall, however, one person who had a problem that resulted in destroyed forks...
You might want to read some of these results/threads associated with the following search:
Forks - gixxerjasen
(LOTS of reading)

Keep an eye on Ebay etc. Not sure but I think you may be able to use a Gen II fork set. Would have to make sure the ABS sensor worked with them...

Can confirm GEN II forks are a direct bolt in for any "A" model '06 to '19.

Archer - I would call a few on-line parts houses and see what answers you get. A couple to try are Partzilla, Cycle Parts Warehouse and Lone Star Yamaha. There's many others, these are the few I regularly use. I find it hard to believe "A" model fork parts are no longer available.

~G

Archer- Talked to Panman a few minutes ago. He recommended you give KFG a call to see if they are willing to look at your forked forks. Years ago, KFG did a lot of FJR fork work when they were selling and installing the GP Suspension internals. Worth a phone call...

~G

I removed my forks, dumped the oil, unscrewed RH tube internals complete, same with LH, and began to separate the outer tube from the inner tube. The lower bushings (and maybe middle) moved around and then jammed tight, leaving the tubes still connected but fully extended. This was my fault because I then did the exact thing to second fork tube.

I took frozen forks to Yamaha shop on highway just east of Seattle and was told worst case ever. No available solutions. Was also told Yamaha no longer supports the 2013 (A) with available replacement forks (?).

Signing into Yamahamotorsports and selecting all parts related to Forks returns message saying contact local Yamaha representative. Searching eBay for used forks has nothing. Seems stupid for me to chase forks off a wrecked bike.

My questions for the Forum members, please, are as follow:

Firstly, what the Hell should I do?

Are new forks anywhere in the U.S. supply chain?

Does any member have forks that I could buy?

Thank you, fellow members.

Archer
I would expect a dealer to give that exact answer.
I've worked on non FJR tubes and I'm trying to picture this.
Are these upside down tube types in that model year, or regular ones? Did this happen in the process of tapping out the seal? How hard were you pulling when the jammed? Can they not be tapped back in?

I'm trying to understand how this happens because I'm sure I'll have my turn.

Absolute worst case scenario is buy a new complete set of Gen II forks @ $685 ea from Partzilla.
Next is to buy inner and outer tubes for around $445 per set - rest of internals should be salvageable although you would still need bushings and seals etc

If I was doing that, I would talk to Traxxion (or similar) and ask what they would charge for the full meal deal - AK20 and rebuilt forks. I'm betting they could do it starting with yours... Bonus is you get a GREAT set of forks.

If you are too nervous about trying to collapse the fork again, I think it is likely that a really good suspension shop could help. If you are brave, percussive maintenance with a piece of 2 x 4 probably won't hurt it any worse than it is already. (Or a rubber mallet with a wood buffer might be more controlled.)

Searching eBay for used forks has nothing. Seems stupid for me to chase forks off a wrecked bike.
I agree. In the event of a serious wreck, there is a pretty good chance that the forks would be tweaked. (But you could get lucky)

Are these upside down tube types in that model year, or regular ones? Did this happen in the process of tapping out the seal? How hard were you pulling when the jammed? Can they not be tapped back in?
(Edit - these are conventional forks, not the upside-down ones in the ES version for 2014+)
When you use the "slide hammer" technique to separate the forks and pop out the seals, the (I think) middle bushing can get jammed under the top bushing. Usually they can be tapped back although it can take some force - thus my suggestion of mallet with wood buffer.

Something to remember...
Make sure you remove the snap ring BEFORE trying to separate forks...

Good reference
https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/ForkSeal-BushingReplacement.pdf

Last edited:
I believe these are KYB 48MM conventional forks, easy easy stuff. what RossKean stated above. make sure the seal snap ring is removed and the bottom dampening rod bolt is removed and slid hammer them apart. yes, the bushings will lodge themselves into each other and the fork halves will get “stuck”, as he (RossKean) mentioned, a piece of wood and a rubber mallet whack should dislodge the fork halves back and you can try again to seperate the halves. they will come apart, trust me. new bushings and seals will be needed afterwords of course. sometimes it takes a little persuasion (force) to seperate the forks. good luck and keep us posted.

Archer- Talked to Panman a few minutes ago. He recommended you give KFG a call to see if they are willing to look at your forked forks. Years ago, KFG did a lot of FJR fork work when they were selling and installing the GP Suspension internals. Worth a phone call...

~G
I would call KFG directly and talk to Barry. Pretty sure he can fix you up.

Heat the area around the middle bushing with a MAP gas torch (puts a lot of heat in a short period of time - won't damage your forks - but it will get HOT fast). I usually give it a good 15-20 seconds. Keep the torch moving. It will put a lot of heat in the outer fork leg. It won't hurt it. Then try to pull apart. If tube is stuck, I take a block of wood (piece of a 2x4) and put it over the top of the fork tube and use a small sledgehammer to knock the tube back in, so it is free to slide (you can do this before you heat the tube or after doesn't matter). Then you can slide hammer like you were before. If the tube comes out with the middle bushing still in the fork leg, I use a small wood chisel (1/4") and pound in next the split in the bushing with the flat side of the chisel to the bushing. You are trying to wedge the bushing toward the middle of the fork tube. You will remove a small amount of the aluminum on the fork leg, but that won't hurt the forks at all. Then you can bend the bushing towards the center. It should almost fall out, if not, I use a needle nose plier and you can pull or twist it out.

PM me if you need to and we can connect via phone.

Last edited:
Panman has seen one we had during a tech meet that had a similar problem to yours.

Also, on reassembly, you can talk to Traxxion, but I don't think they replace the middle bushing. I think they build them with upper and lower only.

Archer has a temporary solution in hand and a few more ideas to try. Hopefully one of the shops has tools and know how to free the stuck bushings.

~G

Also, on reassembly, you can talk to Traxxion, but I don't think they replace the middle bushing. I think they build them with upper and lower only.
You are correct. They don't and I didn't the last time I did seals on my Traxxion-equipped forks.