I got a rear wheel, but...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slonishku

Reaction score
Well, I just scored a 2010 rear wheel for the JAX checkpoint- awesome! I got it from a salvage yard and it included the brake rotor. It arrived today with a few things missing. It looks to be in great shape, but the rotor is loose- no bolts. Also missing is the flippin' ABS rotor magnet. The yard still has it, I just need to try to get them to sell it to me too.

Just in case that's a no-go, how hard would it be to swap my existing rotor to the new wheel in JAX? I don't want to play with disassembling it if it involves the sort of force required to remove the brake rotor bolts...

I found an ABS rotor magnet, now I just need to figure out what the part number, or at least the dimensions, of the three bolts that secure it to the wheel itself. Anyone? Bueller...? Bueller...?

He's talking about the three screws that attach the magnetic ABS sensor ring to the wheel, not the rotor. For some odd reason, none of Yamaha's parts diagrams show either the magnetic sensor ring nor the the screws that attach it.

Alex, the only idea I have is to take one of your current one's out and go to a hardware store and try to match it.

I think that's the plan. I just picked up a generic "metric sportbike" bolt and fastener assortment pack from the stealership. We'll see what (if anything) fits. My only concern once I find the right size is whether the stockers are made of some sort of non-magnetic alloy or some such thing.

My only concern once I find the right size is whether the stockers are made of some sort of non-magnetic alloy or some such thing.
You could reduce the potential risk by using stainless steel fasteners....however I wouldn't worry too much. You have steel bearings and a giant steel axle nearby. I doubt 3 fasteners are going to be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex,

Just catching up. Glad you got your replacement rear and it looks like all the necessary parts.

I am sure you are on top if it... but double check the bearings inside the wheel for roughness, etc and the seals for damage. As you are buying used, I doubt you will have the history of the wheel/bike. You will probably have no problems as it must be a fairly new model. Just wanted to highlight this as the bearings on my used wheel where pooched...

See you at the start.

Perry

Alex,

Just catching up. Glad you got your replacement rear and it looks like all the necessary parts.

I am sure you are on top if it... but double check the bearings inside the wheel for roughness, etc and the seals for damage. As you are buying used, I doubt you will have the history of the wheel/bike. You will probably have no problems as it must be a fairly new model. Just wanted to highlight this as the bearings on my used wheel where pooched...

See you at the start.

Perry
Thanks, Perry! The wheel is off a 2010. It had a Z6 mounted with little life left, so who knows what sort of mileage is on this wheel, but I doubt it's significant.

I had a new PR2 mounted yesterday and got a second opinion form the shop guys confirming my assessment of everything looking good. It was well packaged when shipped to me, so I'll use the same box to ship it to JAX. Once the rotor magnet it here, I'll but a few dozen miles on the whole setup to ensure it's working as it should, then send it off.

My friend will be bringing a hefty torque wrench, required sockets, and grease to the checkpoint. If anyone wants to use them, just let me know. I get first dibs, of course. :)