I hate hurricane weather!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrb0

Reaction score
Forecast is 100% chance of rain today, 100% tomorrow, and Thursday's not looking good either. And we're not talking showers, we're talking 3-5 inches, as much as 10" in some areas...so you guys get to put up with my postings for a while.... :ph34r:

I feel for ya! Gustav is a slow mover. At least this will kill the drought conditions for a while.

Now we have Hurricane Hannah, Ike, & Josephine to be concerned with.

https://www.skeetobiteweather.com/

So it looks like our dry weather pattern will be on vacation a while. But the good news, this is a real drought killer for us and we could actually use some good water to build up the ground water reservoirs and lakes.

Got Rain Suit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I've even got two rain suits. My problem comes from the early years, seems like at least half my scars come from motorcycles and rain mixed together!

Yes, Georgia and Tennessee could really use some free water! If those next three line up like they are saying, you might be rained out until October.

Sounds like you are in ideal country for cycle riding, once you get out of ATL....

You still got a ROOF? Then I don't want to hear about it, bucko!! :) Seriously though, I'm going to have to be buying a new roof and siding after this season is over, but that's mainly because I've got that masonite crap. At least it's rather mild so far.

quote name='Crash Cash' date='Sep 2 2008, 08:56 PM' post='482646']

You still got a ROOF? Then I don't want to hear about it, bucko!! :) Seriously though, I'm going to have to be buying a new roof and siding after this season is over, but that's mainly because I've got that masonite crap. At least it's rather mild so far.

Well, sort of, we had so much hail damage back in the spring, the roof is leaking over the carport area. Insurance paid up, but we are about 80th in line for our roofing job. My main concern right now is the old oak tree in the back yard, and the pecans all over the rest of the place, when the soil gets this soggy and the wind keeps up, no telling what will happen next.

:dribble:

see heres where i dont get it,people say no way id live in california,they got earthquakes.yes we do but the last big one was 10 years ago.

florida gets hurricanes EVERY YEAR.why not build a house where the wolf wont huff and puff and blow your house down,and arkansas and missouri....tornados every year.

ill take the shakin thank you

So we have earthquakes, tornados, and hurricanes. Let's add in -30 degree F temperatures with blinding snow. Where are you going to live? Pick your poison! Everywhere has something going against it at some level. Is there a perfect state weatherwise?

So we have earthquakes, tornados, and hurricanes. Let's add in -30 degree F temperatures with blinding snow. Where are you going to live? Pick your poison! Everywhere has something going against it at some level. Is there a perfect state weatherwise?

Well nothin's perfect...but maybe Hawaii? <_<

I hate hurricane weather!!!

Forecast is 100% chance of rain today, 100% tomorrow, and Thursday's not looking good either. And we're not talking showers, we're talking 3-5 inches, as much as 10" in some areas...so you guys get to put up with my postings for a while.... :ph34r:
Move to MN.....no hurricane weather. We tend to get a wee bit cold in the winter though. :rolleyes:

Well nothin's perfect...but maybe Hawaii? <_<
hawaii is cool but your bike would never be clean,red dirt everywhere

see heres where i dont get it,people say no way id live in california,they got earthquakes.yes we do but the last big one was 10 years ago.

florida gets hurricanes EVERY YEAR.why not build a house where the wolf wont huff and puff and blow your house down,and arkansas and missouri....tornados every year.

ill take the shakin thank you
Hurricane landfalls in Florida, 2000-now (not incl. tropical storms)

2000: none

2001: none

2002: none

2003: none

2004: Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne

2005: Dennis, Katrina, Wilma

2006: none

2007: none

2008: not yet

That 2004-5 spike is what people think about and remember, and what makes insurance companies still cringe when Florida property owners call them, and their 300% jump in rates is why I can't afford the house I've been in for 10 years any more. Having lived in Panama City since 1968 I can say I've actually experienced hurricane force winds only 3 times. Eloise (1975), Opal (1995), and Ivan (2004).

And since we can see them coming, I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes or volcanos any time!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta say New Mexico and Colorado are on the short list of states with great weather. No earthquakes, no tornados, no hurricanes, no volcanic eruptions. Colorado's winters can be a bummer, but NM anywhere south of Santa Fe is pretty mild. The twisty mountian roads are everywhere, and cost of living is not very high in most places. Were running out of water, but who cares as long as there is beer. I have some property for sale.....Lemme know. :D

And it just...keeps...raining....

BUT, the reward will come in a couple a months.

A wet Aug/Sep usually will make for some awesome fall colors. :thumbsup:

And since we can see them coming, I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes or volcanos any time!!!
Plus you can relatively easily build a house that withstands a hurricane, as opposed to earthquakes or lava flows. Basically any block construction house with the roof tied on with hurricane straps and decent storm shutters will be OK, if you don't have any trees set to fall on you. Unfortunately the standard Florida house is "cheap toothpicks covered in pasteboard" style and ya get what ya pay for. Oh yeah, and don't live where you're 25ft below flood level, too, you morons! (for the pedants: you can build an earthquake resistant house too, but it takes some skull sweat and money and I can't see the cheap labor around here doing it right.)

Anyways, it looks like Hanna is passing us by. Yay!

I'm gonna stay right here in Eastern Washington, our little peice of paradise. Gets hot in the summer, up to the low triple digits, but usually at 18 to 22 percent humidity. Winters are kinda mild, rarely below 0, and my house has always been where I left it. That's reassuring.

Naw, that is just what we want other's to believe. Really, Washington and Oregon are two different states, west to east. When you crest the cascades, you leave all the moisture and cool weather behind. Eastern Washington, and Oregon are high mountain plateau. On average 8 inches of rain annually.

We are on the Columbia River, to the west are the mountains (pine trees and everything), and to the east high desert, mostly converted to farmland now. Dry land wheat farming to the north, and mass irrigation to the south. You get down where Iggy and Warchild live, its warmer, winter and summer. But the nuclear reactor keeps them glowing in the dark.

You can ride all year in Louisiana except when the big winds are blowing. Gustav just passed by us and we made it great. A little east of us there was a lot of damage.