I love my FJR, but

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon T

Reaction score
Does anyone have first hand info to compare the Ulysses to the FJR?

I've had my '04 ABS for just over a year. Went to the motorcycle show today "just to look around." As my buddy and I wandered around, nothing I saw really hit me. I really liked the Triumph Bonneville, but only if I could have two bikes.

Then I saw the Buell Ulysses (XB12XT). Where the FJR says sports bike, the Ulysses says road warrior. Like the FJR, and unlike many others, the saddle bags will hold a helmet (an untested claim, but probable). Out the door you also get a top case, back rest and two power jacks, one near the "dash" and one at the base of the seat. Fully adjustable suspension, and low center of gravity. You lose horsepower, but gain gas mileage.

I use my FJR mostly for commuting. When I ride for fun, I do enjoy the acceleration, and handling, but I'll never be good enough to reach the limits of the bike. I'd be tempted to jump if something happened to my bike.

I've had my '04 ABS for just over a year. Went to the motorcycle show today "just to look around." As my buddy and I wandered around, nothing I saw really hit me. I really liked the Triumph Bonneville, but only if I could have two bikes.

Then I saw the Buell Ulysses (XB12XT). Where the FJR says sports bike, the Ulysses says road warrior. Like the FJR, and unlike many others, the saddle bags will hold a helmet (an untested claim, but probable). Out the door you also get a top case, back rest and two power jacks, one near the "dash" and one at the base of the seat. Fully adjustable suspension, and low center of gravity. You lose horsepower, but gain gas mileage.

I use my FJR mostly for commuting. When I ride for fun, I do enjoy the acceleration, and handling, but I'll never be good enough to reach the limits of the bike. I'd be tempted to jump if something happened to my bike.
I've never seen one of the bikes here where I live....I guess you could say I'm sheltered....others..."your under a rock"! Anyway I did a little searchin' on the web for a picture....there it was ! Your right, looks like a combat device. It is radical just as the designer wants it to be with fuel and oil stored in the bikes frame and all. Now I'm not qualified to evaluate for others but when I saw the exhaust on the bike it reminded me of the two pair of riding pants my old Shadow destroyed. It also brought to mind my experience riding my FZ1. So with those thoughts in mind I dug deeper. Here is a review that I found that addresses some of my concerns. https://motorcycles.about.com/od/newmotorcy...BuellXB12XT.htm

I haven't ridden the Ulysses, but I've ridden the XB12R and -S. In two words: forget it. Worst Engine Ever. It's tame till it's going 5500 rpm and then runs strong and then hits the rev limiter right as you're starting to enjoy things. While I'm obviously not a fan of the engine, I like Buells. I like the front brake, the frame/tank, and the handling was great on both that I rode. Choosing the Buell over the V-Strom or Tiger, though, would be foolish.

Jon T:

I own an '06 Ulysses and an '06 FJR. They are both great bikes. I use the Ulysses for commuting and the FJR for long distance touring and cold weather riding. I have 20,000 miles on the FJR and 15,000 on the Buell. Except for the sticking clutch issue the FJR has been trouble free while the Ulysses has had it's instrument cluster replaced to fix a sticking speedometer stepper motor during the test sweep. It probably would have failed totally at some point in the future.

The Ulysses is lighter and handles much better than the FJR but it does have a lot less horsepower. I have just the two side bags and they easily hold 30% more gear than the FJR. My XL Scorpion helmet fits easily inside either bag. The Buell gets fantastic mpg compared to the FJR but you do need premium fuel. I would also give the nod to the Buell for less maintenance required. There is no coolant to worry about, hydraulic valve lash adjustment and a belt final drive with zero driveline lash. That belt is undoubtedly more fragile than the FJR's shaft though. While I have had no problems I have heard of others who manage to break their belts.

The Ulysses manages engine heat more poorly than the second gen FJR. Those power sockets are cigarette lighter sized so I have never plugged in my heated gear. I'm not sure what kind of current they can deliver as a result. The bike also offers way less weather protection than the FJR and the fuel tank is much smaller. I seldom get more than 175 miles before the low fuel light comes on while the FJR exceeds 200 easily.

Harley-Davidson/Buell dealers are plentiful and the parts prices are amazingly inexpensive compared to Yamaha dealers and their replacement parts pricing. Both local dealers were difficult to convince of the intermittant problems I had with each bike. However, my persistence paid off with both and each bike was fixed under warranty. Each bike also had some recall issues. The Buell for a bank angle sensor and the Yamaha for the altitude sickness ECU change.

If you simply commute and are in a car or truck during the worst of the winter I think the Ulysses is a good choice. The FJR is the more versatile choice if you can own just one bike and need it to travel long distances in all weather. I like both of them but the Ulysses is more fun most of the time. I.E., I simply smile more when riding it. The FJR is almost boring in comparison.

Dave

The only thing I can add to Dave's comments is that the Buell shakes like a wet dog at idle and the wheel base is so short, you feel like the front wheel is under your chin. It isn't bad, it's just different. All-in-all the Uly is a great bike let down by poor dealer support.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah. it's a tall bike with a longer reach to the ground than Billy Barty trying to hook up with Oluchi Onweagba.
Newer versions come with a lower seat. The XT version has a lower chassis as well. I don't think the transmission is that clunky. Certainly no worse than my BMW R1200GS was.

...the Buell shakes like a wet dog at idle
:rofl: Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight. And lets not forget the screaming 50's (or is it 60's) technology that provides the motive power to the beast...

--G

...the Buell shakes like a wet dog at idle
And lets not forget the screaming 50's (or is it 60's) technology that provides the motive power to the beast...

--G
Not so much. That's kind of like comparing a 70's CB750 to the FJR based on the fact they are both I-4's. I don't know of many 50's v-twins making close to 100 hp. I have a standing invitation to let people ride it if they seem like responsible adults with adequate riding experience. Most come away impressed.

BuellU.jpg

Put me down as a fan of the Buell(s). If I were to get a second bike, a Buell would be on the short list.

Thanks Dave (post #5), nice eval.

Can't speak on the reliability of the mostly Sportster motors used (one of the latest uses a Rotax motor iirc).

But Eric Buell's a great guy with a good sense of humor. When I met him, as he was shaking my hand, he asked me what I was riding. I answered, "An FJR-1300. You know... the Buell killer." Without missing a beat and with a gleam in his eye, he responded, "Wanna bet?"

We both laughed and he ended up picking up the tab for dinner.

Put me down as a fan of the Buell(s). If I were to get a second bike, a Buell would be on the short list.
Thanks Dave (post #5), nice eval.
+1. I might have pulled the trigger on a Uly if the local HD dealer hadn't stopped carrying Buell. Now, it's about an hour and a half to the closest dealer that wants to talk about them.

Just as well, though. I'm still in love with what I've got.

I sat on one at the moto gp at Indy this year. As others mentioned, that thing sits tall! Real tall! I almost fell getting off the thing.

If your not vertically challenged, go for it, but I can't see it as a replacement for the FJR.

I've gotta agree that the Ulysses is a pretty good bike. It is not an FJR, but I don't think it was meant to be. Although it is not as powerful, there is plenty of power there. If they were not so tall, I probably would have bought one just to have. Back when Chick's Harley Davidson in Albuquerque was still owned by Chick, he bought the Ulysses he rode at the dealer owner's intro. It was a sweet bike and he could haul ass on it. The guy owned every Harley and Buell in the dealership, and he chose to ride the Ulysses.

I remember when Chick's still had a gravel parking lot. Then, during one trip there, they had gone all up scale with a paved parking lot at a new location and the only bikes they had were concinements going for $30k! And that was several years ago.

All-in-all the Uly is a good bike let down by poor dealer support.
These things have come a long way since the introduction but the dealer support still (at least around here) Sucks. Buddy has Three of em. I think he's a bit nuts as he wanted true Sport bike but didn't want to disappoint his Old Man :unsure: The lightning blows pretty badly, The city is a bit better, but the Uly is a whole different breed of cat..

:jester: