I need MAC mapping software to build routes for my Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought a new Mac Airbook from my coming ride. I planned to use MS Streets and Trips to build a lot of the routes for this 60 day and move theM into the GPS. Some I would build before I left but most would be done in my motel rooms enroute. The routes were intended as general guides since I often get sidetracked by shiny things and make major detours.

Anyway, imagine my surprise to learn that MS Streets and Trips does not work with a MAC. So now I'm scrambling to figure out what mapping software will work without getting a degree from MIT

Anxious to hear from the members about solutions to this issue.

Garmin BaseCamp will work fine with a Mac.
Unfortunately BaceCamp is a garbage compared to even the now outdated MapSource
rolleyes.gif

I just moved from Windows 7 to an iMac and the Mac version of Basecamp is better than the Windows version. At lest I think it is. Personally I would not run Windows on a Mac. It can open it up to many of the negative issues that come with windows. I gave my son a Mac book 5 years ago and not one issues. I gave my daughter a Windows 7 Dell 3 years ago. She has had all kinds of problems with antivirus and spyware. So now she also has a Mac book.

I just moved from Windows 7 to an iMac and the Mac version of Basecamp is better than the Windows version. At lest I think it is. Personally I would not run Windows on a Mac. It can open it up to many of the negative issues that come with windows. I gave my son a Mac book 5 years ago and not one issues. I gave my daughter a Windows 7 Dell 3 years ago. She has had all kinds of problems with antivirus and spyware. So now she also has a Mac book.
+1, This is good advice!!

I would agree that Mapsource was a little better than Basecamp. I use Basecamp on the Mac and it works for creating routes. The key thing with creating routes is knowing what you're doing. If you're designing a route from point A to point B, pretty easy to do in most any mapping software. Its when you create those routes that loop around and cross over each other that the problems start. The key is making the right number of waypoints and making them in the right places. I've spent a lot of time figuring this all out but by no means have it mastered yet.

Also, you can design maps in other mapping programs and import to basecamp, but you then need to go through every waypoint or nav point and make sure they are actually on the road. I find importing maps from google maps often leaves many points 10-50 feet off the road, so when you are navigating with the zumo all of a sudden it will ask you to make a right or left turn in the middle of no where and there's no road there. This happens in basecamp too when you plop a waypoint on the road and don't zoom all the way in, but when you create a map in basecamp it creates far fewer nav points that you later have to edit. Regardless of what mapping tool you use to create a map, there will be small issues like this when you import it into basecamp as they don't all use the same map data suppliers, so there are subtle differences in the maps.

It would be a good idea for Garmin to add a feature to basecamp that will give you a "snap to line" where if you put the waypoint close to a road, it knows enough to put it on the road and not 10 feet off of it. For those of you who do cross country riding, it should be a feature that you can turn off so that you can make precise way points in the middle of nowhere. (maybe this is a feature that already exists, but if it does, I can't find it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.routeconverter.de/home/en

I use CoPilot for my navigation. Create my route in Google Maps and then use the tool above to convert it to the CoPilot format. I imagine it would work for Garmin. I've also gone form the Garim GPX back to CoPilot. Might need a little tweaking to get it right, but at least its free. I'd test it out first before really relying on it.

Actually you can build and save a route right in Copilot fairly easily. And it will bluetooth the voice into your Sena to boot. I'm getting a Nexus 7 to run it on. This will allow portrait view on a 7" screen. You could do the same with a mini ipad.

Garmin BaseCamp will work fine with a Mac.
Unfortunately BaceCamp is a garbage compared to even the now outdated MapSource
rolleyes.gif
This is only true for those who haven't learned how to use BaseCamp :D

However, I made a simply suggestion and I do not push my preferences on others, so if you prefer MapSource, then it will get the job done.

You can use a virtual machine package like Fusion or you can use the included support that comes with OS X called Bootcamp.

Launch a Windows session and run your few remaining apps under Windows until you learn the included programs that come with OS X, freeware/open source (like LibreOffice), or move over to the Mac version of something (like Photoshop).

If you're used to running something like Firefox and Thunderbird (web & mail) then transitioning away from WinTel is easier than easy. LibreOffice is open sourced office automation that can read/write standard file formats as well as those of MS Office.

Fusion (and Parallels) allow you to install a virtual Windows OS that can be run without rebooting your Mac. Bootcamp is including with OS X to allow an installation of Windows but requires a reboot to move from one to the other. The advantage is that it's free.

One example is the plethora of SnapShot-like programs for Windows. Many are free for the download but that functionality is included with OS X (Grab); much more than what Windows does with PrntScrn.

Nearly every paid app for Windows has something similar in OS X that is either included in with the OS or downloadable for free (Gimp instead of Photoshop). Meanwhile the big players like Photoshop often seem to play better with the OS under OS X than with Windows; perhaps because of the hardware support/drivers differences between the 2 platforms.

In the end, unless you have deep pockets, I found that Fusion allowed me to run Win7 seamlessly for my big apps as I transitioned and slowly replaced things like Photoshop for their native OS X. Over time, my reliance on Fusion went to nearly zip. The only reason it's not gone away completely is because there's a Windows-only Power Commander app as well as one for my Cobb-AP programmer for my Subaru STi.