I think I need a new battery.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikk

Reaction score
So I'm thinking my battery is shot.

Switching the ignition on today. My battery had been on the Battery Tender over the winter. The dash lights up, but pressing the starter button generates a rapid relay switching in the dash, like a ratcheting sound. I suspect this is the starter relay oscillating.

I observed the following:

Ignition OFF voltage reads 12V.

Ignition ON voltage drops to ~10V.

Putting the battery back on the Tender starts as Red and goes Green after a few minutes, but still no zroom zroom.

Planning on having my battery load tested tomorrow, but I suspect it is shot.

Does this sound like a reasonable conclusion?

You also need to examine all of the spider grounds and harness connectors for corrosion.

And yes, you need a new battery.

Hmmm, an '06 and you need a new battery? I guess I should be thinking that it's going to be time for a new one for me also.

<snip>...So I'm thinking my battery is shot.My battery had been on the Battery Tender over the winter.

Putting the battery back on the Tender starts as Red and goes Green after a few minutes, but still no zroom zroom.

Yes

Did testing prove-out your suspicions?

Hmmm, begs the question: "What did the battery tender maintain?" The probability of certain-death (of your battery)? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>...So I'm thinking my battery is shot.My battery had been on the Battery Tender over the winter.

Yes

Did testing prove-out your suspicions?

Hmmm, begs the question: "What did the battery tender maintain?" The probability of certain-death (of your battery)? :unsure:
A better alternative to Battery Tender

Battery Optimizer at Bike Effects

New battery installed and all is fine with the bike. Had my first commute to work of the season today. Aside from the traffic, it feels really good to be riding again after a long winter.

I suspect my battery tender is still OK, but I don't think I'll leave it on ALL winter. A couple hours each month I suspect will do the trick.

Don't be so quick to condemn the Battery Tender. Four years isn't an unusually short life for an m-c battery - maybe not average, but not unusual. Still, you're probably right that the Tender doesn't need to stay on fulltime for three months. That's what I do, and have done with my last few bikes with good results. A friend has his cheap-o non-Tender trickle charger plugged into the garage door opener light socket, so the charger is only on for about five minutes twice a day. Works for him, too.

pete