IBA Mile Eater

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I started riding long distance shortly after acquiring an '05 FJR with 8k on the OD, that was in '09. I wanted to try ONE ride called the 100ccc. I was informed

I had to do a SS1k first, so that was done just prior to the 100ccc. Well short of the story- I got hooked. I looked at the 100+ cert. ride list and made a bucket list

and set a 10 year time frame in which to do it. Today my bike sits with over 250k and my list has just 4 rides left on it.

While at a Jax IBA meeting, I listened to Mike K. introduce 4 new levels of Mile Eater awards. I then picked one that suited me (The Platinum Level) The criteria

is a little more strict than just a number of certs you have done. For example; You ride a 50cc and complete a BBG on the way. You could apply for (And receive

2 certificates) BUTT the mile eater program would credit you just one of those certs since the dates were over lapping. To save $ (And Time), I do most of my certs

inside of 10/10ths rides. Therefore… many of my rides could not be credited. To make a long story short… next year I am planning on finishing up my bucket list

(and in doing so) my Platinum Level.

Next years rides include:

June-

An I-95 only BBG to Eastport, ME

A "Sunrise to Sunset" ride from Eastport to LaPush, WA

The "Haul Rd. 1000"

Finish the 10/10ths ride up in Montana (Red Lodge Rendezvous)

July-

"Heaven to Hell" (Pikes Peek to Death Valley) On the return from SWFOG/NAFO

Sept.-

50cc THW

If anyone would like to share these rides, I would appreciate the company.

July-"Heaven to Hell" (Pikes Peek to Death Valley) On the return from SWFOG/NAFO

I admire your plan and the Pikes Peak to Death Valley ride after SW-FOG with you would be a highlight of my motorcycle riding career. Although I'm afraid as a mere mortal on a motorcycle I would hold you back.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
July-"Heaven to Hell" (Pikes Peek to Death Valley) On the return from SWFOG/NAFO
Bring the cooling vest... that's gonna be one hot muthah in DV that time of year!

I'll keep an eye on your dates... like Kevin/Abercrombie said, I most likely won't be able to keep up but might be able to meet you along the way and buy you a cuppa joe or something... B)

Tony, As I'm sure you know, I 95 is deadly dull. But since you're running right past me, let me know the dates in June. I wouldn't mind riding with you again. (I go to Americade every year - first full week in June, otherwise I'm free).

Why not Lubec ME? It is the most easterly point. I was there last year.
Dave
The IBA Certified ride is Eastport, ME to LaPush, WA, Lubec would be much easier though! … Actually it looks as though the eastern side of "Quoddy Head State Park" is east of both of them (?)

I admire your plan and the Pikes Peak to Death Valley ride after SW-FOG with you would be a highlight of my motorcycle riding career. Although I'm afraid as a mere mortal on a motorcycle I would hold you back.
smile.png
I have not studied this ride yet, but I have heard there is a "Gold version" route. This will be a SS1k that I will savor and most likely take my time with pics.

You are invited and I doubt you would hold me up as there is 24 hours to complete it. Usually a SS1k is 15 or so hours of riding (Less out west)

Bring the cooling vest... that's gonna be one hot muthah in DV that time of year!

I'll keep an eye on your dates... like Kevin/Abercrombie said, I most likely won't be able to keep up but might be able to meet you along the way and buy you a cuppa joe or something...
cool.png
No cooling vest, and I think the heat that time of year will capture the "Spirit of the ride" I have ridden with you and doubt very much that you would

have any problems keeping up. Remember… I will be in Cali in September to spend some time!

I'm in for when you go to maine. I'll catch up with you in NJ and finish it with you.
That sounds great! Still trying to figure out timing through the congestion. Looks like hitting DC at 8:30 pm and pushing through the night to clear Boston before

the morning rush (?) 7 and 1/2 hours from DC to Boston doable?

Tony, As I'm sure you know, I 95 is deadly dull. But since you're running right past me, let me know the dates in June. I wouldn't mind riding with you again. (I go to Americade every year - first full week in June, otherwise I'm free).
That's kinda why I picked this route, as I have never been able to bust up the coast without huge delays. IF I get caught up too bad, I may take the longer approach and ride North

on I-81/ I-91 instead.

I think you could probably do DC to Boston in less. You aren't actually entering the cities, gas stops in NJ and CT are right on the slab. It's all about timing. I left Jacksonville at 5am on a sunday. Including a delay for a tire change in NC I was home on the east end of LI by 2230. I wasn't even managing time well at the end.

holy wow. Good for you. I'm a bit jealous of your rides (and how you manage to find the time!).

Forgive the question from a relatively new IBA member but when I read posts from mile eaters like yourself I always start questioning what kind of gear you use (or wear) that makes you comfortable enough to handle all the different weather you encounter. What makes you so successful (and comfortable)?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Steve in Phx" data-cid="1274685" data-time="1449243890"><p>

holy wow. Good for you. I'm a bit jealous of your rides (and how you manage to find the time!).<br />

Forgive the question from a relatively new IBA member but when I read posts from mile eaters like yourself I always start questioning what kind of gear you use (or wear) that makes you comfortable enough to handle all the different weather you encounter. What makes you so successful (and comfortable)?</p></blockquote>

I'm convinced we all have a baseline level of "screws loose." I think that's the one absolutely necessity for LD.

Eta: oops. Sorry for continuing the hijack. Back to topic!

Wow! Congratulations on getting so close to platinum. I'm hoping to reach gold in 2016 (5 rides to go).

Regarding the Heaven to Hell Gold, I did this ride in September 2015. For gold level, you need to go through Independence Pass and Ely, Nevada. That route puts the mileage right at 1040 for the ride. I think it took me 19 hours with the rain and the traffic. Pikes Peak has a gift shop at the top for a starting receipt and there's a ticket machine at the parking area in Badwater Basin (available 24/7).

holy wow. Good for you. I'm a bit jealous of your rides (and how you manage to find the time!).Forgive the question from a relatively new IBA member but when I read posts from mile eaters like yourself I always start questioning what kind of gear you use (or wear) that makes you comfortable enough to handle all the different weather you encounter. What makes you so successful (and comfortable)?
The time (?) I did most of my ride inside 10/10ths rides and spent most of my vacation time riding. (No regrets there)

For equipment (?) I took the advice of many forum members that contributed. I set my bike up by riding and addressing my needs after each ride.

An RDL is the best advice that I could give.

Wow! Congratulations on getting so close to platinum. I'm hoping to reach gold in 2016 (5 rides to go).
Regarding the Heaven to Hell Gold, I did this ride in September 2015. For gold level, you need to go through Independence Pass and Ely, Nevada. That route puts the mileage right at 1040 for the ride. I think it took me 19 hours with the rain and the traffic. Pikes Peak has a gift shop at the top for a starting receipt and there's a ticket machine at the parking area in Badwater Basin (available 24/7).
Thanks for the info! I am going to take my time on this one!

The heaven and hell ride captures my interest very much! That is also on my bucket list, are you leaving straight from SWFOG/NAFO and hitting this, or doing it before? I might try and talk my way into your good graces and allow me to tag along, or should I say behind?

On a side note, I have rode with Tyler and Abercrombie and agree that they could do this ride. The RDL certainly helped me be comfortable on my 50CC, but my first ss1k was done with a stock seat and an airhawk and it was just fine, for the one day. For 'multiple' days a good quality seat is a must.

The heaven and hell ride captures my interest very much! That is also on my bucket list, are you leaving straight from SWFOG/NAFO and hitting this, or doing it before? I might try and talk my way into your good graces and allow me to tag along, or should I say behind?

On a side note, I have rode with Tyler and Abercrombie and agree that they could do this ride. The RDL certainly helped me be comfortable on my 50CC, but my first ss1k was done with a stock seat and an airhawk and it was just fine, for the one day. For 'multiple' days a good quality seat is a must.
I could ride it before OR after NAFO/SWFOG

I am still working on my June ride right now, so the planning is wide open.

It would be great to ride this ride with you and anyone else who wants to ride it.

A friend of mine said it took him around 17 hours to complete, so we would have

some time to kill for pictures and a relaxing pace.

Tony,

I am trying to find a way to ride the 100CCC The Hard Way next year and may it will work out that I do the 50CC THW with you and then double back to New York after a couple hours rest. Would you be interested in attempting that, it is like 4 BBG's.

Greg,

That would be great to ride with you on the 50ccTHW (You know Joe is riding too?) We had planned to actually flower sniff our way down the Cali coastline

and actually visit some friends and meet some peeps we have yet to meet. This ride would be my 3rd ride of the year - so I have not begun planning yet. Are

you riding with Jim's group?

Sounds like we're all going to be criss-crossing the nation about the same time. I am going to attempt the Coast to Coast on US-50 (east to west, 72 hours for Gold) at the end of June, and then vacation out west until Warchild's Battle Front rally later in July.

Sounds like we're all going to be criss-crossing the nation about the same time. I am going to attempt the Coast to Coast on US-50 (east to west, 72 hours for Gold) at the end of June, and then vacation out west until Warchild's Battle Front rally later in July.
Forgive my ignorance, but does US-50 become I-80 in Sacramento?

East coast receipt Ocean City? Heck of a ride!

Forgive my ignorance, but does US-50 become I-80 in Sacramento? East coast receipt Ocean City? Heck of a ride!
Yes, Ocean City to San Francisco. Keeping the pace on the east coast is definitely more challenging than on the west coast. I don't know why, but this is the one CC I've always wanted to ride.

There are several points where US-50 combines with an interstate. The final stretch from Sacramento on I-80 is one of them. There are short sections going through Kansas City and St. Louis. The longest stretch is from Grand Junction, CO to the I-15 juncture, where US-50 joins I-70.