Idaho, Utah and Colorado Friends - Ride Planning Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatAir4Me

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Top of the morning friends!

So I have planned our "Da Big Ride 2023" thru day 12 which will take us to the West Coast Gathering, The Grand Canyon and The Big Five National Parks in Utah and have our first stop in CO at The Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP.

We have 8-10 days left and I am asking for suggestions for;
A Colorado loop that would put us in a position to take in some of Northern Utah (Suggestions welcome here as well) since we will have pretty much covered the Southern Utah area and some can't miss Idaho riding suggestions as well.

I have included a summary snippet of both last years Big Ride as well as a snippet of this years for reference. We will be riding two up and pulling the Bushtec and enjoy camping along our route. Whatcha got for us?

Edited to say the snippets below are not our actual routes but give you an idea. I have each day in GPX and that would be a PIA for all involved. For example it shows last years as 3600 miles and we got in just over 5K...

Thanks!
JP & Mel

DaBigRide2022.png
DaBigRide2023.png

Last edited:
Hey PhatAir4Me,

In 2018, I shared a ride through with buddies through the northwest quadrant of Colorado, and the adjoining region of Utah.

Glad to see you plan on rolling through Grand Junction; in that vicinity, seriously consider hitting the:
  • down to Gunnison Canyon (southeast a ways) including CO Hwy 92 - awesome overlook stretches
  • Colorado National Monument - stunning on a sunny day
  • CO Hwy 65 heading west into Grand Junction - nice canyons and rock walls up against the highway
Otherwise, I'm jealous - have a great trip man.

p.s. - if you're already located in Oregon, it's probably silly of me to ask if you've already ridden this combined north-south stretch of OR-3 + WA-129:

1678848083903.png

I rode that in each direction last August, and then in September, and it is AWESOME twisty and fun.

Honestly your route from Vegas on 95 is boring...real boring.

May I humbly suggest when riding Vegas to Bridgeport, I'd go through Death Valley on 190 to Bishop on up to Bridgeport or if you want to skip the heat of DV take Nev 266 (off 95 above Beatty) through Lida and 168 to Big Pine for lunch. This is a real treat with without any traffic and just gets better past downtown Lida. No services in Lida so fuel up in Beatty.

From Bishop take 6 to Benton where you will take 120 East to Lee Vining. This section of 120 is in my top 5 must ride roads out west, do not miss this. Then north on 395 to Bridgeport. (be sure to ride 120 as fast as you dare but keep the seat belts fastened!) :LOL:

Either way 395 is way, way better then 95 in Nevada.

Last edited:
Sounds like one h**l of a ride. Here are a few suggestions from the multiple trips I've taken over the years.

If going to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison I would suggest taking the road down the east side of the canyon (HWY 92). Of course Ouray, Ridgeway, Creed and Lake City are must see locations while in Colorado. Cottonwood Pass and Independence Pass are also great scenic byways. On your way north check out the front range via HWY 119 through Nederland to Estes Park, cruise through Rocky Mountain National Park then over to Steamboat and that will get you back on track to checkout Utah.

Have fun and ride safe.
Albert

I covered some of these places last year on my partial Route 66 ride. I rode from LA to Kingman (Route 66). Kingman to St George UT via Las Vegas (To visit friends). After a flat tire on the road to Flagstaff, I missed the Grand Canyon and back-tracked to St George to get a new tire fitted. From St George, I rode to Green River, UT via Bryce Canyon (which in my opinion beats the Grand Canyon and Zions). From Green River, I rode to Provo, followed by Boise and thence to Reno, NV, Dublin CA and after that 101 to Monterey and Highway 1 via Morro Bay and back to Los Angeles. 3600 miles. Mainly met up with friends I made when I lived in CA. Great memories.

I covered some of these places last year on my partial Route 66 ride. I rode from LA to Kingman (Route 66). Kingman to St George UT via Las Vegas (To visit friends). After a flat tire on the road to Flagstaff, I missed the Grand Canyon and back-tracked to St George to get a new tire fitted. From St George, I rode to Green River, UT via Bryce Canyon (which in my opinion beats the Grand Canyon and Zions). From Green River, I rode to Provo, followed by Boise and thence to Reno, NV, Dublin CA and after that 101 to Monterey and Highway 1 via Morro Bay and back to Los Angeles. 3600 miles. Mainly met up with friends I made when I lived in CA. Great memories.
That must have been a great experience, those are some great roads, and beautiful scenery!

That must have been a great experience, those are some great roads, and beautiful scenery!
Yes, it was going to be Route 66 to Chicago but I decided that Route 66 is over hyped, I detoured to meet friends in a few places and it was great. Green River was a bust but it was en-route to Provo. I stayed one night in Elko and last week a local radio station had a guy call in and mention that he had worked in the mining industry in Elko and it's a huge employer. People asked if I was worried travelling solo. No way. I met some really nice folks along the way and your highways are great. The only stupid thing I did was detour off a highway to a place called Knolls. The road is unmaintained and being stubborn, I kept going until I could get back on the main highway near Bonneville Salt Flats.

Yes, it was going to be Route 66 to Chicago but I decided that Route 66 is over hyped, I detoured to meet friends in a few places and it was great. Green River was a bust but it was en-route to Provo. I stayed one night in Elko and last week a local radio station had a guy call in and mention that he had worked in the mining industry in Elko and it's a huge employer. People asked if I was worried travelling solo. No way. I met some really nice folks along the way and your highways are great. The only stupid thing I did was detour off a highway to a place called Knolls. The road is unmaintained and being stubborn, I kept going until I could get back on the main highway near Bonneville Salt Flats.
That must have been one desolate road! I ran some power line out that way a few years ago, and there is nothing out there.

Hey PhatAir4Me,

In 2018, I shared a ride through with buddies through the northwest quadrant of Colorado, and the adjoining region of Utah.

Glad to see you plan on rolling through Grand Junction; in that vicinity, seriously consider hitting the:
  • down to Gunnison Canyon (southeast a ways) including CO Hwy 92 - awesome overlook stretches
  • Colorado National Monument - stunning on a sunny day
  • CO Hwy 65 heading west into Grand Junction - nice canyons and rock walls up against the highway
Otherwise, I'm jealous - have a great trip man.

p.s. - if you're already located in Oregon, it's probably silly of me to ask if you've already ridden this combined north-south stretch of OR-3 + WA-129:

View attachment 3770

I rode that in each direction last August, and then in September, and it is AWESOME twisty and fun.

Thanks for the suggestions for Colorado!

Funny you ask about that route! August 12th 2022 was day 1 of our "Da Big Ride" we were running from Bend to Lewiston 485 mi when we got to Elgin amongst some really angry clouds. As we pulled into town the heavens opened up and it started this insane rain/hail storm that immediatly started flooding the streets. We pulled up under a prolific oak tree in front of a historic house and out comes Barbara we will soon come to find out. She insists we pull the bike under her carport and come inside to wait out the storm. I explained that it was a big day for us and that we would take advantage of the delay by getting lunch in us. She recommended a place and we ate slowly glancing out the window and watching the storm retreat in the direction we were headed! We went back to Barbara's and she said she would have washed the windshield on the bike but she knows that people are picky about what they use. "My husband I used to use Pledge" she offers up to which I agreed and told her about 50/50 peroxide both of which we had with us. We bid Barb adieu and hit the road. Well we got 15 miles up the road and it looked like we were going to ride right into the butt hole of the storm when I see a truck coming the other direction doing about 30 MPH with his flashers on and driving with his head stuffed looking through a hole in his windshield I can only assume he kicked out in order to see, then another, then here comes a truck towing a boat, same deal broken windshield but the boat was absoeffinlutely destroyed! Every piece of glass was shattered and the "cabin" canvas was in tatters flapping in the wind. Well chit I start looking for refuge and find a wayside which I deftly went between two rock barriers and rode up under a huge tree. The wallowa river was just across from us and the skeeters were thick! We put on rain gear both to keep us dry but also to protect us from the swarm. We sat there for nearly two hours watching destroyed cars going by on towtrucks, DOT snow plows and numerous State Police going by, of course no cell service. We finally headed out and were in no way prepared for what we found in the town of Wallowa. Every leaf of every tree was on the ground that is for the trees still standing, every West facing window of most places in town were gone, siding on houses destroyed leaving just vapor barrier behind, people were standing in their yards in somber amazement, crews were already plywooding local business windows, it was quite sad. We rode on... as we got to the Joseph Canyon Viewpoint the sun was just setting and we stopped and snapped a couple pics then motored on as the sun went down. About 20 miles up the road Billy Big Buck jumps out of the trees right in front of us at 75-80, I anchor the brakes and perform evasive maneuvers and thankfully he did too right after he paused looking at us long enough for me to cough as my balls hit my throat. Shortly there after it stars to rain, not just visor down a little water aint gonna hurt nobody rain but big alligator tears that left the road in dueling rivers and dislodging rocks from the hills above and depositing them on the road. It would rain like this until we reached the outskirts of Clarkston. I do remember seeing a light in the distance and needing to stop and wring out my gloves and dry the inside of my shield and as I pulled up I see Boggans Oasis on the building, not much of an oasis that night. I tell Mel I read about some rides that mentioned Boggans Oasis. I guess it is far too late for long story short but I told Mel that we MUST get back and ride that road again, in the daylight, without the trailer!
Oh and guess what we caught back up to the storm in Montana and when the winds which they claim were up to 70mph gusts started blowing the bike sideways in five foot swings and I had the bike preloaded into the wind at about 20° angle and Mel started crying in the headset we stopped for the night to save our marriage.

Here are a couple of links to the storm that hit Wallowa, the Governor actually declared a state of emergency in the county...
https://tinyurl.com/2cb2ej6tMUST SEE UTUBE COMPILATION OF THE STORM --->

Here are some more pics...

Attachments

• P8110037.JPG
    P8110037.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • P8110038.JPG
    P8110038.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • P8110041.JPG
    P8110041.JPG
  • P8110048.JPG
    P8110048.JPG
  • P8110073.JPG
    P8110073.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • P8110085.JPG
    P8110085.JPG
    523.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P8110100.JPG
    P8110100.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • P8110105.JPG
    P8110105.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • P8110109.JPG
    P8110109.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • P8110110.JPG
    P8110110.JPG
Last edited:
Honestly your route from Vegas on 95 is boring...real boring.

May I humbly suggest when riding Vegas to Bridgeport, I'd go through Death Valley on 190 to Bishop on up to Bridgeport or if you want to skip the heat of DV take Nev 266 (off 95 above Beatty) through Lida and 168 to Big Pine for lunch. This is a real treat with without any traffic and just gets better past downtown Lida. No services in Lida so fuel up in Beatty.

From Bishop take 6 to Benton where you will take 120 East to Lee Vining. This section of 120 is in my top 5 must ride roads out west, do not miss this. Then north on 395 to Bridgeport. (be sure to ride 120 as fast as you dare but keep the seat belts fastened!) :LOL:

Either way 395 is way, way better then 95 in Nevada.
Hey I was asking about Utah and Colorado - Stay in your lane!

KIDDING! Thanks for the heads up, we did take 95 to avoid the heat in DV which when I looked it showed highs of 110° in Late June... But when someone says ONE OF THE TOP FIVE IN THE WEST I am listening!

So I am actually going to Boulder from Bridgeport so does this look right?

1679154333970.png

Sounds like one h**l of a ride. Here are a few suggestions from the multiple trips I've taken over the years.

If going to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison I would suggest taking the road down the east side of the canyon (HWY 92). Of course Ouray, Ridgeway, Creed and Lake City are must see locations while in Colorado. Cottonwood Pass and Independence Pass are also great scenic byways. On your way north check out the front range via HWY 119 through Nederland to Estes Park, cruise through Rocky Mountain National Park then over to Steamboat and that will get you back on track to checkout Utah.

Have fun and ride safe.
Albert
Me Likey! Taking all the intel and forming a route will post up the results when it is done.
Thanks for taking the time to contribute.
JP

Sounds like a great trip flat tire aside...

Yep our reservation at Gunnison is the last reservation we have and the last we will make so we can adapt in the field for unforeseen circumstances, suggested roads etc....

Well with all your help I have come up with the following Colorado routes!

Not seeing too much in Northern Utah so thinking about going to cut up to Beartooth, Cooke City, Lewiston and down or sumpin but I am tired of staring at the puter...

1679171274900.png
1679171372818.png

1679171463069.png

Hi again PhatAir4Me,

Wow - that is one HAIL of a story (see what I did there?). Buddy and I rolled through that area 1 week before your traumatizing experience. Glad you live to share the tale!