If you couldn't have an FJR what would be the next best thing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrstphrM

ChrstphrM
Reaction score
Seriously, if every FJR on earth suddenly disappeared (clearly part of some evil alien plan to take over our planet). what bike would you choose and why?

I really enjoyed the R1250RT that I rented in Europe for 10 days to ride the Alps. It had an Akropovich pipe and sounded great... going around every switchback it was torquey and throaty!

I would still miss the FJR above 6k rips, but the RT did a great imitation down low. It turns in quicker too.

BTW, the K1600GT rips good too ... and smoother down the highway. Still, they both require more 'wallet'.

I just love my nice, simple, easy to maintain, fun fun fun FJR !!!

1994 Ducati 888 SPO, chip, braided lines, and Termignoni exhaust. And an unlimited supply of tires. That should do it.

Barring that, a 2022 Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX, with hard bags. But it is chain drive (no biggie), and NO center stand. Deal breaker.

It depends on what I chose to do without. Lose the low maintenance costs and exceptional reliability? Go BMW. Lose the sportiness? Go Gold Wing. Lose the comfort and maybe some reliability? Kawasaki H2 SX SE+.

In response to the "next best thing," I would want a 1968-70 Austin Mini Cooper S because I owned a 1967 and the '68 on had roll up windows. Sure it's not a motorcycle, but that thing was a street legal go kart. I was 6'2" and triple dated in that car when I was 18. I'm 70 years old now and those memories still linger.

I would take a hard look at the new Suzuki GSXS-1000 GTA (Canadian Model only I think). All the reviews are very good and it weighs about 140 lbs. lighter with roughly the same horsepower. There doesn't seem to be as much protection but this is a scenario where the FJR doesn't exist....

If money were no object and for a "like for like" *cough* replacement, I'll have to say it would be a new 1250RT.

OTOH and giving up a little in the engine room, my Tenere is sporty-ish, comfortable and has enough luggage capacity to pack for weeks. Since the Tenere is already in the stable it likely gets the expanded duties!

~G

I think the Suzuki GSXS-1000 GT, Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE+ and 2022 Ninja 1000 SX get close to the 1st Gen, but with all the modern bells and whistles except shaft drive and center stand. The Kawasaki H2 SX SE+ is a rocket ship and sets a high bar. Maybe Yamaha has something in the works to replace the FJR. Wish list would include modern electronics like bigger TFT screen, multi axis IMU traction control, good quick shifter, adaptive cruise, connectivity.... And, of course, shaft drive, center stand, great performance, economy and reliability.

Already made the choice. I was struggling for years with back, bottom, and buffeting issues onboard my FJR. Tried risers, a different seat, adjusting my posture, but discovered that the best cure for me was changing the color. My beautiful blue 05 FJR was replaced by this. I miss Old Blue, but no more sore anything, and glad I didn't decide to give up riding all together. Never thought I'd say this, but enjoying the ride trumps what cha ride (at least for me).

Last edited:
Electric. The Lightning Strike, standard model. Fast enough, light enough, cheap enough, aerodynamic, modern, decent range, on-board charger, can use the regular car charging stations, quiet. It's just not easy to vanish, if the Popo can hear you a mile away. Needs no gasoline, no engine oil, no filters. It has no valves, no spark plugs, no clutch, no transmission, and no emissions. Just add tires to suit and power.
https://lightningmotorcycle.com/strike/
-------------------------------------------

"Electric. The Lightning Strike, standard model. Fast enough, light enough, cheap enough, aerodynamic, modern, decent range, on-board charger, can use the regular car charging stations, quiet. It's just not easy to vanish, if the Popo can hear you a mile away. Needs no gasoline, no engine oil, no filters. It has no valves, no spark plugs, no clutch, no transmission, and no emissions. Just add tires to suit and power."

Cripes! (The next two sentences are off-topic, so forgive me). What a crappy, boring internet forum THAT would be...electric motorcycles. Can't debate about oil, spark plugs, exhaust systems, valve clearances, etc.

Back on topic, a nice '79 CBX, please. The non-Euro-spec US version.

FJR is my #1 choice, but there are so many other good options. I would consider riding just about anything from a scooter to a 1K lb. bagger! If all the FJR's suddenly disappeared, which Mc's would be next??!! I would have to get many in an attempt to protect them from future disappearance!

In response to the "next best thing," I would want a 1968-70 Austin Mini Cooper S because I owned a 1967 and the '68 on had roll up windows. Sure it's not a motorcycle, but that thing was a street legal go kart. I was 6'2" and triple dated in that car when I was 18. I'm 70 years old now and those memories still linger.
I know what you mean! I had a green w/white roof - as plain as it could be inside, just like a go cart 😁

Already made the choice. I was struggling for years with back, bottom, and buffeting issues onboard my FJR. Tried risers, a different seat, adjusting my posture, but discovered that the best cure for me was changing the color. My beautiful blue 05 FJR was replaced by this. I miss Old Blue, but no more sore anything, and glad I didn't decide to give up riding all together. Never thought I'd say this, but enjoying the ride trumps what cha ride (at least for me).

Untitled by gary house, on Flickr
And I went the opposite - when my wife decide she couldn't ride anymore, I felt the GW was more bike than I wanted to haul around for just 1. It was an excellent bike and I loved it. The FJR is a perfect replacement, I actually refer to it (jokingly) as a mini-GW. My GW was well traveled over the years with absolutely no issues other than an alternator replacement after the first 10 yrs.
Although I rode that very capable GW like most GW owners would never dare, the FJR definitely has an edge on pushing that limit.
Besides that, the max on the GW was only 122 😉

Electric. The Lightning Strike, standard model. Fast enough, light enough, cheap enough, aerodynamic, modern, decent range, on-board charger, can use the regular car charging stations, quiet. It's just not easy to vanish, if the Popo can hear you a mile away. Needs no gasoline, no engine oil, no filters. It has no valves, no spark plugs, no clutch, no transmission, and no emissions. Just add tires to suit and power.
https://lightningmotorcycle.com/strike/
-------------------------------------------
Or a Unicorn since they appear to have the same availability...

A Chiron

autocontentexp.comwp-contentuploads201602Bugatti-Chiron12-bbe253df67666d89f540d5bc1d1afdb6234b1ce2.jpg

Seriously, if every FJR on earth suddenly disappeared (clearly part of some evil alien plan to take over our planet). what bike would you choose and why?
UGGG what a thought. I have had 11 different bikes in the past 10 years ( of course multiple styles at one time )
The FJR is such a joy. I actually love riding again, not just commuting. I am 57 young and it brings the kid back out. it is one of the smoothest engine transmission combos I have ever been on. it does have a couple small down falls MPOV but its not going anywhere. although I am looking to ad a BMW k1600 gtl or gt to add to the stable. Just cant do the Golding. seating is way to short for my legs..