If you couldn't have an FJR what would be the next best thing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kawasaki GTR1400.
No Brainer. I have both, it's a clone of the FJR :)
I was thinking the same... except
As I looked for a replacement for my ZG1000 back in '09, I test drove both BMW K and RT series bikes, and the Concours 14. Problem was expected lifetime maintenance costs drove me away from all of them (and middle USA service availability on the BMWs) and to the FJR.
I love the sport-tour form factor and expect (require) a vehicle capable of being driven for over a decade with maintenance being fluid/filter changes, brakes and tires (no major engine work every 25K, no silly expensive shocks that only last about that length..etc).
Does the latest GTR1400 still have the high-priced valve maintenance (every 25K miles)? If yes, the Concours would still likely be my, begrudging, choice

Looking forward to a 300+ mile range sport-tour electric bike (in 5+ years... hopefully, with new battery chemistry just coming out of labs now).

The Triumph Trophy SE 1250.
Just as reliable, way more comfy, fully loaded with all the electronics, good on gas, good price. But it is less sporty/peppy than the FJR.
It depends what you're looking for. For me i want a good tourer that is comfy for my wife as a pillion, and that's reasonably priced.

I did have a Yamaha FZ 09 last year. That was a blast! Made me fall in love with the triple engine.

R1250GS.
Just made the switch 6 weeks ago. So they both sit side by side now till the spring.
BMW is a way more comfortable place to sit, eats up road bumps like magic.
Wife has a newer Versys 1000 which I thought was more comfortable than the FJR just didn't want to admit it to her, now the BMW has taken that spot.
Miss the FJR pull in the second half of the rev range! Replaced it with tons of torque in the lower end.
Will not miss the weight of the FJR steering when I need to turn but when no turns I will miss that cruise missile roll on.
BMW attracts more attention than I expected, not so happy about that, and fingers crossed does not dent my wallet too much.

Not sure you can replace the FJR, it is special. More like just wanting to try something else and hope it wasn't the wrong choice.
Like relationships :)

I just saw this video on the 2023 Yamaha Tracer GT+. .
It seems to be a lot of what I would look for in a FJR replacement. Now, if they would make a liter plus version with shaft drive, maybe with a detuned R1 crossplane engine, it would be real interesting. I do think the Tracer would be great for one up riding, although it may feel more flat two up and fully loaded down. My guess, this is Yamaha's FJR replacement.

Last edited:
After two decades and 4 generations of FJR1300s, I made to leap to the 2020 Tracer 900 GT in spring of last year. I am more than happy with my GT, but I also admit the electronic suspension and electronics package are seriously kick-ass on this new '23 model. If I was in the market to downsize from the FJR today, this would be the bike.

My 2020 Tracer 900 GT gets to retain those hefty FJR1300 bags, so I don't even lose any carrying capacity:

ProsserTracer.jpg

I was thinking the same... except
As I looked for a replacement for my ZG1000 back in '09, I test drove both BMW K and RT series bikes, and the Concours 14. Problem was expected lifetime maintenance costs drove me away from all of them (and middle USA service availability on the BMWs) and to the FJR.
I love the sport-tour form factor and expect (require) a vehicle capable of being driven for over a decade with maintenance being fluid/filter changes, brakes and tires (no major engine work every 25K, no silly expensive shocks that only last about that length..etc).
Does the latest GTR1400 still have the high-priced valve maintenance (every 25K miles)? If yes, the Concours would still likely be my, begrudging, choice

Looking forward to a 300+ mile range sport-tour electric bike (in 5+ years... hopefully, with new battery chemistry just coming out of labs now).
Mate to be honest in ALL the bikes I have owned I have NEVER done a valve check. My first FJR had over 100K Kms with no issues.... They have to make money somewhere I guess....
And at 25K Miles, that's a long time for me anyway.....

Either FJR or GTR would be a great choice.

I sold my Tiger 800 last year and have been second guessing myself since. I would jump on a new Tiger 900 in a minute. Love those triples.

At 69 years old and love the FJR. Still have my R1200RT and the Road Glide. IF, and that’s a big IF, I could replace the FJR with something from my past it would have to be my 1979 Suzuki GS1000.

That bike was so smooth and deceptively fast. I really liked that bike so much and the seat was long, wide and flat. You could easily move around on it on long trips and it never gave me butt burn.

No. No switch to move the windshield. No need. Look, the FJR is fast and sexy. But, it is limited to pavement. The S10 won't snap your neck on the on ramp like the FJR will, but it will cruise at 80MPH all day with the right tires and will explore that fire road for hours in comfort and with reliable peace of mind that no other bike will do. In the meantime, it will make twisties more fun than a Super Moto.

If all you want is cross country slab mileage with occasional sweeper excitement. by all means, get the FJR. But, if you occasionally see the off beaten dirt road beckoning..... S10 all the way

At the moment in all likelihood it would be something as similar to the FJR as it could. An earlier post suggested a Kawasaki GTR1400 which I am embarrassed to say I did not know existed. Like the looks of that. New to FJRs so maybe I am still star struck with the mix of touring ability and git up and go. Was looking at all the usual sport touring bikes when I got the FJR. It just happened to be the one that worked out first.

I drove a Street Glide this summer for a few days. Had a bad taste in my mouth from a Softail I road several years ago, but took a gamble. The Street Glide was a much better machine in pretty much every way. Although probably would not pursue getting one if for some odd reason ended up with one I would not be unhappy.

No. No switch to move the windshield. No need. Look, the FJR is fast and sexy. But, it is limited to pavement. The S10 won't snap your neck on the on ramp like the FJR will, but it will cruise at 80MPH all day with the right tires and will explore that fire road for hours in comfort and with reliable peace of mind that no other bike will do. In the meantime, it will make twisties more fun than a Super Moto.

If all you want is cross country slab mileage with occasional sweeper excitement. by all means, get the FJR. But, if you occasionally see the off beaten dirt road beckoning..... S10 all the way
Hope you didn't think I was being a smarta$$ asking about the switch because I genuinely wanted to know. You said the ST does EVERYTHING the FJR did. I checked the Yamaha site and they said it has an adjustable windshield but made no mention of how it adjusted so I asked you.
Sometimes I like getting the windshield out of the way for a better view of the road, other times I want it all the way up. There are a whole lot of things I like about the FJR and the power windshield is near the top of my list.
As for what I would ride if I didn't have an FJR, I believe I have an FZ1 stashed away somewhere around here when the time comes that I need a lighter bike.:)

Last edited:
Interesting, I replaced my previous 2015 FJR with a Tracer two years ago around the start of Covid. Hardly rode it at all, partially because I was not commuting a day or two a week to work (round trip around 55 miles) but also because I just did not like the ride. Many reasons but I ended up selling my 900GT a few months ago and went back to a 2019 FJR. The moment I got back on and started to ride down the street (bought in St Louis and ridden back to the Dallas area) I sort of laughed out loud and how much fun it was to ride. So much better throttle response, better coverage (love an electric windshield) and more comfortable.

Having said all that, I owned a few different Hondas, the original ST1100 and later ST1300s. If Honda had ever kept updating and supporting that model, I might still be on one. They decided the Gold Wing was a more important market segment I guess.

Attachments

• KJQ-ST1300.jpg
    KJQ-ST1300.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Loved my ST1100 too!

120,000 and the rear end went out because the dealer in New Hampshire forgot to grease the splines when I got tires there on a road trip 3 years ago.

Seriously, if every FJR on earth suddenly disappeared (clearly part of some evil alien plan to take over our planet). what bike would you choose and why?
I'd want my old 1992 Kawasaki ZX 11 with the Givi hard bags and the huge Tourmaster tank bag.

I STILL would like an old Radian, just for shtsNggls
I had a college buddy who bought a new Radian back in the mid 80's. The "parts bin bike" was a lot of fun. We would switch when he needed a car. I put a lot of miles on that bike. It was a little squirrely at highway speeds, which were 55 mph back then. I was a stupid kid, so it could have been something as simple as tire pressure or sag settings. My bud was a big boy, maybe 6'4" 240-250 lbs., he looked like he was riding a Grom riding on that Radian. If the bike was set up for him, it wouldn’t work well for me then 70-80 lbs lighter. Fun bike.