Ignacio In the Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]
IBR_logo_dk1.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]
I will be departing for Spartanburg, SC in the early a.m., have a little mini-adventure on the way including a stop in Mt. Ayr, Iowa to research my Pottorff Family History, and readying myself for the start of the Iron Butt Rally at 10:00 a.m. EDT, on Monday, August 24
[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]th.

There are about a dozen other FJR riders I know...most on this forum. So wish us all luck.
[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] The only details I know of where I'm riding are a checkpoint near Chicago, IL; a checkpoint in Los Angeles; and finish line in Spokane, WA 11 days later. See https://www.fjrforum.com/images/ibr09checkpoints.jpg for an overview, but be aware that I and the other 100 or so riders will be riding different and much longer routes…probably about 11,000 miles. I'll be finishing the IBR in Spokane, WA on Friday, September 4th, 7 a.m. PDT. To follow me there are several resources you can watch including blogs, dispatches, and live GPS tracking of me and other riders: [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]My blog. www.mattwatkins.org/ibr. Besides regular commentary and pictures leading up the event….it will include a link to my GPS transmitter and display real-time updates of my position while in the rally. Also, I'll have "audio blog" where I call from my cell phone and the audio is copied to the website within seconds. As I'm planning to be even more competitive this time I doubt I'll have much time to report or upload pictures….so enjoy the audio. The blog also has links to fellow competitors and there's an RSS Feed of my blog for those that know what this is. [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]https://mattwatkins.org/ibr09/?feed=rss2[/SIZE]The "Official" Iron Butt Rally daily dispatch at www.ironbuttrally.com[SIZE=10pt]. Under the 2009 tab..that will be created several days before the ride starts. Written by Tom Austin you will get a well-written summary of how and who is doing what in the rally. Reading dispatches from previous rallies also gives one context for this special event.[/SIZE]A special GPS tracking website of those riders that signed up at https://jasonjonas.org/spot/locationViewer.do?id=11. [SIZE=10pt] I'll be the "mcw" breadcrumbs and it will only be active during the actual rally.[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]A video clip of the 2007 IBR I rode. It gives you a sense of the scale and adventure of this ride. [/SIZE]
My primary goal remains essentially the same for this rally as my successful 2007 ride: "Finish Safely….To Finish Well" Looking forward to the journey and hope you enjoy watching.

Ig

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Matt. Ride smarter, and harder. Like the wind. Not like SkooterG.

Watch out for porcupines.

Heading out the morning at 0600 from Ranchco Cucamonga CA for Spartanburg SC and THE motorcycling adventure of my lifetime, an fortunate opportunity to ride in the coveted Iron Butt Rally. I may be making short status reports as the rally unfolds but nothing very elegant or professionally created. I am just a simple, retired "FJR Vintage Rider", hoping to do as Matt said, "Ride Safely and Finish Well".

More later,