Ignacio In the Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]I've been talking about it with great excitement for over two years....and now the event is about to happen......[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I'm about to ride in the Iron Butt Rally![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]I'm departing for St. Louis on August 14th and will actually begin riding on Monday, August 21st, at 10 a.m. local time CDT. The finish at 10 a.m. on Friday, August 31st. It's an 11 day vacation for me that I'm eager to go look for America.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Most have heard me talk about it......extensively. For those that that haven't...the basic idea is it's a bit like a scavenger hunt and I'll be competing with about 100 others (see explanation towards end of e-mail). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Most important is that there will be a variety of information resources to keep an eye on what I'm up to. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Please understand I probably won't be able to return e-mails, posts, cell phone calls, etc. during the ride. I'll be a bit focused on things like routing and riding, but assured I [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]have four simple goals.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Finish![/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Finish Safely![/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Finish Without Having to Talk To Johnny Law![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]....and if I accomplish the first three....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Finish Well![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Enjoy watching the ride![/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]Matt[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]----------------------------------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]Resources to Keep Up with Matt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]The Iron Butt Rally Website - https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2007.cfm[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]This is the official website and will give a great overview of the event through "daily dispatches" from the official "scribe". This site is a must read and will truly give you a forest-for-the-trees perspective of the whole event. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]My Personal Blog - www.mattwatkins.org/ibr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Hopefully, I'll be able to have time to do the occasional update and even download a picture or two, but even if I don't I've enabled several friends and family members to post on my behalf. You also will have the ability to post comments if you want. ...again...no guarantee I'll respond, but I'm hoping to have a bit of time each day to check in.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]There are also some links to my fellow competitors that may be updating their blogs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Star-Traxx - www.star-traxx.com[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Username:
public

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]Password:
public

[SIZE=10pt][/size]This is cool technology! I'm planning to partner in the rally with Doug Chapman. He is an IBR veteran, nice guy, have ridden together some before, and has this wonderful piece of technology that actually transmits GPS position periodically and displays it on a map. This means you can tell where we are in North America updated approximately every hour that we're riding. Combine this with the the "rally packs" they end up publishing online shortly after each checkpoint and you could possibly figure out where we're headed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]It's also likely a combined route for this rally will appear. See https://rally.star-traxx.com/ for a list of rallies that will likely have the 2007 Iron Butt with this information "aggregated" together. If so, the bike with 59435220 in the URL will be us.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Friends and Family[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Besides these resources I will likely be keeping in contact with Dale "Warchild" Wilson (IBR veteran, IBR technical lead, mentor, and work colleague), and John Rider (work colleague). I'm counting on them to update my blog if I tell them some detail over the phone. My family, Clark Watkins and Kris Watkins, will be driving out for the finish of the event...so will probably be the first to see on the flip side.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Countdown to The Rally Start[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]https://www.timeanddate.com/counters/custom...ec=0&p0=605[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]Information About the Iron Butt Rally[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]The Iron Butt Rally Concept - https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/default.cfm[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The idea of "Bagging a Bonus" - The basic part of the rally is to ride to assigned checkpoints around North America within specified time windows, but the meat of the rally is visiting places or "bonus" locations to accumulate as many points as possible. But, the rally master gives you a packet of possible "bonii" (plural of bonus) that is like a smorgasbord. In this metaphor it's impossible to eat everything.....without becoming very, very sick.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The trick is to figure out which combination of dozens of bonii net the largest amount of points within the time window allowed. Typically, one gets this packet at each "leg" of the rally and tries to locate everything on a map and/or laptop computer with a mapping program like Microsoft Streets and Trips. You figure out how much time you have, how much distance you can travel, which bonii you can snag within the time, strategy for that particular leg, etc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Again, it's about time and distance management while reacting to the unknowns of weather, traffic, construction, road conditions, and many other variables.....realizing that many of the places I have never, ever been to before. While a good GPS with XM radio might help it's no wonder that the front-runner in this sport, Jim Owen, is an airline pilot by day.[/SIZE]

Miscou Island 17,745 points Available daylight hours

New Brunswick, Canada

Take a picture of the Miscou Island Lighthouse

There are many ways to get to Miscou Island, this is one possible route: starting in Maine, take I-95 north, crossing the border into Canada and continuing on NB-95. Turn right on TC-2 and ride approximately 67 miles. Turn left onto NB-8 and continue for approximately 110 miles to NB-11. Go north toward Caraquet, approximately 59 miles and turn right onto NB-113. Stay on NB-113 all the way to the extreme northeastern point of the island. The lighthouse is at the end of the road.

Key West, Florida 14,001 points Available daylight hours

Take a picture of the Key West lighthouse

Key West is located in extreme southern Florida at the end of US-1. Take US-1 south into the town of Key West. At the US-1/A1A split, bear RIGHT staying on US-1. Continue South on US-1 (which is also known as Truman Ave.) past mile marker 1. Cross the main party/tourist street of Duval Street to the next intersection south which is the intersection of Truman Ave. and Whitehead Street. The lighthouse is approx. 150 feet to the right on Whitehead St. and will be at approximately the 2 o'clock position as you are sitting at the traffic light at Truman and Whitehead. You do NOT have to go on the grounds and pay an entry fee to take a picture of the lighthouse.

[SIZE=10pt]Riders to Watch - There are a few folks that are seasoned veterans and definitely worth watching.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/size][/SIZE]
2007 Rules - https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2007/IBR_07_Rules.doc

You made it this far in the e-mail and still want to know more. Enjoy the Word Document that I have to read and understand. If you understand it all....be sure and explain it to me sometime. ;)

[SIZE=18pt]Gratuitous Inspired Song Lyric[/SIZE]

Kathy, I said as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
Michigan seems like a dream to me now

It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw

I've gone to look for America

Simon and Garfunkel

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to do my best to follow along on this, I just love it when people go out an abuse themselfs..........On Purpose. :clapping:

Yes, I'm one sick puppy. :grin:

I'm going to do my best to follow along on this, I just love it when people go out an abuse themselfs..........On Purpose. :clapping:
Since you're the sadist in this twisted relationship.....I can tell you I already paid and will pay even more of a substantial sum of money for this pain.

...that oughta keep you goin' for a bit. :butcher:

Thanks for all of the info Iggy. I'll be watching every day to see what's going on. I'll have a beer for your every day, too.

:D

Kathy, I said as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
Michigan seems like a dream to me now

Simon and Garfunkel
What the hell do you know about that song. You weren't even born yet. Excellent choice however. One of my personal S & G favorites.

And do be careful, good luck, and all of that stuff.

Chester

Oh boy, it's getting close to the start. Really enjoy readng the daily rally reports on the IB site, and now I can track you too. Stopped at the Iron Butt site on Guru Rd. last week, sure would be nice to see a Matt or Doug on the winners list. Godspeed and good luck!

What the hell do you know about that song. You weren't even born yet. Excellent choice however. One of my personal S & G favorites.
I was going to correct you, but it seems Bookends was in April 1698...so I missed being born by 2 months. Damn.

Regardless, great music reaches out to multiple generations...and I figure I do all this riding now because one day I'll be sharing a park bench quiety.....

Matt,

I'm envious. Good luck and ride safe. I'll follow along on the Internet. One day, when there is a PBR (pansy butt rally), you can follow my travels.

Jason

Since you're the sadist in this twisted relationship.....I can tell you I already paid and will pay even more of a substantial sum of money for this pain.

...that oughta keep you goin' for a bit. :butcher:
Self abuse for 11 days and 11,000 miles or better, Great..........................paying big bucks to do it. Priclesss!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Matt and all you riders be safe. anyone who even finnishes an IBR is a winner, Big Time.

Damn. Good luck with that and be safe.

I wish I had the time for something like this (and if my shoulder could handle it). But alas, I will live through you.

:clapping:

I went by Star-traxx on my way to The Beast in The East and among other things had a chat with Ron, the owner. He is planning to tweak the https://rally.star-traxx.com page so that the user number is not shown in the URL. That will make it a little harder for support staff to feed info to other riders.

See ya in St Louis!

[SIZE=10pt]It's also likely a combined route for this rally will appear. See https://rally.star-traxx.com/ for a list of rallies that will likely have the 2007 Iron Butt with this information "aggregated" together. If so, the bike with 59435220 in the URL will be us.[/SIZE]

Good luck Iggy, hope you're better at rallying than you are at workin that size thing in yer post there...... :p

Really, go loudly into the night, with the wind at your back.

Iggy, it looks like you have the potential for a supersize audience. Make us all proud and kick flyboys ass. FJR's rule..... :yahoo:

My advice: don't fuck up. :huh:

:D

Fortunately, I don't have to be on the "abused" end of things.... as IBR Staff, I get to dish out the abuse!

I am sure Iggy and other FJR pilots will have a good time*....

[SIZE=8pt]* except for maybe Day 8 or 9..... when they suffer a punctured tire.... and then determine all the glue has dried up in the tire repair kit.... not that it matters, because their flashlight batteries have drained, and they can't see the tire puncture to repair it anyway....... because it's pretty dark at 2:30 AM near that 7500' summit where the puncture occurred..... right about the time it starts to rain and sleet..... good times, oh yeah.....[/SIZE]

Good luck man, look forward to shaking your hand in St. Louis, and buying you a beverage, you and SkooterG.

-MD

Kathy, I said as we boarded a Greyhound in PittsburghMichigan seems like a dream to me now

Simon and Garfunkel
Good luck (another phrase for good preparation!). If I were picking a song, though I'd probably go w/Making Memories or Fly By Night, by Rush, but it's hard to go wrong with S&G. See you on the other side.

James