ignation fail

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrr

Reaction score
Well, I guess I get to join those of you who have ignition problems with gen II FJRs. Today was the second time in about a year that I attempted to start my 2010 FJR and got zero response when I turned the key. The first time it happened I giggled, slapped, and cussed until the bike finally started. This time I'm still working on a solution. I did find the article posted by "skooterG" in 2008 which I'm still attempting to digest on Ignition switch failures. I was hoping to find a "YouTube" by someone who has taken an ignition switch apart. I do believe my problem is a dirty connection or maybe a broken sodder connection. Anyway, it anyone can point me in the right direction please feel free to do so. Thanks.

Well, I guess I get to join those of you who have ignition problems with gen II FJRs.
Not many in later Gen II although earlier Gen II had a recall for a faulty ignition switch.

Are you starting in gear (clutch pulled, centerstand up)? Or are you starting in neutral?
You may want to check out your clutch switch and sidestand switch via the diagnostic function.
Are you getting needle "sweep" and dash lighting up when you cycle the key?

You should also verify that battery is good and connections are clean and tight. This is the number one cause of a no start.

Other thing I have heard reports on is the starter solenoid/relay failing - not common but a few. Note: This would not prevent the dash lighting up but would prevent starting.

2010?

You mean zero response as no lights and no nothing whatsoever? If so, it could be battery. It could be battery connection too.

Or do you mean you turn the switch, the bike goes through the power up sequence, dash lights, and when you hit the starter button nothing happens? If so, there's a list of things pinned in the Tecnical section I'd look through for a 2010 before an ignition switch.

Well, I guess I get to join those of you who have ignition problems with gen II FJRs. Today was the second time in about a year that I attempted to start my 2010 FJR and got zero response when I turned the key. The first time it happened I giggled, slapped, and cussed until the bike finally started. This time I'm still working on a solution. I did find the article posted by "skooterG" in 2008 which I'm still attempting to digest on Ignition switch failures. I was hoping to find a "YouTube" by someone who has taken an ignition switch apart. I do believe my problem is a dirty connection or maybe a broken sodder connection. Anyway, it anyone can point me in the right direction please feel free to do so. Thanks.
Jrr
Here is a write up concerning the ignition switch on the 2006 FJR.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/the-recall-ignition-switch-whats-new-about-it.114602/#post-547493
Enjoy.

Brodie
🙂

I've had one apart a couple of times on Pandora -- an 03 Gen 1.The first time the switch failed, I was hundreds of miles from home on a weekend after all Yamaha dealers were closed. I had one or two "warning shots" -- turned the key on, nothing happened, turned it off and on again and the bike came to life. But after a couple of those, it failed completely. This was sometime in 2005, IIRC.

Step 1 is getting the damn thing out, which is a problem because they used special security screws that are torqued until the hex head snaps off on installation, leaving a smooth rounded top. I used a borrowed dremel tool to cut some slots in the remaining bit of the heads so I could wind them out with a screwdriver.

There are two sets of contacts, one for the ECU (IIRC) and the second for the rest of the bike. The second was heavily pitted from arcing. I cleaned it up and swapped the contacts around so the undamaged contacts carried the heavier load. When I got home, I applied Kopr-Shield to the contacts to prevent future arcing. I reinstalled with regular machine screws to permit future service.

That lasted many years, but eventually I started having the "warning shots" on another trip in 2021. I took it apart and found the same problem developing again. By now, Yamaha had redesigned the unit and I bought one of the new ones -- part number 90891-30058. As shown in the article linked above, the new switch has more contacts to distribute the load. It came with two new security screws with instructions to drill out the old ones. I threw those away. It also came with two new keys. I swapped my old cylinder in and threw away the new keys and cylinder too.

But sorry, no You-tube of my adventures.

You might want to look at the molex plug where the ignition switch plugs into the wiring harness. See if there is corrosion in the plug.

Thanks to those who replied. I have checked the battery and it is good. There is just no power of any kind getting through. Zero response. I will follow up with the other suggestions and hopefully I can fix this thing myself. I don't even want to think about how much Yamaha would charge to do the work.