Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put Brodie's relay in last weekend. (even though I've been sitting on it for six months)

Waited 'till I got my new ignition switch, then did both.

Everything worked out good, but drilling out the security bolts was a PITA.

Even checked out the grounding shunts, looked OK

Good product Brodie, Thanks.

I would like to buy two of your harnesses. Could you let me know how?

Friends,
I am back in town now, PM's will be sent to the first 30 people on the list tonight (wed.). I will start shipping on friday.

Da List

Thanks for your patience.

Brodie

I would like to buy two of your harnesses. Could you let me know how?
PM sent.

Brodie Mr. Brodie, in case you are still able to provide your ignition relay harness, I'd really appreciate it. I have a paypal account I use occasionally with E-bay. My forum handle is JeffJR. If you've used up all of your supplies, please give me a shout back, and I'll try to assemble one myself. I've not had much luck with parts from local suppliers, though, so you represent my best option for now. Congrats on your great contribution here and thanks very much!

JeffJR

I have components for 2 more Ignition Relay Harnesses. I sold my last built unit several months back. You are giving me a challenge with my left arm in a cast, but I think my right hand is strong enough to handle the crimping tools. It may take a few days to get them built, but I'm working on them.

Thanks for getting me off my butt, I'm going stir crazy around here. :fool: Being cursed watching daytime television just doesn't cut it with me. I will send you a PM when one is ready for you.

Brodie

Thanks for getting me off my butt, I'm going stir crazy around here. :fool: Being cursed watching daytime television just doesn't cut it with me. I will send you a PM when one is ready for you.
Brodie
Dude....there's ALWAYS masturbation!

But if his nuts would damage a tank like that.. :blink: :blink: he might need

both hands..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

B

Brodie, let me know if you need help with this order???!!!

Jeff

It took a bit of doing with 1 1/2 hands, but I got one built for you.

PM sent

:)

Brodie

<snip>Mr. Brodie, in case you are still able to provide your ignition relay harness, I'd really appreciate it. I have a paypal account I use occasionally with E-bay. My forum handle is JeffJR. If you've used up all of your supplies, please give me a shout back, and I'll try to assemble one myself. I've not had much luck with parts from local suppliers, though, so you represent my best option for now. Congrats on your great contribution here and thanks very much!

Hey gang I have been off the map for a while....I road the piss out of my bike this last 12 months...17k...... NY to Canada to CO. Lived there then back to NY going the southern route...going as far as FL. Now NY down to MS where I am hold up.....Thanx to my Co making 2 plus billion but slashing 10% of the work force... A pox on them. Because of all this.... I was forced to have a few months off to smell the roses.... yes out of work but I did it from my FJR as I tooled across America. Now I live in the greatest place.... MS.....that part is a little attempt at humor! Its not the most exciting state but its work.... Ok now to my question. If I had my Ign recall done....I did... why do I need to install or need to care about a Ign Harness? I looked at many of the post and I just don"t see what the Ign harness is doing for me. I want thank everyone who contributes to help make this one of the best Cycle forums on the net. It has helped me make my 06a the best bike I have ever owned.
SANY0463.jpg

Ok now to my question. If I had my Ign recall done....I did... why do I need to install or need to care about a Ign Harness? I looked at many of the post and I just don"t see what the Ign harness is doing for me.
The problem:

Yamaha design engineers have routed all of the bike's electrical current to pass through the ignition switch, up on the top triple tree (out in the environment) which only has one measly contact inside it passing that buttload of electric current. When brand new, and the contact is still pristine, it is adequate (barely). But as the bike (and contact) ages, corrosion sets in and the contact resistance increases. This causes heating which results in increased corrosion, etc, etc, and eventual switch meltdown failure.

Yamaha's solution:

Double the number of contacts in the same crappy switch.

The problem with the solution:

It will only extend the time until the same failure.

The real solution:

Get all that damn current out of the ignition switch into a set of contacts more suitable for the amount of current needing to be controlled. One way to make contacts more suitable is to place them in a controlled environment, such as the inside of a relay enclosure, so that the contacts remain in good condition indefinitely.

Way to achieve the real solution:

Brodie relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Fred,

You make a great salesman.
;)
fjrpro

You have a 2nd gen. bike with the recall switch installed. I have yet to hear of a recall switch failure. Yamaha's solution may indeed be good enough. A lot of people bought my Ignition Relay Harness prior to the recall yet opted to keep it in place when the new switch came out. As can be expected demand has dropped since the recall, mostly 1st Gen. owners have been buying them now. Please go HERE to see exactly how the recall switch has been improved. With that knowledge you will be able to make an informed decision on whether or not to obtain one.

The one thing you should know about your 2nd gen. bike is it's little ticking time bomb called grounding spyders. It's the same thermal runaway situation that plagued the original ignition switches. In this case the ground path back to battery negative terminal is carried through a series of collection points daisy chained together until the last one is carrying current near it's max rated load. These "collection points", lovingly referred to as Spyders, are nothing more than half a connector with a 6 tined shorting bar inserted and capped.

This is what happens when they overheat...

Burnt.jpg

It's not a pretty sight.

Both Art (Road Runner here on the FJRForum) and I have plug and play solutions for this problem. Others have come up with alternative methods for addressing it. The consensus is if you do nothing, you run the risk of having one of these spyders burn out and strand you several thousand/hundred miles from home. Go HERE and HERE to study up on it.

We don't want to scare you away from riding your bike. Yamaha built a great machine, it just has a few weak points that need to be addressed.

Hope this helps.

:)

Brodie

Thanks guys for a great explanation.....I see the light now. I did notice the thread on power grounding and I will be reading my wire prints tonight. I will be checking the grounding points as well. Sucks...... cause I just had the front cowl and all the plastic off..... to fix the damn rubber windscreen arm boot thingy. The glue was shot and the rubber boots on the windscreen arms were sagging. I wish I noticed the thread about the grounds while she was stripped. Thank you both for the head's up.

Brodie,

Just to say I have received and installed the IS Relay. As others have already said, beautifully made and absolutely no problem to fit. With an '09 bike the OEM switch may have outlasted me but..............

Special thanks for the included goodies! I haven't got around to fitting the Spider Fix harness yet but as I have already got Arts harness installed I guess there's no rush.

My one recommendation is to use ACF-50 https://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm liberally. Can't say enough good things about this product.

Thanks again :clapping:

Don

Sorry wrong thread. I'm interested the the Grounding Harness

I am interested on one....

Thanks,

Richard

This needs to be a STICKY so slack asses like me can find it with out having to Google it ! ! !

This is GREAT info for all FJ riders and especially those of us to cheap to pay someone else to work on our bikes.

Pin it, yea that's it ! ! !

Thanks Brodie ! ! !

oldgun

Thank you for the kind words, however since Yamaha came out with their recall switch this has become a "non issue" for 2nd Gen. owners. If you are a 1st Gen. owner that desires to update the ignition switch, I have given the information at the beginning of this thread to enable to build your own. I sold my last copy back in September and will not be making any more.

Take care.

smile.gif

Brodie