Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the VIN tag today and did not find a dot or punch mark.
I ran a VIN # check with Yamaha and it shows 5 recalls on my FJR with 4 having been completed to date.
The outstanding recall is Bulletin # M2011-003R with a Title of Wire Harness Assy.
There is a completed recall with Bulletin # M2009-002R with a Title of Main Switch.

Another observation that I forgot to mention is the gas cap is not locking and looks to be an after market item.
I am thinking that this might have something to do with the strange key issue and have attached a photo of the gas cap.

My all means please share your comments / experience with me on this issue.
Definitely an aftermarket gas cap. If you want a locking gas cap, you can probably find a used OEM cap on ebay (and then figure out how to get it rekeyed to match what you have). I have done bag locks but never an ignition, gas cap or seat release.

I checked the VIN tag today and did not find a dot or punch mark.
I ran a VIN # check with Yamaha and it shows 5 recalls on my FJR with 4 having been completed to date.
The outstanding recall is Bulletin # M2011-003R with a Title of Wire Harness Assy.
As I understand it, two of the recalls are either/or: the extra ground is added if the harness connector is OK, the harness is replaced with the updated one that includes improved ground connection if the connector shows signs of heat damage.

Maybe yours had the ground done and therefore didn't need the harness assy?

I called Yamaha and their records on my bike were checked using the VIN #
Their records are showing that the Wire Harness recall was performed as part of the ignition
switch recall work and that my FJR is up to date on all recalls.

Many thanks to all who pitched in to assist with this question !!