Ignition (I know) Its posted, this is after the warranty fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyz

Reaction score
Ignition will not turn on. Key turn gets neutral lignt on dash, blinkers work, brakes work. Power to the red ignition switch. No start. Is this another ignition issue or something else? Checked all fuses including main. ABS was blown, replaced and still no ignition.

Please help, trip on friday and its either get this working or take to the dealer. Thsnks much.

Apply the KISS method!! Check your safety switches. Sounds like the kill switch or trying to start in gear and it thinks the kickstand is down.

I thought of that as well. Did all my work on the center stand. So I took it back down, kickstand up and back into nutural. NO go.. I have been racking my brain on what this could be. Seems like it should some switch, relay, fuse????

Yup windshield goes up/down. What to you mean the other side of the ignition and the power to the computer, where are the locations of these? Onfortunately I dont have shop manual othere than the owners manual. Are there other fuses to the ones on the right side under panel by the battery?

All points out that the ignition switch is good. Does the gas pump run (when switch turned on a wiring sound then shuts off)? If yes the clutch switch, kickstand switch or on/off switch on right handlebar. I would have to get a hold of wiring diagram to get the color codes on wires to help figure it out.

Thanks for the feedback. No the fuel pump doesnt run when I turn on the red switch. The funny thing is I have heard a very short wining like it tries to kick on but doesnt. I only heard this about two times though. I also pulled appart the on/off switch and it checks out. I have not looked at the kick stand or the clutch switch yet.

Do you think it could be the fuel pump? Does it have fuse or relay?

It can't be the clutch switch or the side-stand switch otherwise it would still start in neutral.

Can't be the neutral switch because that wouldn't stop the fuel pump from running at key on.

It either has to be the kill switch is always open or (much more likely) the second set of contacts in the ignition switch.

There are two sets of contacts in all FJR ignition switches. The big ones (thicker, red and brown wires) supply switched power to most of the bike. The second contacts (thinner white/blue and blue/black wires in your bike) are in the starting circuit cutoff relay, which is what the neutral switch and kill switch feeds to enable/disable the starter motor and also provides the signal to tell the ECU to turn on the fuel pump.

I'd bet that is where your problem is.

Yep-like Fred sed-prolly small contacts in ignition switch.. Did you get a fault code 19..[no power to ECU?]. If the starter spins it's not the sidestand-neutral-clutch switch..Starter relay gets power from the large contacts. Shoot contact cleaner down the key hole and up the weep hole under the switch..[turn the bars to the left and cough, no wait, use a mirror to find it] and cycle the switch off and on repeatedly and see if the problem goes away. This seems to be a common problem-my '06 did it to me yesterday at the dealer's when getting an inspection...the "tech's" face went blank when he saw the no start problem..After a few switch cycles she started and has been fine.The bike sat in the rain on the beach at Atlantic City for 4 days and prolly developed enough corrosion on the contacts to cause the problem-the salt air turned the rotors brown..