Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudewado

Reaction score
I have an '03 with a broken key in the switch. I have kind of buggered it up trying to get the key out.

(Long story)

I haven't tried pulling it yet to see if I can fix it, but I have priced a new switch at $160-220.

On E-Bay, there are some used sets that include the switch, key, and gas cap for $99-$199.

Given the history of switch failures, I am hesitant to buy used.

There are, however, some new Gen.2 switches for about $100.

Anyone know if Gen.2 switches will fit a Gen.1?

Can't help with the G1/G2 interchangeablity question, but I've successfully removed a broken key from a deadbolt using a short length of guitar wire with a hook bent at the business end.

The guitar wire is slim and flexible enough to manouver between the body of the key shaft and the slot, yet strong enough to maintain the hook in the end to 'grab' the key.

Moot if the lock is really buggered :dribble:

The electrical contacts are significantly different between Gen I and Gen II.

The ignition switch is made of two parts, the top half is the mechanical key part and the bottom half is the electrical part. It may be possible to graft the top Gen II mechanical part onto the bottom Gen I electrical part.

If you do get a new Gen I ignition switch it is possible to change the tumblers and rekey it to match your current key (like the key half that is stuck in the ignition right now). The other choice is to have a key blank cut with one side to match your new ignition switch and the other side cut to match your original key. Put the key in the ignition switch one way, then turn the key 180° for all the other locks on your bike.

Thanks, guys.

I'm out of town and haven't worked on removing the broken key since I was stuck in Woodland, WA.

The guitar string idea sounds promising, since that sucker is stuck good.

But, even if I get it out, the switch is looking pretty ragged.

Thanks for letting me know the difference, ION. I was hoping it would be a direct replacement, or at least close enough.

I'll keep looking for a new Gen.1 on E-Bay.