I'll say one thing for my front tire - it doesn't have a flat spot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raitchison

Reaction score
When I got my bike in July it had a Dunlop D220 front tire that still had quite a bit of treadlife left, I know the original owner did a lot of LD riding because of the pronounced flat spot on the rear tire, though the front was pretty round.

10155280_50a560dc5b.jpg

Fast forward ~6 months and 3875 miles later and the tires are done, definitely no flat spotting here:

10154945_67da6ca6d0_b.jpg

10154947_af89470f01_b.jpg

It's hard to tell in the pictures but there's actually a slight bulge in the center of the tire, it's definitely enough to notice the transition when leaning into a turn (which I do from time to time ;) )

I suspect if you are riding many hundreds of miles of slab on a regular basis these tires might be great. Needless to say I won't be getting another one to replace it. (Getting PR2 to match the rear I put on last year)

Just looking at the wear on your front tire, I couldn't imagine spending that much time in the curves. About the only curves we've got around here are making a turn from one long straight road onto another. However, I can't complain about the weather this time of year. I'll wait till late May and then start my moaning and groaning.

Gary

darksider #44

I think Skooter will be proud. Or he may want you to send him that tire so he can wear out the middle...No telling with that guy.

The D220 would make a TERRIBLE long distance tire. But they are discontinued and haven't been available for a couple years now. Back then, they were my favorite tire for 'sticky' and handling but life was poor.

I see you have used up yours fairly well. :) Me thinks you will appreciate the improvement in handling and ride when you spoon on a new tire.

I've never had a front tire show a flat down the center, only the rear. The front will triangulate (did i spell that right?) like your is showing. I ran D220s on my Honda ST 1100, and really liked them then, I run the Metzler Interact now and like them for 2 up riding, loaded. The bike, not me! :rolleyes:

When I got my bike in July it had a Dunlop D220 front tire that still had quite a bit of treadlife left, I know the original owner did a lot of LD riding because of the pronounced flat spot on the rear tire, though the front was pretty round.

Fast forward ~6 months and 3875 miles later and the tires are done, definitely no flat spotting here:

It's hard to tell in the pictures but there's actually a slight bulge in the center of the tire, it's definitely enough to notice the transition when leaning into a turn (which I do from time to time ;) )

I suspect if you are riding many hundreds of miles of slab on a regular basis these tires might be great. Needless to say I won't be getting another one to replace it. (Getting PR2 to match the rear I put on last year)
Where do you ride? and how much for a plane ticket and shipping for my bike? :)

Dennis

I've seen tires wear like that. What was your front tire pressure and the typical air temperature when you were putting on the 3.8k miles?

Heh this was (pretty much) my ride yesterday:

10155315_357d07ba7d_o.jpg

Temps were low 60s to low 70s the entire ride.

I'm honestly not convinced it's possible for there to be a better place to live as a motorcyclist.

I've seen tires wear like that. What was your front tire pressure and the typical air temperature when you were putting on the 3.8k miles?
Probably about half those miles I was at 38-39 and the other half at 41 (Started at 38, switched to 41, then went back to 39 when I noticed the abnormal wear pattern (not sure if it helped)

As for temps I'd say for about 2/3 of those miles average of 85 and 1/3 average of 70. I've seen temps range from mid 50s to low 90s on the same ride. During the summer when I put the majority of those miles on temps ranged from about 75 to about 105 on the same ride.

Heh this was (pretty much) my ride yesterday:

10155315_357d07ba7d_o.jpg

Temps were low 60s to low 70s the entire ride.

I'm honestly not convinced it's possible for there to be a better place to live as a motorcyclist.
North GA is not too bad. 65 and sunny today. 30 minutes to tight twisties. 1.5 hours to the Dragon's Tail, the Blue Ridge Pkwy and more. Nice, clean roads and not many cops. Bliss!

Last edited by a moderator: