I'm a dumbass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
For the second freaking time!

Forgot to tape inside of frame hole when installing CCT center bolt.

Now both the 2006 and 2013 have CCT bolt and washer floating around in the frame somewhere.

DUH!

Here's your sign
smile.png

I may be a dumbass too. I just the left side fairing undone today for coolant change, and it's never smooth and easy. Maybe it's just me...

Misery loves company, my friend. In no particular order of "dumbassness":

1. For almost a year, one of my bike keys rode on top of the foil engine to fuel tank heat shield, where it ended up after I missed the ignition switch with the key one day. (ALYWAYS carry a spare key with you). At the next valve check, it was sitting there waiting for me patiently.

2. One of my T/B sync nipples now contains a plug that was used to protect my manometer gages in storage because the plug that comes on the bike got sucked into the abyss.

3. Because I cannot control my stupidity, I now contain a full compliment of OEM fasteners that can be used to assemble the plastics, dash panels, etc. This includes metal fasteners (both shiney ones and black ones), and plastic fasteners (push pins, JIS quarter turns, clear washers, etc.). I have many of each, so if any of you find yourself on the road and in need, by all means please stop by.

4. And last but certainly not least, now as a matter of practice WITHOUT exception, Pants torques (with a torque wrench) EVERY single mechanical fastener when working on his motorcycle. Every time. No exceptions. Hopefully, there will be no more pumpkin drain plug incidents - that was an oldie, but a goodie....

(sigh).....

Last edited by a moderator:
For the second freaking time!

Now both the 2006 and 2013 have CCT bolt and washer floating around in the frame somewhere.

DUH!
I resemble this statement too. I was able to use a flexible magnet and a pick to get it out both times.

Narrow escape for me. I changed the oil the other day. All went well. Started it up to check for leaks. None noted, all cool. Shut down the bike, started to go back inside and happened to glance down and noted the open filler hole, sans its cap, which was sitting over on the very cluttered bench.
blush.png

I dropped the key for my Concourse into the darkness while getting ready to get off the ferry boat in Wa. No extra key"dumbass" and it was low tide so I had to get help to push the damn thing up the ramp to the parking lot. Did have some tools so two hours later I was up and running again. First stop was the lock shop.

I'm somewhat sure I've topped that, countless times. Fortunately, the worsening CRS that causes most of the issues allows me to forget the details. Pretty soon I should be able to clearly remember that I've never screwed up.

Used to carry my spare key in the sidecase. Realized that a lost key meant the sidecase wouldn't open. Narrowly missed a "dumbass" moment.

My dumbass list is pretty long.

I saw this thread title and I thought I must have started it. Then I read it and didn't recognize it. I didn't know there were any other dumbasses around. I don't feel so lonely anymore...except when I'm cleaning up my dumbass messes or repairing my dumbass errors. Uh oh...I smell smoke. Gotta go.

Remove oil fill cover - check

Remove plug to drain oil - check

Remove oil filter - check

Install and properly tighten new oil filter - check

Add four litres of synthetic oil...??

About halfway through the fourth litre when the oil level wasn't coming up on the sight glass, I realized that I left out a step. At least the engine was well flushed. Unfortunately, it was draining into a container with a couple changes worth of old used oil in it.

Go back to store and buy another four litres of synthetic oil - check (credit card)

Install and tighten drain bolt - CHECK!!!

Fill with another four litres of synthetic oil. - check!

Verify level, replace fill cover and go for a ride!!