I'm always humbled by the riding community.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvininin

Reaction score
I have riding for more than two decades, which is hard for even me to comprehend. During that time I have always been amazed by the kindness and generosity of the riding community. Trying to save a few bucks and maximize the mileage on the OEM set of metzlers. This happened..

zbzE6Bg.png

TripperMike offered up set of used tires so we rode to his place and mounted set of tires that will keep me riding until I get a proper set of tires. I cannot thank Mike enough. What an awesome community. Thanks again!

+1 Mike

Kelvininin,

Perhaps you overlooked a documented LD tire fix that could have kept you rolling a while longer:

076818101314.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tripper Mike knows no bounds in how far he'll go to help someone. Just gotta keep a sharp eye on him so he doesn't try to put one of those square jobbers on your rear wheel.

I have a set of used but serviceable tires for the FJR platform waiting in the garage for just such as emergency...and I agree, the help offered by members of this forum is quire humbling. If you ask for help you will almost always get multiple offers of assistance.

And yes NTXFJR, I am waiting for these guys to debut their new motorcycle tire repair blend...

flex-seal-liquid-rubber.jpg

I'll never forget the day I was 1100 miles from home and just couldn't take the beating any more. My stock 05 windshield, even with its "cool-dude" FJR logo (shown here: CLICKY), just wasn't up to dealing with 80 mph wind all day on the slab. I was dealing with a sore neck due to buffeting at speed and jumped online. I was groaning about all the miles I had ahead of me when a forum member named Charles from the Grand Rapids, Michigan area jumped in and came to the rescue. I was passing near his house and he offered to loan me a "rifle" windshield until I could make it home to Florida. Saved my neck, literally.

No place like this place.

Gary

darksider #44

now then let's talk about the decision making process :whistle:
Yeah, it's great to have friends who make up for your whoopsies.
It's even better to have the forethought to not have whoopsed...and affected your friend's day.

I am of course the least to be speaking of this...but I like it better when "teachable moments" are at someone else's expense. :D

All I know is that before Rambles and Hootervilles, there is the reminder to bring fresh tires.

now then let's talk about the decision making process
whistle.gif
Yeah, it's great to have friends who make up for your whoopsies.
It's even better to have the forethought to not have whoopsed...and affected your friend's day.

I am of course the least to be speaking of this...but I like it better when "teachable moments" are at someone else's expense.
biggrin.png

All I know is that before Rambles and Hootervilles, there is the reminder to bring fresh tires.
Probably the most ironic thing of this whole "teachable moment" is, historically in all the tires I have had mounted in the past, in over 200K miles of riding, this is the first time I didn't change the tires early. This was my first recreational ride in 2 years, so not particularly happy with my decision, less so that it affected others. With infant twins, and a toddler, I may get another opportunity for another fun ride in a year. Sooo Pretty stupid of me to push it this far. But it is what it is.

Kevin, You hit the nail on the head (not your tires) ... these guys are aces !

As I mentioned at brunch, John helped me (for hours ) learn how to dis-assemble my plastic, install risers, and hard wire my GPS.

Bryan brought his mity-vac and helped me flush a weak rear brake.

Marc offered up an old tail bag, and my brother took it, and later a cover.

But they all happened at various tech-sessions @ Tripper Mike's ! He is the center of the hub and shows up a lot! Thanks to you all!
punk.gif

now then let's talk about the decision making process :whistle:
Yeah, it's great to have friends who make up for your whoopsies.It's even better to have the forethought to not have whoopsed...and affected your friend's day.

I am of course the least to be speaking of this...but I like it better when "teachable moments" are at someone else's expense. :D

Probably the most ironic thing of this whole "teachable moment" is, historically in all the tires I have had mounted in the past, in over 200K miles of riding, this is the first time I didn't change the tires early. This was my first recreational ride in 2 years, so not particularly happy with my decision, less so that it affected others. With infant twins, and a toddler, I may get another opportunity for another fun ride in a year. Sooo Pretty stupid of me to push it this far. But it is what it is.
Man, you're not the first guy to misjudge tires, and you won't be the last. For shitsake, I did it twice!! One trip I had help and installed new tires. On the other, I got to waste 4 hours, a couple hundred dollars, and got to drive home in the Uhaul truck sitting next to my pretty wife. Shit happens, especially when other responsibilities take so much presidence.
EDIT: Stupid phone. Lol.

....... less so that it affected others.
Don't think that I may have been one to have been affected. We all got to ride some nice roads for a few hours, and then I got the pleasure of helping a fellow rider out. Kinda made it a complete day, dontcha think?

But they all happened at various tech-sessions @ Tripper Mike's ! He is the center of the hub and shows up a lot!
Please Roger, don't give me that much credit. Any good that I may do is merely a reflection of what others have done. I am not a center of any hub, just another ripple in the lake.

Although there was some brute force to get those tires mounted, It was a pretty straight forward process. I have rebuilt engines and a transmission or two but always shied away from mounting my own tires. Not anymore. I will be mounting my own from here on. Thanks Mike for the Edumacation!