• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I'm designing a luggage bag for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CODan

Reaction score
Admin - if this violates the rules of the forum, please delete or move as required, and please accept my apologies.

To all - hello, this is Dan from Dirt-Bike-Gear.com. I've been making soft luggage for dirt bikers for 7 years now and am looking to move into street bikes in a small way. In the dirt bike world I've often sought out input from others about desired features and that's why I'm posting now.

I'm designing an "everyday" bag for the FJR (I have an 08 FJR) and other bikes. The basic idea is a simple, very nearly waterproof bag designed to very quickly strap onto the seat or the luggage rack. I am motivated to design this because I often find I want either a bit more than my tank bag carries, and sometimes I don't want the tank bag at all.

I realize that there are several other manufacturers in this niche, but I think I've got a unique idea or two that will make my bag sellable.

Here's a basic description:

1) material - a very waterproof material of heavy, durable fabric. Black only.

2) size - roughly 10" long x 9" wide, and about 4" high. That's about the right size to fit neatly on the seat of many large bikes like the FJR, and also on luggage racks like my Garauld sport rack

3) access - via a zipper covered with a flap, around 3 sides of the bag

4) bungee on top - for extra storage capacity

5) attachment - to the luggage rack via included straps, to a seat via the included straps and a very small strap system that mounts under the rear seat. The design is such that you can attach or detach the bag in about 5 seconds, yet it will be very firmly attached. The design is also such that if one of the attachment points fails, the bag cannot come off. It won't use bungees either.

I know the above is vague but it's really a very simple bag. I'm not worried about the basic design. It works, I've tried it.

What I am worried about and what I seek your input on is a few features.

1) soft versus semi-soft vs rigid

In the dirt bike world we generally don't worry about a bag maintaining its 'shape', many of the bags, including all of my bags, have no stiffening inside and so the straps that tighten the bag just compress the fabric. The bag is 'lumpy' so to speak.

But in the street bike world looks are more important. I think we'd generally like things to look better and more shapely. On the other hand I want the bag to be compressible so that stuff doesn't flop around.

Right now I think that I'll use either a rigid or semi-rigid base. This is pretty much a necessity to make it work properly on luggage rack.

The sides and the top will be soft, just fabric. This helps to keep costs down (I manufacture in the US so I must design carefully to minimize construction costs) and allows compression, holding everything nice and tight. The only bad thing is that the bag will be 'lumpy' if cinched down over lumpy contents.

An alternative is to put a bit of stiffener in the top of the bag, which will improve its appearance but still flex somewhat over the bag contents. In any case, I won't be make the sides stiff as I want them to be able to compress down so that contents don't move around.

I'D LIKE YOUR THOUGHTS on the appearance question and how important it is to you that the bag maintain its shape while in use.

2) organization pockets inside the bag

It's certainly possible to create a veritable brief case with multiple pocket for cell phones, business cards, pens, tablets, .... But specialized pockets are less versatile.

I think that I'll put net pockets on either side of the bag but no more, BUT AGAIN I'D LIKE YOUR THOUGHTS.

3) other ideas - if you have any other suggestions I'd like to hear from you. For example, it would be easy to make a larger version of this bag, then make it possible to strap the small bag I've described onto the large bag (or to another small bag) for more capacity. And any other thoughts would be welcome.

I hope to have bags for sale in about 6 weeks. Price isn't set yet but should be moderate given the quality. I'm not interested in making crap.

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

I am looking to buy one now that fir over my Garauld rack, so I will wait for yours to see before buying anything.

If it could be secure to the rack by a lock it would be great, not having to worry when you have to leave the bike for lunch lets say.

I will use the bag for clothes, so waterproof is important

Thanks

Not sure how this fits in your plans, but here is what I have been looking for:

Basically a laptop bag for commuting to work that is water proof. I want it to strap on to the back seat/rear grab bar. I have a bag that works perfect for summer: holds laptop, cables, power supply, mouse, a few folders, and a note book or two. You know: all the stuff you need at the office every day. The kicker is, I want waterproof (really waterproof) for the nine months in Washington that have the potential for wet weather. If the bag had integrated backpack straps or shoulder strap, even better.

Let us know what you come up with...

Not sure how this fits in your plans, but here is what I have been looking for:
Basically a laptop bag for commuting to work that is water proof. I want it to strap on to the back seat/rear grab bar. I have a bag that works perfect for summer: holds laptop, cables, power supply, mouse, a few folders, and a note book or two. You know: all the stuff you need at the office every day. The kicker is, I want waterproof (really waterproof) for the nine months in Washington that have the potential for wet weather. If the bag had integrated backpack straps or shoulder strap, even better.

Let us know what you come up with...
If you could improve on the Nelson-Rigg CL-150, I'd be tempted. It's been a great bag and with the rain cover it's been great. I've put my laptop in there (with adequate padding) and it's survived a nice ride in the rain.

If it's meant to be on the back of the bike, a nice reflective strip would be a must for me. That's my biggest complaint with the CL-150. It comes with a shoulder strap, but mine rarely leaves the bike.

P1000059%20(Large).JPG

I'd been looking for a duffle bag that would work like this, so glad you're bringing it up. I'd like to see a larger bag than what you're planning, though I can see the need for this bag as well.

I'd like to see a longer bag that conforms over both the rear seat and rack, thinking that this would be better than a trunk anyhow. I would be wide enough not to impact opening the side bags, tall enough to store some real heft, easily removable to take off for motel or campsite. It'd be great if it had hooks & straps designed for the FJR. Nice if it also had tie-downs on top to add additional gear/bags as well. It would be great if it would work without having to buy another custom rack.

As a bonus, perhaps when fully stuffed, it would work a bit like a back rest, or include some sort of internal frame that would do so.

I'll second the motion for a laptop bag. Laptops don't fit well in any of the standard Yami cases, not even the standard Yami top box. Would love to be able to strap a rigid, or semi-rigid bag onto the back seat or in place of the Yami top box (of course when not riding two-up) for daily laptop commute.

A laptop bag would be great. I have a Garauld sport rack also. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Heck yeah. I would like a bag that has hooks included that will sit in the passenger seat. Or on my Gerauld rack with backrest. If I could have anything I want, it would also magnet to the tank.Normally, I would put it in the passenger seat.

I want to be able to carry my camera (big SLR with 28x300 zoom). It is a bigger camera. Cigars, maybe water or soda. Some extra layers of clothes. Something to snack on.

I got layers of jackets in the saddle bags. I got extra gloves. I got more clothes (depending on the season). When I am headed out for a period of time, I use the saddle bags for the essentials. I need another bag for all the other stuff. Stuff when I am going for a day ride.

When I got on a longer trip, I bungee some luggage to the rack.

Black is good. I think I like the black plastic hokey things. I want it to connect to my 2007 FJR in the passenger seat with ease. And on the rack.

I like the reflective material also. I would like it to say FJR or something like that (for an additional cost of course).

Art

A laptop bag would be great. I have a Garauld sport rack also. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Never thought of a laptop bag specifically for bikes. Seems to be that the perfect bag is a pelican case (hard plastic, absolutely waterproof) perhaps in a softbag that makes attaching it easy.

OK, just out of curiosity, what are your wants for a motorcycle specific laptop bag?

Note: absolutely, truly waterproof in a soft bag is hard and expensive to do. AND it's going to get wet and grimy, not something you really want to haul into the office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I have what works really well as a laptop bag, I will do my best to describe it - maybe even take some pics tomorrow when its light out and could show it on the bike. It needs to be highly water protected though. The bag I use has a main zipper that opens to the large part of the bag. When looking inside, there is a padded sleeve that the lap top slides into and has a strap that locks it in. This sleeve would be on the bottom as it lays on the bike, or closest to your back if wearing it. Above that is a pretty good space for books, files, lunch, clothes, what ever. What makes this bag useful to me is there are nylon straps with clips on it that allow the bag to expand. I use these clips to strap it around the grab bar on the back of the FJR. It doesn't budge.

In addition to this main section, there is one other section on top of that which I use for cables, mouse, gloves, novels, etc. Then above that is just a mesh pocket for stuff ok in the open air. I throw the badge to my office in there, whatever. Last, there is a mesh pocket on each side that can cinch up. Holds a bottle of water or something similar. I love this bag for the FJR but wanted something for fouler weather. Mine also works as a backpack if I don't want to tie it down or if the passenger wants to wear it.

Clear as mud?

BR,

That makes perfect sense, but why not just get a pelican case or a metal case. Either would be completely waterproof and very strong?

A second thought is that a bag strapped to motorcycle ridden in the rain will get wet and grimy. Do you really want to throw that over your shoulder? I think that you'd have to have a separate outer cover that you could slip off, folded into a pocket on the regular laptop bag, just so your not dealing with a dirty bag.

I will think about a laptop bag for motorcycles.

Anyone want to comment on my first idea? I'm going forward with that in any case because I need one personally and my experience in the dirt bike world is that if I need something, so do quite a few other people.

Thanks.

BR,
That makes perfect sense, but why not just get a pelican case or a metal case. Either would be completely waterproof and very strong?

A second thought is that a bag strapped to motorcycle ridden in the rain will get wet and grimy. Do you really want to throw that over your shoulder? I think that you'd have to have a separate outer cover that you could slip off, folded into a pocket on the regular laptop bag, just so your not dealing with a dirty bag.

I will think about a laptop bag for motorcycles.

Anyone want to comment on my first idea? I'm going forward with that in any case because I need one personally and my experience in the dirt bike world is that if I need something, so do quite a few other people.

Thanks.

I think a soft bag works better because it at least tries to mold to the rear seat and grab rail. I don't have much experience with how wet and grimy it would be. Most of the air/rain/grime mix seems to pass by that area but I will need someone else to weigh in with their experience. A cover could be a good answer as well. I guess I should mull over designing a dry bag that mounts to the back of the FJR that allows you to slid in a laptop bag or similar items. This would allow a water proof bag to be securely attached and then just open a flap and pull out the inner bag.

I think a soft bag works better because it at least tries to mold to the rear seat and grab rail. I don't have much experience with how wet and grimy it would be. Most of the air/rain/grime mix seems to pass by that area but I will need someone else to weigh in with their experience.
I agree that a bag sitting in the passenger seat does have some protection from dirt and grime, but when mounted on the luggage rack, the bottom of the bag (and some on the sides) can pick up a lot of dirt, depending on where and when you ride.

I've taken to putting a square of vinyl, rubbery material (1/8" thick) between the luggage rack and the bag atop it. I intended it to protect the finish on the luggage rack, but as a bonus it also takes the brunt of the road grime. It's easy to rinse off and keeps the bag much cleaner...

YMMV...

Here is what I use... it works great and is stable, made by leatherman and it keeps its shape

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

The mounting points concerned me... (painted)

B...........

Hrms...

A bag, much like the moto-fiz medium bag only 'obtainable' would be a start :)

I like the idea of a laptop-ish bag or back pack type that has straps or quick release attachments that could stay on the bike (say under the pillion seat) that I could quickly and easily attach/detach.

I could then leave the top case at home and/or carry even more shit than I already do.

Now you got me thinking about attaching some mounting strips to some of the bags I currently have.

-MD

can you make the bag look like the one on the back of this motorcycle?

0196172-lg.jpg

:p

Can you make it waterproof without a rain cover?

Hidden backpack straps are a great feature that I appreciate.

A semi-rigid bottom helps when we strap it down on a surface less wide than the bag itself.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.