• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I'm designing a luggage bag for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I use... it works great and is stable, made by leatherman and it keeps its shape
IMG_0443.jpg
Good lord, that's a big one!

Dan,

How about if you make a modular system.

You could have a laptop base, with a zip on/off top bag, with additional zip on/off side bags of different sizes.

I think this would open the options for anyone to get exactly whatever they wanted -- also the modular system components could be used on several different scoots. Also this would allow for zipping off a small bag to take with you and leave the rest on the scoot.

Here is what I use... it works great and is stable, made by leatherman and it keeps its shape
IMG_0443.jpg
Good lord, that's a big one!

====

Thats what she said....... oh wait ... thats another story...

I use this on long trips.... Now visualize it 60% shorter in height, width and length about the same ... still shaped the same... laptop space in the middle, over the seat, reducing vibration and

maybe permanent foam that the laptop sits on??......

B...............

Well, here's what I'm gonna do...

1) make the 'everyday' bag I earlier described, about 11x10x4 high, with a rigid base, waterproof zipper, big flap, waterproof material, some sort of strap/bungee system on top, a couple of organizing pockets on the inside, carry handle, reflective tape or webbing, quick attachment (like 10 seconds), fasten to seat or luggage.

2) start work on a waterproof bag designed to hold laptop bags...laptop goes in its bag, that bag goes in my waterproof bag, which straps to the bike via the same system as works above. One size at first probably for 15" laptops (sized to hold their bag of course). By waterproof I don't mean you can throw it in a lake, but it will very watertight on the road, in the rain.

3) if#1 succeeds then I'll come out with a bigger version of the same thing, just taller, which attaches just like #1. #1 will attach to this one so you can stack them.

4) if these succeed, more to come. My first business began with 4 products and grew as I developed more, so maybe...

I'll post photos when #1 is ready.

Thanks

I might end up being interested in what you are working on once I actually see it. I can tell you right now that bag #1 is WAY too small to be useful to me. If I needed something this small I'd use my tank bag.

I presently have a Tourmaster Deluxe bag. I use it on my seat & it is just short of overlapping the saddlebags too much to be able to get into them. Using the rain cover has been a pain more than once, though.

If I were going to buy another bag, it would need to be geared towards touring. I'll be looking at the developments with interest.

For me, the Nelson-Rigg CL150 is almost a perfect bag. I mount it on the rear seat (keeping the rack free for big stuff like tent, sleeping bag, etc) and it's perfect. EXCEPT, for the mounting. The bungees are inconvenient and not secure. Here's what I'd like:

A bag the size and shape of the CL150 mounted on a rear seat pan with an INTERNAL quick disconnect. I know this is a lot, but I think it's perfect. The bag would be permanently mounted to the seat pan and thereby lock to the bike. Don't have to worry about somebody popping for bungee cords and walking off with your bag and its contents. But inside would be a quick disconnected (slide mount, turn bolts, etc.) so you could remove the bag.

I know it's not perfect. A knife can easily open a locked soft bag, or semi-rigid bag. But this type of setup would stop the crimes of opportunity (snatch and grab).

So, that's my 2 cents worth.

Jon

Well, here's what I'm gonna do...
1) make the 'everyday' bag I earlier described, about 11x10x4 high, with a rigid base, waterproof zipper, big flap, waterproof material, some sort of strap/bungee system on top, a couple of organizing pockets on the inside, carry handle, reflective tape or webbing, quick attachment (like 10 seconds), fasten to seat or luggage.

2) start work on a waterproof bag designed to hold laptop bags...laptop goes in its bag, that bag goes in my waterproof bag, which straps to the bike via the same system as works above. One size at first probably for 15" laptops (sized to hold their bag of course). By waterproof I don't mean you can throw it in a lake, but it will very watertight on the road, in the rain.

3) if#1 succeeds then I'll come out with a bigger version of the same thing, just taller, which attaches just like #1. #1 will attach to this one so you can stack them.

4) if these succeed, more to come. My first business began with 4 products and grew as I developed more, so maybe...

I'll post photos when #1 is ready.

Thanks
My laptop is 13'' X 17'' :huh:

Admin - if this violates the rules of the forum, please delete or move as required, and please accept my apologies.
It does. You've been around long enough to known about the rules you agreed to.

Selling on the BoardYou are only allowed to use the forum as a member, not as a commercial vendor. Anything that could be construed as marketing, advertising, or sales related activities without Administrator approval will not be tolerated. Please contact and Administrator in advance if you would like to represent commercial interests on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.