I'm in a quandry...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
OK.

A couple of months ago, I installed my Wild Bill highway peg brackets with some awesome footpegs - these give me a very long and wide position, which is wonderful for long distances, and they actually let me stretch out my legs without the edges of the GenII adjustable fairing panels digging into my shins.....

149108272-L.jpg

149108321-L.jpg

But I have noticed that when riding in rain, the bow wake set up by the front tire hits me in the instep of my boot - which, while soaking the leather, doesn't penetrate the goretex liner - however, the boots get very wet, and very COLD.

So -

I ordered a set of the GenII foot shields from a dealer in the UK - I paid 139.99 pounds, plus carriage - a total of 168.00 GBP.

Beautiful !!! Painted to match a color that we can not get here in the states CAUSE I CLICKED THE WRONG D&*&N BOX.... but that's another story. They still kinda go well with Wonky's blue...

149109217-L.jpg

149109174-L.jpg

And now for the subject of this post -

I can't use them both at the same time.

Foot Shields don't fit with the pegs - - -

Foot Pegs don't fit with the shields - - -

So -

Comments? Suggestions?

Which should I use?

Perhaps a seasonal based change? Or maybe modify the shields to allow the pegs?

Or another FJR1300 for rain use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal preference.

FJR #1 has had the Wild Bill Highway pegs for most of its existence. When I bought FJR#2, it came with the Euro only footguards that FJRGoodies sells for the GEN I FJRs. Well, I live in a place that is primarily hot, though I do have occasion to ride in some cooler temps, but in the end..............

I couldn't live without the Wild Bill Highway Pegs for any trip more than a few hundred miles, and it's either one or the other.

I removed the footguards and now Skiwi is the proud new owner. :rolleyes:

While I ordered another set of Wild Bill's creations to adorn FJR#2.

Still...............gotta love that Euro only color. Wish they had it here.

Hal, good looking shields. Not able to really make out the first pic in relation as how the pegs fit in with the shields but personally I would dish the shields, get a pair of slip-on over boots for the rain and a pair of electric socks to fit in with the electric vest for those cold wet times. Here is a link to the overboots. Hope this helped. Del. <>< LinkBoots

Uhm... how are you still alive with such long non-pivoting parts sticking out the side of your bike like that?

In the coldest and most wet part of the Winter I don't ride long distances (since I am a prime example of dcarver's Candy Butt Assn. member), so the footshields are installed and the Wild Bill's footpegs are stored in the garage. Once the temps rise (like now), the footpegs go back on.

That won't solve your dillema or riding rallies, etc. in the winter. Have you tried wome of the "slip over" motorcycle rain boots for Winter riding. That might add a layer that would help with the cold-water blast, and they'd be easily stored when not in use.

Personal preference.
FJR #1 has had the Wild Bill Highway pegs for most of its existence. When I bought FJR#2, it came with the Euro only footguards that FJRGoodies sells for the GEN I FJRs. Well, I live in a place that is primarily hot, though I do have occasion to ride in some cooler temps, but in the end..............

I couldn't live without the Wild Bill Highway Pegs for any trip more than a few hundred miles, and it's either one or the other.

I removed the footguards and now Skiwi is the proud new owner. :rolleyes:

While I ordered another set of Wild Bill's creations to adorn FJR#2.

Still...............gotta love that Euro only color. Wish they had it here.
Tis' a pretty color - If that color were available here, I'd consider it. The comfort afforded by the WB peg brackets is huge and I'm not going to remove them.

Hal, good looking shields. Not able to really make out the first pic in relation as how the pegs fit in with the shields but personally I would dish the shields, get a pair of slip-on over boots for the rain and a pair of electric socks to fit in with the electric vest for those cold wet times. Here is a link to the overboots. Hope this helped. Del. <>< LinkBoots
Del, Thanks so much for the link. If I'm unable to mod the shields, this is the way I'll go.

Uhm... how are you still alive with such long non-pivoting parts sticking out the side of your bike like that?
Chornbe, they have little tugsten bearings in the tips, which allow them to roll when in contact with the pavement. :rolleyes: In additon, I've found that having the pegs there allows me to just lean the bike over instead of deploying the side stand. Very handy. :D NOT. They do not swivel - they fold up. Haven't touched them down yet. I've gotten in the habit of just flipping them up with my toes when I'm approaching the twisties.

In the coldest and most wet part of the Winter I don't ride long distances (since I am a prime example of dcarver's Candy Butt Assn. member), so the footshields are installed and the Wild Bill's footpegs are stored in the garage. Once the temps rise (like now), the footpegs go back on.
That won't solve your dillema or riding rallies, etc. in the winter. Have you tried some of the "slip over" motorcycle rain boots for Winter riding. That might add a layer that would help with the cold-water blast, and they'd be easily stored when not in use.
Good suggestion Mike - are they available in Hi-Viz? :D Looks like you and Del are thinking alike - a very good idea.

What would it take to modify the shields to fit with the pegs?
Don't know. But I'm gonna look into it.

Here's pics of the install diagrams:

149163522-L.jpg

149163536-L.jpg

How much do you ride in the rain? How often do you need the highway pegs? Pick the discomfort that occurs the greater amount of time, and solve that one. If it were me I'd keep the pegs, but maybe you live in Seattle or something.

kaitsdad, I've got the same setup as you show with the exception of 1" shorter pegs. Wish I had your longer ones......... In any case, you might think about rotating the dogleg all the way forward for even more leg room. I wonder if they would touch down sooner with the downward angle you have set?

But I agree, my knees wouldn't make it 500 miles without this combo. Many times I rest my legs on top of the pegs for even more of a stretch.

OK, I decided the title doesn't do justice to my footguard installation, so I'm starting a new pointless thread . . .