I'm interested in your opinions, Me, I'm pissed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blassoff

Its just the dog in me, baby
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Very briefly, I recently purchased a Seth Laam saddle from another forum user. All seemed to go swimmingly until the saddle arrived. Unbeknownst to me the saddle was a Seth Laam creation on a Corbin base. I researched it and yes, Seth will work with anybodies base (he charges more for Corbins cause they require more labor).

Personally, I don't care for Corbin saddles, they're heavy as hell and I've never found them to be comfortable. My argument is that I believe the seller should have disclosed to me prior to completing the sale that the saddle was not an OEM Yamaha base but in fact a Corbin base.

Prior to this episode I didn't know that Seth would build on other seat builders product. I'm almost positive that Russell will not.

So I'm pissed that the seller failed to let me know that my New (to me) Seth Laam saddle is actually a Corbin re-tread. I feel cheated.  

Do I have a case or am I being a whiny little sheite?  :grrr:     I think I'm right (but I always do until someone smarter than me sets me straight).

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you, Baz

I agree with you that the seller should have disclosed the Corbin base; however, you did get a saddle built by Seth Laam. Other than the Corbin base, are you unhappy with the saddle? Does it fit as expected? Has the seller refused to buy it back? 

I'm 6' tall. I'm used to the fit of the 2014 bike I had. The 04 is closer seat to pegs and the seat is so scooped out that I feel like I'm squished. It fits as expected but the seller refuses to acknowledge that he potentially deceived me by omitting pertinent facts. He's offered nothing. My nuclear option is to file a claim with paypal stating that what I received isn't what I ordered.

Put it up for sale with full disclosure.  Might be some folks who would appreciate a Laam seat that is lower and very likely more comfortable than the Corbin.  Can't hurt to try.  I expect even if the original seller was willing to take it back,  you would still be out the shipping cost.

Put it up for sale with full disclosure.  Might be some folks who would appreciate a Laam seat that is lower and very likely more comfortable than the Corbin.  Can't hurt to try.  I expect even if the original seller was willing to take it back,  you would still be out the shipping cost.
+1

My objection to the Corbin that came on my first FJR was the rock-hardness of it.  Seth uses a far better foam (combination of two).  I'd expect it to be pretty good.  But of course, it's your ass.

It seems to me that IF the seller was aware that the base was not an OEM FJR seat base then he should have told you. I bought a used Laam seat a while back and I certainly expected that it would come mounted on an OEM FJR seat base.

Just curious, did you not get a good set of pic's before you purchased the seat? It seems the Corbin base would have stood out in the pics? They are NOTHING like an FJR base. 

You didn't mention how much you paid for it. If it was reasonably priced, AND considering that it seems to be LOWER than a normal Laam OR FJR seat, you should be able to sell it quickly to someone on one of the FJR forums, there are lot's of vertically challenged FJR owners, and if the price is right the buyer should pay the shipping charges. Seems to me that for a certain segment of the FJR population, this would be a real find, a low Corbin seat that doesn't feel like it's made of cement.  

If however, you paid top dollar for the seat, your seller should help, or pay for the shipping charges, if he/she is a reasonable person. JMO

meeself, I like all things Corbin except of course , the price.....not sure what would be bad about the base except possibly the weight...and yes, It would have been good if that was disclosed...

A Seth Lamm is a Lamm Seat on an FJR Factory pan. Given that the Corbin pan has no hi/lo adjustment, the seller owes you a full refund. 

There is a reason why I almost always buy new. I know what I am getting. Actually I think both of you are at fault. The seller for not disclosing and you for not asking enough questions or requesting more pictures. Anyways that's my position on the matter for what's it worth.

Learn from our mistakes is the lesson.

Good luck, Dave

A Seth Lamm is a Lamm Seat on an FJR Factory pan. Given that the Corbin pan has no hi/lo adjustment, the seller owes you a full refund. 
I agree that the seat is not as expected and if I had sold it I would give a full refund; however, it is up to the seller at this point. 

I don't see how the buyer could anticipate that the seat was made on a different seat pan from stock Yamaha.  I did not see a problem with the Corbin pan until I read here that it is not adjustable. That makes it significantly different from stock. 

You didn't get what you expected. 

Contacting the seller and discussing the issue should be your first course of action. They may be reasonable and offer you a refund. Most of the inmates here are pretty reasonable people. 

Are you willing to resell it, and if so do you think you can get what you bought it for?  If it were me what I would offer the seller is to keep the saddle and resell it, and the seller refunds you the shipping cost that you paid. 

Sorry, I've got to say a Seth Lamm seat is a seat Seth Lamm made.  He makes seats for all makes and styles of motorcycle, all of which start with whatever seat the buyer gives to him.  He doesn't make seat pans, he puts foam and fabric on seat pans he got from his customers.  My gut reaction to this is that somebody had a seat that Seth built and sold it as a Seth Lamm seat, because it was. 

Seats , windshields and clothing...  are so unique  that everybody wants to 'try it before you buy it'.

I know this so I (hardly) never buy clothing without trying it on. 

The used seats and windshields out there are out there because someone didn't like it. That's your first (3) question ... why are you selling it? What's wrong with it? Any issues?

I feel bad for the buyer and the seller.  Neither is happy with this seat.  So we need to find someone else to 'try it'. 

Run another ad and someone will want to check it out.  Tell them the story, and maybe find a positive experience.  They maybe hated the Corbin but loved the pan ???

Good luck to all buyers and sellers.  90% happy with most of my choices ... but rarely are they perfect. 

Sorry, I've got to say a Seth Lamm seat is a seat Seth Lamm made.  He makes seats for all makes and styles of motorcycle, all of which start with whatever seat the buyer gives to him.  He doesn't make seat pans, he puts foam and fabric on seat pans he got from his customers.  My gut reaction to this is that somebody had a seat that Seth built and sold it as a Seth Lamm seat, because it was is.  
Agree.

The used seats and windshields out there are out there because someone didn't like it. That's your first (3) question ... why are you selling it? What's wrong with it? Any issues?
I agree with this. It's like every time I see a "custom" seat go up for sale, I question what they didn't like about it that is motivating them to move to something else. Not unlike seeing a used Toyota on a Cadillac lot. Did they hate it so much they completely switched brands?  I then wonder why I see so few Russells for sale (not really... we all know why).

But the seller should at least be open to discussing options.

I’d have to agree with SacramentoMike here. If you were against getting one built on a Corbin pan you should have asked the seller before you bought it. You have no proof the seller purposely hid that information from you, and it sounds like he was completely oblivious that what seat pan was used made a difference (just like me) If he failed to mention some damage to the seat that be different.

I also don’t think all seats and windshields are out there because the owner didn’t like them. Many times it’s just because they need the money or they are selling the bike and know they will get more if they sell aftermarket stuff separately. When I sold my FJR I sold my Corbin separately (and it went quickly)

And even if they don’t like it, doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with it. Comfort items like seats and screens are subjective. I put a Corbin seat on almost every bike I have owned, because I love them. But I know others don’t.

Sounds like you don’t like the seat so you can be one of them that does sell it for that reason. Am sure you’ll find a buyer. 

Status
Not open for further replies.