I'm new here and have a couple of questions on my '13 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisz

Reaction score
Have been perusing the owner's manual and came across couple of items I'd like you fine folks to comment on:

• The small (glove box?) cubby hole on the left side of dash that is electrified, the manual mentions not to put heat sensitive items in there, what expected use of this cubby hole? Can one ride with the lid open?
  • The manual also states that if using the side panniers not to use the top box and vise versa?! I see many photos of FJRs with both top box and side panniers in use.
Thanks in advance for this communities words of wisdom.

Chris...

I keep a few small tools and my registration in the box. As far as leaving it open, why. Most FJR riders ride with the panniers and a top box including myself.

Ride and enjoy the 2013, I really have enjoyed mine.

Chris, Welcome to the FJR and the forum.

The glove box is for gloves, or a kick stand pad, or a phone charger (low wattage) not electric clothes or a tire pump (they need to go direct to the battery (tender).

The warning is a bunch of (old) lawyers who saw ST1300 get a little wavy from high speed interference w/ no pillion w/ all 3 bags. I'd say don't worry about it (but my lawyer stopped me) so just keep it reasonable or take off the bags (or the trunk) before flying. You'll be fine on the FJR ...DAMHIK

Enjoy your new ride!!! YMMV
punk.gif

Glove box warning is because it is conceivable that the box might get hot, most likely in a heat-soak situation (stuck in traffic or similar). I've never noticed mine getting warm, though I have rarely ridden in very high ambient temperatures.

Never known anyone take notice of the "don't have side bags and top case on at the same time" warning. The only comment I would make is that you shouldn't overload them, at least if you are riding over irregular roads. The rear frame has been known to crack. I do admit to overloading mine anytime I go on a longish trip, so far my frame has remained in one piece.

• The small (glove box?) cubby hole on the left side of dash that is electrified, the manual mentions not to put heat sensitive items in there, what expected use of this cubby hole? Can one ride with the lid open?
Ok - I'll come clean. I keep various bits inside that glove-box including a small bag of tools and things. As I often go looking for something while it's in the garage I'll usually leave the lid open so as not to keep turning the key on and off. Of course when one sits on the seat that open lid isn't very visible. I probably have more miles than I care to admit riding around with that damn thing open. Haven't lost anything yet that I know of and if anyone else has noticed they've been polite enough not to point it out and laugh.

My glove box holds registration and insurance cards. Not much else will fit in there with the USB adapter. Just so you know, I rode for six months with my iPhone in the closed glovebox without problems, but it was during a long, cold, and dark Atlanta winter.
coolsmiley02.gif

Many of us ride with hardcases (panniers) and a topbox, including me. It's a Pelican 1520 case that hasn't come off since I got it from Petey 40,000 miles ago. I've noted no handling issues at speeds from zero to a little over 100 mph. Some crazy folks ride with panniers, topbox, and a trailer.

Welcome to the Forum, chrisz. Get out to a meet-and-greet and shake a few hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just learning about the glove box heat issue from this thread. I only read the maintenance part of the owners manual. Who has time to read when you have a new FJR1300 sitting there. I have ridden with my cell phone in there for hours on end in California summer weather and the phone never felt hot to me and it still works.

Welcome Chris. We are glad to have you.

Which top box do you have? If a Givi, consider purchasing the SR-357 rack that goes with it (if you don't already have one). It's design is much stronger than simply mounting a plate on top of the stock plastic rack.

Thanks guys for the quick responses to my inquiry, they give my some comfort. I don't have a top box yet, just a Givi mounting plate, that came with the bike.

Was doing some routine maintenance (fluids, synch, lube) to get a baseline of status of the bike the last few days. One thing that I find reassuring is I havn't found any reported problems with either the ABS actuators or the final drives. I've previously owned a BMW RT and those items were very popular topics with the BMW crowd.

Thanks guys for the quick responses to my inquiry, they give my some comfort. I don't have a top box yet, just a Givi mounting plate, that came with the bike.
Was doing some routine maintenance (fluids, synch, lube) to get a baseline of status of the bike the last few days. One thing that I find reassuring is I havn't found any reported problems with either the ABS actuators or the final drives. I've previously owned a BMW RT and those items were very popular topics with the BMW crowd.
Only older FJRs have ABS issues, and generally only the rear ABS - like mine. A lot of people didn't go through all the steps to properly flush and the actuators for the rear get clogged/stuck. Since the front does 90+% of the work for braking, I just don't use the rear brake unless I have to.

Never heard of any driveshaft issues with the FJR. Only driveline stuff I've heard (and experienced) is that shifting down to first gear can be clunky, particularly if you aren't using full synthetic.

You can let go of the pull you have historically received from the Barbarian Bavarian Sirens. They have mesmerized and brainwashed you with their snake oil and charm for the last time.

No sir, now you have chosen a REAL mileage eater motorcycle. I invite you to visit the Iron Butt Association website. Take a look at the IBA rally winners over the past 10-15 years. Glance over the top 10 from each rally. Do you see anything in common? Yeppers - the Yamaha FJR1300. To be clear, I don't ever expect to do anything even remotely close to an Iron Butt rally ride. I think those guys are 1 French fry short of a Happy Meal. But a marathon is not a sprint. You first have to finish it to win it. And to finish, you need to have an EXTREMELY reliable motorcycle that can take industrial grade abuse day in and day out and still ask for more. You need a bike that will offer you 200,000 miles (or even more) with only regularly scheduled maintenance. You need a bike that can be worked on by the common man (or woman) with common tools and universally available parts.

Some things speak for themselves.....

chrisz posted (and I have annotated): ..... One thing that I find reassuring is (1) I haven't found any reported problems with either the ABS actuators or (2) the final drives. I've previously owned a BMW RT and those items were very popular topics with the BMW crowd.
(1) As mentioned above, early issues, but they were long gone by 2013.

(2) Yeah, BMW final drives are a source of amusement around here. Biggest FJR final drive issue I've heard? hppants shooting his final drive drain bolt at G Squared. Full story is Lesson #1 here. Make sure yours goes in more than finger tight.

I keep my toll road transponder attached to the lid. When I get to the toll booth I open the box and ride through. Used to keep toll money in there, but had some blow out.

Welcome FNG

The glove box I typically use for the GPS cable and my wallet. I also ride a 2013 and have recently added a SHAD top box and I was also concerned based on the warning. Instead I listened to the folks on the site and will just keep the weight in the box on the low side.

BTW I am just down the road from you in Guelph. Which dealer are you using?

Wow, thanks guys for the positive feedback on my latest purchase, making me confident in my decision to go with the FJR. For me it was a toss up between a newish BMW RT, Honda ST1300 or a newish FJR, but this forum (been lurking here over the winter) convinced me to give the Yammi a try.

HTW1300, I've purchased my bike from a dealer in Hensall Ontario.

I just replaced all the fluids, did a throttle sync and installed Canyon Cages (I tend to drop bikes every now and then).

There is a local dealer in Cambridge (Performance Cycle) that is useful for parts as needed, but I do my own maintenance as required and if within my capabilities.

HPPANTS, I was aware of the FJRs capabilities on the Iron Butt rallies which did provide additional support for the FJR.

Nice folks here, I think I'm gonna like being here!
smile.png

FNG, I use Performance Cycle for my winter storage and Mary in the parts department is great for all of your options.

Hope to see you riding in the area some day.

This was a ride last November in Prescott AZ with a handful of Concours riders and one or two other FJR1300s.

We were all in full battle rattle.

FJR_Prescott.png

This was the result of passing a county sheriff on a lonely back road at 105-110mph.

He was very cool about it, he asked us to slow down and then he left.

There were no stability issues noted due to speed.

P1020189.jpg

If you've not don't trunk and sides before, the tip is heavy stuff goes as low as possible. Lighter/bulkier stuff goes high (marshmallows, helium balloons, etc.); things that have more volume but less weight. That keeps your center of gravity lower and helps handling.